Heartbroken!! May need to cancel

lisid

OK, so really it's "Ulner nerve damage" in BOTH elbows..He's afraid he MAY need surgery (one at a time & recoup is aprox 6 wks..per). Having final payment in MAY is what has him spooked...No, we did not yet get insurance (stupid....we just thought we could get it before final payment)..and having not purchased at the time of deposit...most carriers won't cover a pre-exsisting cond......those that will are a FORTUNE!

I keep telling him that me & our boys (16 & 12 ) will carry everything...he's scared...plus, being out of work is straining the budget a bit (I'm sure that also has him freaked out).

Thanks for all the comments so far...keep them coming!!!

As the parent of three twenty-somethings I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO GO GO! Even if you have to Budget, Budget, Budget. This could likely be you last chance at a week's vacation with your 16 year old - not saying definitely but very possibly. After this it's girls, jobs, cars, friends, school - all good, don't get me wrong -- but big changes - they're-a-comin'.

Not only is this possibly your's and your husband' last chance, it could also be your 12 year-old's last chance for this kind of time with his big brother. A cruise is a wonderful family trip. Lots of time doing stress-free WICKED fun stuff. I did it with mine and it is a wonderful wonderful memory. We talk about how much fun it was often.

I hope you go if you can and and hope you don't end up saying 'we should have.' If you can't, you can't... sometimes life happens but it's the things we DON"T do that we regret the most. IMHO.

If you're looking for (not saying you are but if you are) budgeting ideas cruisecritic is a great place to get ideas. Maybe some doozies will help convince your husband.

I f I were in your situation I would cancel the cruise or book it for later in the year. If you go and money is tight you will spend the whole time worrying about the money you are spending. This would cause you stress and that can cause many other illnesses. You may need that money later on to pay a mortgage payment and you would feel a lot worse if you had your home repossed through non payment of mortgage just so you could go on a weeks cruise.

People deal with pain and illness in different ways and if it is the pain that is stopping your husband from going then it is totally up to him to decide what is right for him and as his family (although it may not be what you want ) you should support his decision.

I am sorry I have not agreed with the many postings previous to mine but this is just my opinion.

I wish you luck and your husband a speedy recovery.

Booked on Majesty out of Baltimore July 26....final payment due in May and DH has tendonitis in his elbows...may have to cancel. This would have been our first cruise & I don't think we'll ever be able to afford a cruise in the future (especially since NCL won't be leaving from Baltimore anymore). Schedule won't allow us any other time this summer....I'm so sad!!!! We're a family of 4...any suggestions as to where to go in the future???:( Has to be economical.

Tendonitis, I think he can handle a cruise. My brother has MS and is in a wheelchair and cruises. I have 3 herniated discs in the lumbar region of my back and I still get my butt on board. SUCK IT UP !!! :)

Booked on Majesty out of Baltimore July 26....final payment due in May and DH has tendonitis in his elbows...may have to cancel. This would have been our first cruise & I don't think we'll ever be able to afford a cruise in the future (especially since NCL won't be leaving from Baltimore anymore). Schedule won't allow us any other time this summer....I'm so sad!!!! We're a family of 4...any suggestions as to where to go in the future???:( Has to be economical.

Sorry to hear about your bad news. Hope he recovers so you can go on your cruise.

I'm not sure if you're interested in other cruise lines, but Carnival Pride is going to be sailing out of Baltimore year-round; maybe that's another option if this cruise doesn't work out for you.

Tendonitis, I think he can handle a cruise. My brother has MS and is in a wheelchair and cruises. I have 3 herniated discs in the lumbar region of my back and I still get my butt on board. SUCK IT UP !!! :)

My dh has 5 herniated discs, (1 protruding), and we had to cancel our April/May cruise in '06 due to too much pain/unable to walk for 4 mounths, but when he was able to, (6 weeks after the orig scheduled cruise) we jumped on another cruise real fast. Thank God for drugs & travel insurance. ;)

Ok speaking from experience - I have tendonitis right elbow - I have had it for 6 years - finally last June I got operated on.

Have your husband ask the doc about having his elbows injected - it only hurts for a couple of minutes :eek: then ask the doc about a drug called

Cataflam - it is an anti inflammatory - you only take one a day but it works. Carefull with the Cataflam it intensifies the affects of alcohol.

I never missed a cruise bc of my elbow.

Also we are booked on a cruise that leaves in 3 weeks - my DH had a spinal fusion done at the end of February - he cannot pick up anything over 10 lbs, so the luggage is my responsibility - I would rather push, pull and haul that luggage than miss my cruise. Also the porters will help.:)

JUST GO AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

If its the financial aspect that is another matter entirely. Thats a decision that no one on this forum can address. Also as another poster said the Carnival Pride will be sailing out of Baltimore full time - been on the ship and it is great.

You have some options GOOD LUCK with your decision.

I am sitting here typing, working, typing, and both of my elbows have tendonitis - on a pain scale one is about a 1 the other is about a 4 - and we sail out on Sunday! Do not cancel the cruise unless either one of you are comatose or in mortal danger. Ibuprophen or even a steriod shot can take care of the problem. I am actually hoping that a week from typing and working out will avoid the shot(s). The cruise might be just what the doctor orders....rest though tendons by the pool:D

Unless he cannot work because of the tendonitis and you can't make the final payment, don't cancel. If it's still bothering him in July (hopefully he will be recovered) the rest/cruise will do you both good. I've had it several times and I know how bad it hurts but the cruise might help "make it all better". Cortizone shots sometimes work wonders.

+a zillion:D

i ve got it in my shoulder s as well as elbows..knees too...a injection

whenever it flares up and i m ready to go..

I had tennis elbow in both arms and couldn't even lift anything without great pain. I finally was told by my doctor to try acupuncture (nothing else seemed to work). After 3 treatments, I was pain free - it was amazing. That was 2 years ago and I'm still pain free. I couldn't believe how great I felt after my 3rd treatment - the pain was gone and I could do lifting again. Plus rest on the cruise would be most beneficial for your husband. Have a great time if you decide to go!!

I am currently dealing with a case of ulnar neuropathy. NSAIDs are helping immensely. The discomfort would not have kept me off a cruise. I would plan on going, assuming his condition has not affected a financial situation.

The youngsters should be able to help with lifting/toting and in general helping out. If they complain----remind them of diapers:).

I am currently dealing with a case of ulnar neuropathy. NSAIDs are helping immensely. The discomfort would not have kept me off a cruise. I would plan on going, assuming his condition has not affected a financial situation.

The youngsters should be able to help with lifting/toting and in general helping out. If they complain----remind them of diapers:).

That's actually EXACTLY what he has....which NSAIDS does your doctor have you on?? Do you have braces...have you been casted???

Love the diaper suggestion...I'm REALLY pushing NOT to cancel...I think it would do us all good....didn't go on vacation last year.....we really could use the time away. Plus...every other vacation we've EVER taken..I've always had to cook, or clean up after people...the thought of dinner in a restaurant & a steward making my bed everyday is really exciting to me...Would hate to see this slip by & have to live with the regret everyday.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Archived