First-time cruiser with 8- and 4-YO kids; line recommendation?

ohmichelleo

We're planning our first cruise: a 7- or 8-day Eastern Caribbean in September/October 2009. I've narrowed it down to 3: Carnival Glory 8-day E. Carib, RCI Freedom of the Seas 7-day E. Carib, and Norwegian Pearl 7-day E. Carib.

Being a newbie, I'm having a hard time deciding. I've heard that the kids' programs on all are great. The Flow Rider and H2O Zone on RCI sound appealing, but so does the water slide on the Glory (ahem, for the kids, of course!). Do you think that there will be enough kids in the kids programs in the fall on each of these lines to make it fun for them? I've heard a couple of not-so-positive comments about the atmosphere on Carnival: has anyone had any problems with Carnival's not being a G-rated experience?

Thanks!

There will be kids on everycruise! Have no fear! Folks are always taking their kids out of school to cruise!

That "reputation" that Carnival has is old and inaccurate! No ship is entirely "G" rated, except, perhaps, for Disney! But all of the major lines are "family friendly" and you can avoid the nightclubs (and with kids, you will) and do your own thing!

RCI is a great line for kids, but you'll have fun on any!

Any of the ships will be fine. The rumors about Carnival as a whole are not true. We sail primarily Carnival with my kids (3yrs and now a new baby) and have never had an encounter with inappropriate people or a situation I would be uncomfortable bringing my children around. I think the worst Ive seen is the "hairy chest competetion" men strutting around without shirts. Even that is pretty g-rated. They have an adult comedy show but its clearly stated no kids allowed and is offered at midnight so many kids arent awake at that time. You will find a variety of ages, from young to elderly.

We do sail 5-8 day cruises though. The longer ones are comparable to RCCL and NCL. I hear some of the shorter ones 3-4 days do attract more of a college age/party type crowd. We take 2 cruises per year with our kids and one is always in the fall and there are always kids of every age onboard. Not as many as the summer months but enough for each age group. If you sail in mid October on Carnival ( oct 11th-ish-halloween)they even have a Halloween party and trick or treating for kids. They will e-mail you to bring your child's costumes and then offer a scavenger hunt that ends in a big party for the kids in the disco.

Out of my 3 year-old's 6 cruises, 5 have been on Carnival, so I highly recommend them as a family friendly line. But really, you cant go wrong with RCCL, NCL, or Disney either.

So far, I've only had my kids in the Royal Caribbean programs and we absolutely love Adventure Ocean. However, I would not have a problem trying Carnival for them. They'll be in Norwegian's program next summer.

If I were you, I'd probably go with Royal or Carnival and just pick the ship's itinerary you want most. Most of my cruises have been on Royal though and I have been very satisfied with that line.

Archived