Tate Talks

tom_uk

Informative and interesting to anyone really into that sort of thing but we gave it a miss on Ventura last year.

There seemed to be a few dozen people attending the daily ( I think it was every day) lectures as we walked past.

I think I would have fallen asleep!

I like art but prefer to look at it - i'm just not into all the Tate Talk.

Informative and interesting to anyone really into that sort of thing but we gave it a miss on Ventura last year.

There seemed to be a few dozen people attending the daily ( I think it was every day) lectures as we walked past.

I think I would have fallen asleep!

I like art but prefer to look at it - i'm just not into all the Tate Talk.

In other words in answer to the O/P you don't know, you don't know if they are interesting or informative because you didn't go to one. So what's the point of you post.

In other words in answer to the O/P you don't know, you don't know if they are interesting or informative because you didn't go to one. So what's the point of you post.

Whoa.... hold on. My original question included this: "Has anyone here been on a cruise that featured 'Tate Talks'?...."

and Caspall has, and has given us some information about the frequency (possibly daily) and the attendance (not especially high, on that cruise).

I thought it was a helpful contribution - I knew more about Tate Talks after reading it than I did before.

Whoa.... hold on. My original question included this: "Has anyone here been on a cruise that featured 'Tate Talks'?...."

and Caspall has, and has given us some information about the frequency (possibly daily) and the attendance (not especially high, on that cruise).

I thought it was a helpful contribution - I knew more about Tate Talks after reading it than I did before.

Come on, Caspall didn't even attend a Tate Talk he can't tell you anything about them, he can't tell you what artists were featured what styles of paintings were showcased. There was next to no information in his post [ possibly daily and seemed like a few dozen people ], before you had zero information and thats still the case now. If your happy with that fair enough.

We were on Ventura in December in the Carribean and went to a tate talk . The subject was Rolf Harris's Painting's and it was very interesting and made me more appreciate the styles and techniques used .I am not an art buff but it was anything but boring and not at all high brow in fact I enjoyed it very much and the guy really new his subject !!

We were on Ventura in December in the Carribean and went to a tate talk . The subject was Rolf Harris's Painting's and it was very interesting and made me more appreciate the styles and techniques used .I am not an art buff but it was anything but boring and not at all high brow in fact I enjoyed it very much and the guy really new his subject !!

As far as I know Tate talk only happens on a few occasions within the Ventura holiday schedule, they have Tate talk weeks when an expert comes aboard from the Tate to impart knowledge on his or her given subject. What you are refering to are talks given by the Whitewall gallery to promote a given artist, to whom they have various L/E prints available to purchase. As good a artist as Rolf Harris is I doubt very much if he his shown in Tate Modern or Tate Britain or any other Tate Galleries.

For instance, there is a talk on Hepworth's Garden and what plants grow there and there is another on Music and Symphonia. I hardly call that "art" as in Tate Modern.

Not on the Ventura, its advertised as talks by Tate Modern where experts give enlightened views on Modern Art.

I was on Aurora last November which happened to have Tate Talks. There were three or four people from Tate Modern talking about art. I went to one talk and found it very boring. My wife, who is interested in art went to two or three more and eventually found them not very interesting. One of the problems was that they would have one talk for about an hour and then immediately another talk for another hour so you had to be really interested to stay. They did not seem to be very well attended and I can't see them continuing.

Brian

One of the reasons I travelled on last years Ventura transatlantic was for the Tate talks. As has been previously observed Ventura was hosting Tate Modern talks and the other ships Tate Britain. There was a series of 16 lectures (about 40 minutes each plus questions), 4 practical sessions for adults and 2 for children plus a quiz at the end. If my memory serves me correctly about 20 people attended all (or nearly all) of the talks but with an average audience of around 40 with more for particular artists and about 10 the practical sessions. There were 3 speakers, a coordinator plus the aritst who hosted the practical sessions. A number of the speakers are also NADFAS lecturers.

I enjoy art and learning more about artists, techniques and collections. This series of talks was the highlight of my trip. When I cruise again with P&O Tate talks will be high on my list of which voyage I would choose!

G.

It's good to hear that people are enjoying them and getting the most out of it.

I love the classical music cruises and have been on 2.

I liked the art auctions on our first cruises and actually enjoyed hearing about the various artists. I went to one on our last cruise, but it was the same old same.I'd heard so much of it before. Not even a free champagne can entice me there now!

Caryl

I went to most of the Tate Talks on the Ventura Carribbean Transatlantic last October and found them first rate. The talks were about different movements in Modern Art and different artists such as Picasso, Mondrian and Dali. The speakers were very knowledable and also approachable. They demystified the whole subjectfor me.

I learnt a lot of things that I never knew that have inspired me to find out more. It was one of the highlights of my cruise.

If you like Art and want to learn a few things why not give it a go. There is no obligation beyone the first talk you go to.

On our cruise there were also talks on Rolf Harris and Jack Vetriano, but these were run by the on board Art Gallery people and were not Tate Talks.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It turns out that the cruise we've booked on Ventura in May 2010 is a Tate Talks cruise. That wasn't why we booked it, but having done so I wanted to find out a bit about the talks.

And now I know a lot more than I did before....

We attended a Tate Talk on Ventura in Feb. Again it was Rolf Harris and quite intersting, lots of non arty bits "like how the Beatles sang background vocals on his song Tie Me Kanagroo Down or was it 2 Little Boys ??? forgot now

And how he came up withthat board thing.

Good for pub quizes and only lasted about 1 1/2 hours

Archived