Specialty restaurants...why pay extra?

watermelon5

Should ALL food be included in the price of a cruise? (Alcohol excluded)  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Should ALL food be included in the price of a cruise? (Alcohol excluded)

• Yes! I refuse to pay extra for something that should be part of the experience.
    • Yes! Specialty restaurants allow for inferior quality food in the MDR.
    • Yes! The space that these restaurants take up on a ship could be used for better purposes.
    • No. I don't mind specialty restaurants, but paying extra for good coffee or ice cream is ridiculous.
    • No. I like to have the choice to "upgrade" my food.
    • No. I don't mind spending extra for good food and don't expect great quality in the MDR.

I have no problem with RCI or Carnival's specialty dining. I have a problem with NCI that they have so many restaurant that they charge for.

It is only logical to expect some downgrading in MDR's as specialty restaurants are introduced. I do believe that NCL's food quality and service in MDR's have gone downhill recently -- probably as a cost cutting move, knowing that their profits wiil grow as more and more passengers use the specialty dining venues. I hope HAL does not go the same route.

There wasn't a choice for my opinion:

I'm ok with the cruise lines attempting to make more revenue in this way but I won't be partaking of it and will instead enjoy what I already paid for in my cruise fare.

Extra for coffee and ice cream doesn't bother me, either.

These are my feelings also

We really enjoy the atmosphere of specialty dining and the food is better, but we still do MDR. I like all the different choices and we do eat at least 5 times in the specialty restaurants on a 7 day or longer cruise. It's also nice to beable to order room service from any or all of the specialty restaurants---maybe like steaks from one, a veggie soup or salad from another and a dessert from yet another one. If you don't want to pay the price it certainly isn't necessay as we find most MDR will bring you something else if your not pleased with your first order---infact if you find a really good thing, have more!!!:D

I was against paying extra for Specialty Restaurants, but then I was treated to Portofino's on my birthday and it was the most amazing meal I have had on board a cruise ship. It was well worth the extra $20. The Fillet was so tender and perfectly cooked. The pasta was to die for. The only thing that fell short was the desserts.

I will be going back, if I ever sail RCCL again.

We think Chops and Portofino are top-notch specialty restaurants. We had excellent meals in NCL's Cagney's and Asian-fusion restaurants. Cagney's hasn't proved quite as consistent for us though. Our first meal there was outstanding; second time we had a service issue, but the food was good (not quite as good); third time, most items were very good, but the lobster was not properly cooked. However, every meal we had at the Asian restaurant was delightful, including service. In fact, the very best filet mignon we've ever had on a cruise was the peppercorn beef, a stir-fry of all things. The flavors were perfect and the beef melt-in-your-mouth tender.

We really did like having so many dining options on NCL. However, the Italian and Mexican-type venues were not very good in our experience. Others had meals that they loved. However, this was before they added the surcharge to those venues. It sounds like the menus have been revamped with higher quality offerings and little extras (e.g., complimentary margartitas in some of the Mexican restaurants). There certainly weren't lobster tacos available on the old menus!

That is not true! There were never the small intimate dining rooms that the specialty restaurants now offer. That is most of the appeal for us and we are willing to pay for it.

That's an excellent point! We do enjoy the intimate size, atmosphere, and usually quieter, more elegant experience. I think that's especially true on the mega-ships of today. The older ships didn't carry 3000+ pax, so the main dining rooms were smaller and had the more elegant feel.

Thank you Philip for putting things in perspective.

Agreed.

beachchick

I don't care for them. I have tried Pinnacle 3 times on Hal. Two out of the 3 were lousy experiences. The 3rd was ok but I have to wonder about this because the 3rd was on Hal due to major problems in our cabin. The waiter was aware that we were 'special guests'.

On the first 2 the service was horrible, the steak was good but everything else was lousy, including the infamous 'volcano cake' that was like a hockey puck.

I do think the quality of the food has good down hill in the MDR on many lines since the inception of specialty dining.

Thank you Philip for putting things in perspective.

Philip did not put things in any rational perspective. in the 1970's a 7 day cruise generally went for $500 on up, depending upon accomodations - while a Cadillac (over $5,000 in the mid 50's) was in the $10,000 to $15,000 range in the 1970's.

Pure B S, Philip.

We constantly hear that the quality of food in the dining rooms has deteriorated since the introduction of specialty restaurants on ships.

News Flash:

The first extra charge specialty restaurant on a ship was on the SS Bremen in 1906.

The second one was the Ritz Restaurant on the RMS Titanic in 1912.

This is not a new idea.

Note: One Dinner in the Ritz Restaurant on the Titanic cost over $100 per person. That same year, the average American earned around $300 per year.

The people on those ships were probably also complaining about diminishing food quality in the main dining rooms.

A quick math lesson.

My ship carries well over 4,000 passengers every week. We produce around 125,000 passenger meals every 7 days.

My extra charge specialty restaurants can feed a maximum total of 300 people every night.

These extra charge venues are ALWAYS fully booked.

On a 7-day cruise they can produce a maximum total of 2,100 meals.

Trying to convince passengers to pay extra to go to the specialty restaurants is pointless. The restaurants are already fully booked. We cannot accommodate any more.

A cover charge can be looked at as revenue - or it can be looked at as crowd control.

Trendy discos in New York and London do not require a hefty cover charge because they need the money. They use the charge to control the type and number of people entering their club.

When modern cruise lines started introducing specialty restaurants on ships, they were first overwhelmed by the number of passengers who wanted to dine there. Many complained because they couldn't possibly get in. Those who did get in complained because the restaurants were so busy that food quality and service suffered.

As soon as the cover charges started (NCL - 1968), demand for these restaurants dropped off and they became quite civilized. It became a psychological game; anyone willing to pay the cover charge COULD get in, anyone who CHOSE not to pay didn't go. THe number of passenger complaints about not getting in, and poor food and service dropped to nearly zero. The number of complaints from those who would not or could not afford to get in has always remianed very low - far lower than the previous complaints about entry, food quality, and service.

We need to remember that hospitality organizations, cruise ships for example, try very hard to reduce the number of complaints to the lowest possible number.

Since 1968 (when NCL started their $5 cover charge for "Le Bistro") the number of complaints about having to pay extra to eat have ebbed and flowed with the economy and inflation. Over the years, as the US dollar has lost it's value, the specialty restaurants have repeatedly gotten too busy. To correct this problem, the cruise lines have bumped up the cover charges. As soon as business levels drop back to manageable numbers, the cruise line leaves the cover charge as is. When business gets too good, the cover charge goes up again.

NCL and HAL have both actually reduced the cover charges a few times when business in the specialty restaurants was too slow. As soon as business returned to previous levels, they left the charges as they were.

So has the food quality in ship's main dining rooms diminished since specialty restaurants were introduced? Yes, absolutely.

It has also diminished since Americans stopped dressing for dinner, 9/11, the break up of the Beatles, the US blockade of Cuba, the increased price of petroleum, and the end of the Cold War.

All of these factors probably had more to do with diminished food quality on ships than the introduction of specialty restaurants.

Philip did not put things in any rational perspective. in the 1970's a 7 day cruise generally went for $500 on up, depending upon accomodations - while a Cadillac (over $5,000 in the mid 50's) was in the $10,000 to $15,000 range in the 1970's.

Pure B S, Philip.

When I worked on the Royal Viking Sky, sailing out of LA in 1975, we did the Mexican Riviera 7 day itinerary. An outside cabin (we had no balconies in those days) was $3,000 per person for the 7 day cruise. In 1975 you could buy a new Cadillac (if you shopped carefully) for $2900.

If it helps, a Second Class one-way ticket (5 days) on RMS Titanic in 1912 sold for $1,900. First Class one way started at $2,900.

Claiming that the blockade of Cuba, the end of the cold war, 9/11, etc. probably had more to do with the decline in MDR quality than had the introduction of specialty restaurants is truly extraordinary.

Referring to the flail over a HAL employee's favorable comments concerning HAL (see HAL boards) - i think it might be appropriate for Philip to disclose whether he now has any cruise line connection (having acknowledged previous cruiseline xperience).

When I worked on the Royal Viking Sky, sailing out of LA in 1975, we did the Mexican Riviera 7 day itinerary. An outside cabin (we had no balconies in those days) was $3,000 per person for the 7 day cruise. In 1975 you could buy a new Cadillac (if you shopped carefully) for $2900.

If it helps, a Second Class one-way ticket (5 days) on RMS Titanic in 1912 sold for $1,900. First Class one way started at $2,900.

Not true. From the official Titanic website-a second class ticket could be bought starting at $66.00. A first class ticket started at $125.00 and went up depending on the size of the room. Scroll down to question #20.

http://www.rmstitanic.net/index.php4?page=faq

Not true. From the official Titanic website-a second class ticket could be bought starting at $66.00. A first class ticket started at $125.00 and went up depending on the size of the room. Scroll down to question #20.

http://www.rmstitanic.net/index.php4?page=faq

Lovesublime,

I must confess that I made that post just for you. I knew you were still stalking me and couldn't resist pulling your chain.

Sorry.

So has the food quality in ship's main dining rooms diminished since specialty restaurants were introduced? Yes, absolutely.

On a more positive note, for me, and for many other folks out there anything tastes wonderful if we're not the ones who have to cook it, day in, day out ;-)

Specialty restaurants would be gilding the lily for me, but I'm happy to let other folks eat at them....

Ingrid 83

while a Cadillac (over $5,000 in the mid 50's) was in the $10,000 to $15,000 range in the 1970's.

Pure B S, Philip.

According to a little google research, a Fleetwood in 1970 was $6950

Pure BS, navybankerteacher

Lovesublime,

I must confess that I made that post just for you. I knew you were still stalking me and couldn't resist pulling your chain.

Sorry.

No stalking. I know you can be facetious so it's hard to know when you are being serious about something. You posted the Titanic ticket prices a while back-long before you knew I existed....so I know you're just trying to B.S. people. I do think you have something to contribute and I do believe you have been long term employed with several different cruise lines. However, if you don't quit making stuff up and posting it here you're going to lose your credibility altogether.

Just to change the flavor of the conversation.... on our upcoming cruise (Caribbean Princess) they, of course, offer these special restaurants but they also offer a Chef's tour followed by dinner with the Chef.

The most expensive special restaurant costs $20 each but the Chef's tour with dinner costs $75 each.

We like to do different things but can't afford everything! Thus if you could only do one of these what would you choose?

Being a new cruiser, and having found great advise on this site, I would value your input as I am very uncertain which way to go.

Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

According to a little google research, a Fleetwood in 1970 was $6950

Pure BS, navybankerteacher

Sorry, klfrodo: the bench mark year quoted by Philip was 1975, not 1970 - in 1975 GM prices were:

Chevy Caprice: $4,819

Olda Delta 88: $5,626

Cadillac Fleetwood: $12,479

I doubt prices would have close to doubled in 5 years - even though the first Arab oil embargo intervened, - so I'd suggest you re-Google.

In any event, it is nowhere near Philip's $2,900.

Sorry, klfrodo: the bench mark year quoted by Philip was 1975, not 1970 - in 1975 GM prices were:

Chevy Caprice: $4,819

Olda Delta 88: $5,626

Cadillac Fleetwood: $12,479

I doubt prices would have close to doubled in 5 years - even though the first Arab oil embargo intervened, - so I'd suggest you re-Google.

In any event, it is nowhere near Philip's $2,900.

You said 70's, so I googles 1970.

Either way, you win. You get the glory of writing your name in the snow. :D

Just to change the flavor of the conversation.... on our upcoming cruise (Caribbean Princess) they, of course, offer these special restaurants but they also offer a Chef's tour followed by dinner with the Chef.

The most expensive special restaurant costs $20 each but the Chef's tour with dinner costs $75 each.

We like to do different things but can't afford everything! Thus if you could only do one of these what would you choose?

Chef's Tour for me! You can do specialty restaurant any time, but hanging with the Chef would make the decision easy for me.

To kind of piggy back on what "klfrodo" said ealier on......back in the 70's we took a winter cruise on Home Line's "Oceanic", annually. Anyone who cruised back then will agree that Home Lines, and particulalry their "Ocreanic" was the reigning queen of cruise ships. I was going through a box of cruise memorbilia stashed away in the attic not too long ago and came across a ticket. In 1978 we paid $820 for a 12 day cruise on the "Oceanic". We paid ONLY $170 more for a 12 day cruise this past February. There was next to nothing that there was a supplemental price for and just about everything was included back then. If cruise ships didn't today have many, many "discretionary spending opportunites" a 12 day ruise today would indeed, cost as much as a Cadillac!!!! The good thing is you don't have to partake in all of the discretionary spending and when all is said and done, that cruise ends up costing a lot less than a Caddy. Oh, and just as an aside, I also came across the bar guide. In 1978 and after dinner Amareto was SIXTY FIVE CENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On another note....I got to talking to one of the officers on the cruise we were on in Feb and mentioned that I was disappointed there were not more options for cruises out of NY/NJ, particularly in the winter months. His response was that " the per diem on board generated revenue for cruises out of NY is substantially lowere than those out of Fla." So as you can see, the on board spending is how the cruise lines make their bread and butter, not the price of the ticket.

On another note....I got to talking to one of the officers on the cruise we were on in Feb and mentioned that I was disappointed there were not more options for cruises out of NY/NJ, particularly in the winter months. His response was that " the per diem on board generated revenue for cruises out of NY is substantially lowere than those out of Fla." So as you can see, the on board spending is how the cruise lines make their bread and butter, not the price of the ticket.

That is very interesting... thanks so much for posting this. I had really been wondering why there were so few NY cruises these days (I very much do not want to fly to a departure point.) This explains it... too bad! I am one of those frugal cruisers who tries very hard to make do with what is included in the cruise price (no sodas, alcohol, packaged shore excursions, spa treatments, shopping) and I guess I'm not alone here!

Ingrid 83

It is only logical to expect some downgrading in MDR's as specialty restaurants are introduced. I do believe that NCL's food quality and service in MDR's have gone downhill recently -- probably as a cost cutting move, knowing that their profits wiil grow as more and more passengers use the specialty dining venues. I hope HAL does not go the same route.

We sailed NCL for the first time last November. Overall, I thought the food in the MDR was pretty good; there was perhaps one meal I didn't like and I simply chose another. We only ate in one specialty restaurant-Cagney's steakhouse- which was extremely good. From talking to others, the reviews of the other specialty restaurants were really hit or miss. One interesting tidbit...while touring the kitchen, my husband asked the chef if they were losing money from the specialty restaurants, as they often were quite empty throughout this 13 day TA cruise. He said NO, as they had already budgeted the cost of the food from the beginning....

I'm all for the choice of having dinner in a specialty restaurant vs. the main dining room. To me the food in the MDR has never been all that great. It's not horrid and I've never gone hungry, I just have never thought it was anywhere close to the food you get in a nice land based restaurant.

The times we have enjoyed the specialty restaurants have been very good.

I'm also in favor of the specialty coffee, since it's the only place I can find a decent cup to drink. I've tried the MDR, the buffet, room service and it's all almost undrinkable to me.

So my answer was the last choice.

Archived