Voyager Sept 25, 2009

Ricksherry

We are considering this Venice to Istanbul cruise. We have been on Seadream. Anyone else considering it and who can comment on the difference between Regent and Seadream.

We loved Seadream in the Caribbean.

Thanks in advance>

We are considering this Venice to Istanbul cruise. We have been on Seadream. Anyone else considering it and who can comment on the difference between Regent and Seadream.

We loved Seadream in the Caribbean.

Thanks in advance>

We have not been on Seadream, but did consider it at one time and did quite a bit of research. The differences that come to mind are those you are probably already aware of. . . Regent is considerably larger than Seadream. The Voyager suites are considerably larger than those on Seadream and all of them have balconies. The average age on Regent is a bit older. There are several dining venues to choose from. If you have any specific questions about Regent, please post them. One of us will be happy to reply.

In terms of the itinerary you have chosen -- it's wonderful (well, at least the part of it that we did last year was wonderful - Istanbul to Athens). The ports were amazing -- the sea beautiful and the ship. . . . incredible (but I am a bit prejudice -- the Voyager is my favorite ship):)

My wife and I are considering it. It will be our 5th. Voyager. Some ports are new to us , but re-visiting is always pleasurable since there is much that was missed in an 8 hour stop.

The best idea is for us to take separate free excursions since my wife cannot walk long distances and I can. Always using private excursions , I will not spend research hours !! To travel from Ft.Lauderdale and only have a 7 day cruise does not appeal to us. We will, therefore, spend time in Istanbul getting 'updated' from the week we spent there some 40 years ago !!

I did find some Holland America cruises which we liked. I priced some which were much less than Regent . Frankly, I gave much thought to the decision. After 11 Regents and the pampering, etc. etc. I don't think that 1800 passengers in a huge ship is worth the lower cost. We have cruised with Celebrity, Princess and Costa (ugh), but after our first on Mariner, we were hooked.

I will not use their air as we have Delta miles for a possible upgrade. It is a 12 hour flight to connect at JFK from Istanbul.

My TA has the costs and we will decide this week. Perhaps we will get a CC group together.

Thanks so much for the replies. what we loved about Seadream was the personal service....you know, can we have lunch brought to our table here at the bar, or the pool, stuff like that.

We know Regent might not be that personalized but were just wondering how folks felt about the service.

Yes. If you request a quote from Regent they will provide T.A's in your area code. My friend is on the short list. He belongs to our golf group. Our plan is to go from Venice airport to the ship. We have spent many, many days in Venice.

Thanks so much for the replies. what we loved about Seadream was the personal service....you know, can we have lunch brought to our table here at the bar, or the pool, stuff like that.

We know Regent might not be that personalized but were just wondering how folks felt about the service.

Regent works hard at giving personalized service. However, I don't believe it is quite as personal as a ship 1/3 it's size. Many people get their food at the buffet (La Veranda) for lunch and carry their plate to the pool deck. Servers would be happy to carry your plate for you. Light lunch fare (hamburgers, etc.) is available on the pool deck.

The staff wants to remember who you are and what your preferences are in terms of food and drink. So, if you go to the same lounge, or sit in the same general area in Compass Rose a couple of times (good idea for ask for the server's section -- i.e. "We would like to be seated in Leo's section please". . . ), the service is quite personalized.

Neviboy, my husband and I are signed up for this cruise. Hope to see you aboard. We have visited about 1/2 of the ports before, but there are several that are new to us. It is my distraction as my oldest son will be deployed at that time. I need something to keep my mind off where he will be.

Can't comment on comparing Sea Dream with Regent. We have been on a couple of ships the size of Sea Dream and enjoyed them, but we really like the variety of dining venues on Voyager, and having a cabin with private balcony is nice too.

I can't comment on Sea Dream, but have cruised on Regent Mariner and loved it. My wife and I are taking our delayed Honeymoon trip on this cruise, and are looking forward to seeing new places. We hope to meet ya'll on board.

Archived