Ushuaia Argentina Shore X on your own

crbonfiber

Does anyone know if there are many tour options if you go on your own. Are there vendors on the pier where the tender docks?

Also I would like to do the train tour that goes to the national park. Has anyone done this on there own?

Thanks

There are a lot of catamarans you can go out on for $40 or less (if you get a group, they reduce your price) to see the "lighthouse at the end of the world" and to do the Beagle Channel. We used Canero Catamarans and it was a new Catamaran and had coffee and pastries. It seemed we got to go for $36 pp since we had 12. They were right across from the t-shirt shop on the pier.

I know the taxis were asking $100 for the trip to the National Park but we just walked around the town after doing the 2 1/2 hour catamaran trip which was great because they took you to see the sea lions and I can't remember the birds but they looked like penquins and there was thousands of them.

Enjoy! Galen

P.S. The people were also on the pier to do the train ride which had to be cheaper than the ship's tour.

There are a lot of catamarans you can go out on for $40 or less (if you get a group, they reduce your price) to see the "lighthouse at the end of the world" and to do the Beagle Channel. We used Canero Catamarans and it was a new Catamaran and had coffee and pastries. It seemed we got to go for $36 pp since we had 12. They were right across from the t-shirt shop on the pier.

I know the taxis were asking $100 for the trip to the National Park but we just walked around the town after doing the 2 1/2 hour catamaran trip which was great because they took you to see the sea lions and I can't remember the birds but they looked like penquins and there was thousands of them.

Enjoy! Galen

P.S. The people were also on the pier to do the train ride which had to be cheaper than the ship's tour.

Great thanks for your help

A group of us from our roll call got together to do a catamaran cruise--up-close-and-personal with the sealions! We got a group rate and paid less than $36 pp on the Barracuda (and for a longer cruise than Catamaranes Canoeros was offering that day). On cruise days, some of the catamaran companies change their regular daily schedules, so it pays to e-mnail in advance to double check. We lucked out. The water was glassy and the sun was shining and we had a terrific cruise.

I regret that we did not take a cab into the National Park after the catamaran cruise, especially after I heard everyone talking about it. There were still plenty of cabs available when we got back from the cruise around 12:30pm, and still time to head out to the park.

The Ushuaia tourist bureau http://www.e‐ushuaia.com puts out a pdf of what to do in Ushuaia. You can download it. I found it very helpful for planning.

One couple on our cruise arranged for a horseback ride and loved it. Read more about it in their review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=52883

A group of us from our roll call got together to do a catamaran cruise--up-close-and-personal with the sealions! We got a group rate and paid less than $36 pp on the Barracuda (and for a longer cruise than Catamaranes Canoeros was offering that day). On cruise days, some of the catamaran companies change their regular daily schedules, so it pays to e-mnail in advance to double check. We lucked out. The water was glassy and the sun was shining and we had a terrific cruise.

I regret that we did not take a cab into the National Park after the catamaran cruise, especially after I heard everyone talking about it. There were still plenty of cabs available when we got back from the cruise around 12:30pm, and still time to head out to the park.

The Ushuaia tourist bureau http://www.e‐ushuaia.com puts out a pdf of what to do in Ushuaia. You can download it. I found it very helpful for planning.

One couple on our cruise arranged for a horseback ride and loved it. Read more about it in their review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=52883

Thanks for the advice. The tourist board link did not work.

Hi,

The train has an office at the pier. It was a lot of fun if not too short. There is a first class thats more roomie. I recomend that.

As far as the Catamarans please be advised that it is very windy. The ships cat's came back over an hour late and we were late leaving. If that had happened on a private tour the ship would have been gone. You most likeky are there just for about 6 hours so you must be mindfull of the time

Jeffrey

Hi,

As far as the Catamarans please be advised that it is very windy. The ships cat's came back over an hour late and we were late leaving. If that had happened on a private tour the ship would have been gone. You most likeky are there just for about 6 hours so you must be mindfull of the time

Jeffrey

Here is the link for Ushuaia What-to Do. It was upated 2/2009: http://www.e-ushuaia.com/servicios/whattodo.pdf Sorry about posting a dead link.

As for the weather, it isn't always windy. As I said above, the channel was like glass and the sun was shining the day we were there. Some of us suffer sea-sickness and wanted to check the seas before deciding to go on the Beagle Channel cruise. We did not make any reservations for the cruise because we had heard about the weather; we just showed up at the ticket offices and spoke with a couple of different companies getting prices before we chose one.

Celebrity Infinity was in port well over 6 hours. We arrived at 6 am and did not leave until 4 pm. There was plenty of time to take a channel cruise and then for those who wanted to to go out to the park, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of tours offered in Ushuaia by vans. The problem is that many of them do not speak any or very little English. Many of them are located about 1 to 2 blocks away from the pier area. Also there are many catamaran tours offered in the dock area, for quite a bit less than the ship tours.

On my recent port stop in Ushuaia the train ride got poor reviews.

The chair lift to the top of Martial glacier was not operating - not sure why or for how long- but if it is working when you visit you can grab a cab for less than a sawbuck to get there and ascend. That would occupy 1/2 day and you easily spend the rest checking out the town. It is quite nice and the shopping is good.

Archived