Wheel chairs on Sea Princess?

SkiRacer

We are going on the Sea Princess May 9 through the Panama Canal, I have a non walking cast below the knee so I am going to use one of Princess' wheel chairs. My question is; has anyone used one of the ships chairs, if so are they the kind that I can wheel myself? Joan

Ski racer, the ones I have seen supplied by the cruise line are a regular wheelchair that you can push yourself by the wheels.

Are they also going to allow you to take this off the ship in port? I only ask as I have friends that were told it was only for use onboard and they could not use it off the ship while in port.

Most of the ship's wheelchairs which may be available to you are heavy duty hospital type chairs. Yes, you can push yourself around but they are far from easy to use on the many carpeted areas of the ship. Princess says that the only times they permit the wheelchairs to leave the ship are for the initial embarkation and for debarkation at your final destination.

Since you obviously have to fly at one end or the other, make sure you inform the airline that you will need a wheelchair and preboarding.:)

A few years ago, we shared a table with a couple and the husband was a paraplegic, in a wheelchair. His was lightweight but there were a few evenings when he didn't come down to dinner because he was so tired of wheeling the chair over the carpeting.

The point about not being able to use the chair off the ship is a good one and something you need to check out. Perhaps you can rent one at home instead.

Another consideration is your cabin. If you have a wheelchair you really need a handicapped cabin. I have read on here many times that a wheelchair will not fit through the door of a regular cabin. Plus I understand that you now have to store the chair inside your own cabin. You can no longer leave them "parked" in the hall. There are lots of things to consider.

Any possiblity of delaying your cruise to when you have the cast off? Probably not or you would have done it.

Another consideration is your cabin. If you have a wheelchair you really need a handicapped cabin. I have read on here many times that a wheelchair will not fit through the door of a regular cabin. Plus I understand that you now have to store the chair inside your own cabin. You can no longer leave them "parked" in the hall. There are lots of things to consider.

Any possiblity of delaying your cruise to when you have the cast off? Probably not or you would have done it.

Another very good point made. Princess no longer allows wheelchairs or scooters to be stored in hallways or anywhere outside your personal stateroom, they must be stored in the stateroom with you. And I agree, a regular stateroom door is not wide enough for either to go through. So an accessible stateroom is the only answer if using a scooter or a wheelchair now.

I recommend you rent a wheelchair for the cruise. Try to get as small a chair as they'll rent you. Getting down the hallways can be very difficult when the room carts & laundry bags are there.

I took my own transport chair for my daughter on our last cruise and it was perfect! The transport chair had oversized wheels for ease of use and was small & lightweight for maneuvering. Fortunately she didn't weigh much so it was perfect for us. She wasn't able to wheel herself but she could "walk it" around a room.

I can't remember exactly what it's called, but there's an excellent cruise critic thread addressing special needs -- I got lots of excellent suggestions based on the experience of other people using wheelchairs on cruises.

Here's a link to one of the boards that might give you the info you need. If your on a round trip cruise some ports have locations where you can call ahead of time and rent the type of chair that would be best for the cruise.

I really suggest renting a folding wheelchair (not a transport chair which you cannot manuver yourself...you must be pushed by someone else)..I always rent from Carevacations.com 1-877-478-7827...the chair will be in your cabin when you arrive and you leave it there when you go home... this wheelchair will be foldable and you can store it in your cabin and get it thru the door. Princess will provide a chair to take you to your cabin and take you off the ship when you depart. The wheelchairs that they use are heavy duty and not easy to push.

I would not recommend an electric scooter unless you have an accessible cabin.

there would be no room to charge the battery on the scooter plus you probably could not get it thru the door of a regular cabin. They also do not like (and mostly not allow) anyone to charge the scooter in the hall...it becomes an attractive nuisance and it is in the way of cleaning carts and others on scooters or in a wheelchair.

By renting a chair you will be able to take it on excursions and on shore..and it can be folded for cabs or busses.

Since you have a non-walking cast I assume that you will be using crutches..practice going up a stair..the bathroom has a stair...and ask the ship for a shower chair so that you can sit while you shower, bring several large plastic bags so that the cast wont get wet.

you will love the cruise we just returned from the 14 day coral princess panama cruise....it was wonderful.

I just called Princess and was told that if I give a $100 refundable deposit I can take the wheel chair off the ship when we dock. This is good news. Joan

Thats great news! So glad you called, and they have changed the rules. Much easier than bringing one with you!

Another very good point made. Princess no longer allows wheelchairs or scooters to be stored in hallways or anywhere outside your personal stateroom, they must be stored in the stateroom with you. And I agree, a regular stateroom door is not wide enough for either to go through. So an accessible stateroom is the only answer if using a scooter or a wheelchair now.

The enforcement must be hit and miss. I saw both scooters and walkers in the hallways outside of peoples cabins at night on my cruise on the Grand Mar.13-27/09

The enforcement must be hit and miss. I saw both scooters and walkers in the hallways outside of peoples cabins at night on my cruise on the Grand Mar.13-27/09

I honestly haven't seen one stored in the hallway in several years.

Since Princess has this listed now on their website, I figured it was probably the reason.

And I have to admit, it used to be dangerous walking down the hallways, between the room stewards carts and wheelchair and scooter storage, there was barely room for a passenger to get by in some areas. I wondered if that wasn't the reason they made this rule now?

From the Princess website:

Passengers utilizing mobility devices with batteries are advised that the batteries must be a dry cell type and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom. Mobility devices of any kind, like other items, may not be left outside the stateroom.

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/ready.jsp

But then again, it also says this:

If you require a mobility device, you must provide your own. You can pre-reserve a wheelchair and have it and other medical equipment delivered to the ship by contacting CareVacations at 1-877-478-7827 or at www.cruiseshipassist.com. When bringing your own wheelchair, we highly recommend collapsible wheelchairs, as the width of the stateroom doors varies. Some Princess ships have areas that are not wheelchair accessible.

And that wheelchairs that belong to the cruise line are for emergency use only. So, I guess it all depends??

I must agree. What Princess says and what they actually do on the ships are two different things. I cruised recently and there were both scooters and wheelchairs parked outside of stateroom doors.

While I agree that it is a safety issue this rule is obviously not enforced. Also, not everyone who is disabled wants/needs to take an accessible cabin as there are so few of them. They wish to save them for those with more need than themselves. For example, those confined to a wheelchair.

Archived