Earthquake = Seasickness????

CruisinJazz

I just returned from Rome, Italy and was there during the earthquake. We actually slept right through the earthquake...didn't realize there had been one in the middle of the night. I woke up feeling very sick to my stomach which didn't ease up until late that afternoon. After thinking about it, I'm wondering if the rolling of the earthquake is what made me feel so ill and now I'm worried about feeling ill on our first cruise this September. What is the best remedy for seasickness??

I have gotten pretty used to the sea so I really don't have to take any sea sick medicine anymore. I just take it on the 1st day just to be safe and during storms.

So once you take more cruises you should get used to the movement.

I take Drammamine for sea sickness. But others use Bonnie, or the patches, or the wristbands, but the Drammamine works fine for me.

There was an earthquake in California in the early '90's that shook all the way to Phoenix. I had just finished breakfast when it occurred and I became nauseous. I generally do not suffer from any motion sickness, but that got me. Accordingly I would not be surprised if that was what caused your symptoms.

I have gotten pretty used to the sea so I really don't have to take any sea sick medicine anymore. I just take it on the 1st day just to be safe and during storms.

So once you take more cruises you should get used to the movement.

I take Drammamine for sea sickness. But others use Bonnie, or the patches, or the wristbands, but the Drammamine works fine for me.

I would have to agree, I tak Drammamine for the 1st day and sometimes the 2nd if the seas are a little rough. Last year we went with friends and one of them is very prone to seasickness, she used the wristbands the enitire week and was fine.

After living thru many earthquakes (we lost a house due to one earthquake), I doubt your stomach upset was from the quake movement, but I could be wrong. The queasy feeling I got was nervousness, not from the motion. But I am very glad to hear you came thru ok! :D

I get sick in cars, planes, trains, boats, etc... anything that moves. I use Bonine and never have a problem. I take one each evening before bed, so that if I do suffer from any drowsiness I can sleep it off. So, if you are at all worried about seasickness, take some with you... just in case!

Have a most wonderful first cruise!! It won't be your last!! lol

I just returned from Rome, Italy and was there during the earthquake. We actually slept right through the earthquake...didn't realize there had been one in the middle of the night. I woke up feeling very sick to my stomach which didn't ease up until late that afternoon. After thinking about it, I'm wondering if the rolling of the earthquake is what made me feel so ill and now I'm worried about feeling ill on our first cruise this September. What is the best remedy for seasickness??

You do know September is peak Hurricane Season, right? Seas can still be choppy, even if not in the middle of a hurricane.

Drink Gingerale. Bring ginger. Take Bonine or Dramamine. Get a patch. Don't cruise during a hurricane.

After living thru many earthquakes (we lost a house due to one earthquake), I doubt your stomach upset was from the quake movement, but I could be wrong. The queasy feeling I got was nervousness, not from the motion. But I am very glad to hear you came thru ok! :D

I get sick in cars, planes, trains, boats, etc... anything that moves. I use Bonine and never have a problem. I take one each evening before bed, so that if I do suffer from any drowsiness I can sleep it off. So, if you are at all worried about seasickness, take some with you... just in case!

Have a most wonderful first cruise!! It won't be your last!! lol

I have been through too many earthquakes myself, but never felt any queasiness from them. It usually takes rolling motions longer than the short duration of most earthquakes (less than a minute).

My family has had very good results with ginger capsules. They would take 2 twice a day for bad seas and 1 capsule 2x a day for normal seas and have not gotten seasick and have not had any side effects like the bonine.

I doubt it was the earthquake that made you feel sick...they are not long enough to make you sick. I have been through many earthquakes and been cruising..they are totally different. I take Bonine when I cruise if there is even a chance of me getting sick and I am just fine. Bonine won't make you drowsy either...works the best for me!

First, the earthquake in Italy was bigger than ones most people have felt here in the states. I'm not sure why people are saying you can't get motion sick from an earthquake. Why not? It's motion that could easily disrupt your inner ear. And, everyone's motion sensitivity is different. What makes one person sick doesn't bother another person. I take bonine and ginger and start the day before. I got sick on our first cruise and decided it would never happen again if I could prevent it, so I do.

OP also said they slept through the quake and awoke feeling nauseous, not that they woke up saw the news and then felt sick. So, I highly doubt nervousness had anything to do with since they woke up feeling that way.

There are actually a several hits on google when I search the subject. So, it's not impossible at all.

If I lived closer to Florida I would be all over a Caribbean cruise in mid-to-late September. I think it would be fun to get bounced a bit and not know if we will make scheduled ports on schedule.

But then again, I love sea days anyway.

First, the earthquake in Italy was bigger than ones most people have felt here in the states.

Not to diminish the suffering of the people of Italy because it is real and painful, but to say that most people have not felt a earthquake as big is just wrong. Italy has had its share of earthquakes the United States has had many more big quakes . I only looked after the 1960 Alaska quake the usa has had 7 quakes over 6.7. One reason that this last quake in Italy has caused so much damage and death is because of poor building codes. The last I heard the death toll is over 270 people. the combined total death count of the 94 Northridge quake and the 89 Loma Pritra quake was just over 120 people. Both of these quakes were bigger than the quake a few days ago in Italy. Better building codes mean less damage and less death. Japan has one of the highest rates of earthquakes and biggest quakes in the world, but there damage and death is way low because they have some of the strictest codes in the world.

If you remember a while back pirates were repelled from a ship (Seaborn I think) with a device that sends out low frequency waves. When pointed at people it causes inner ear problems in seconds which cause extreme vertigo.

Dogs pick up on these low frequency waves very often before an earthquake ever hits.....

Not to diminish the suffering of the people of Italy because it is real and painful, but to say that most people have not felt a earthquake as big is just wrong. Italy has had its share of earthquakes the United States has had many more big quakes . I only looked after the 1960 Alaska quake the usa has had 7 quakes over 6.7. One reason that this last quake in Italy has caused so much damage and death is because of poor building codes. The last I heard the death toll is over 270 people. the combined total death count of the 94 Northridge quake and the 89 Loma Pritra quake was just over 120 people. Both of these quakes were bigger than the quake a few days ago in Italy. Better building codes mean less damage and less death. Japan has one of the highest rates of earthquakes and biggest quakes in the world, but there damage and death is way low because they have some of the strictest codes in the world.

No, I'm NOT wrong. Just how many people outside of Alaska and California have ever been through an earthquake as large as the one in Italy? I wasn't talking about how MANY large earthquakes have occurred, but HOW NOT MANY PEOPLE in the US have ever lived through one as large. Don't twist what I said into something entirely different. You took it off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what I actually said. Reread my post carefully. I said most, MOST people in the US have never lived through one that large and that statement is TRUE. My post was not about building codes or number of earthquakes or countries. It was only that most people have NEVER experienced an earthquake the size of the one that Italy just had. And most people who post on here have never been through as large an earthquake. Was that clear enough?

So, was it larger than most of the population of the US have ever felt? Total numbers? YES

Thanks for all of the inputs! I had lived in San Diego for 6 months...went through several earthquakes there, but never felt sick from them. However, I was a lot younger and nothing ever made me feel sick. It seems the older I get the less I can tolerate as far as motion sickness.

We did sleep right through the quake. We had been out late that night and didn't return to our room until 2am. We were dead asleep when the quake hit and didn't realize there had been one until we reached the airport for our flight home. I felt very sick from the moment I woke up until late afternoon. A few of my brothers friends were in a hotel in Rome not too far from ours and they had actually been thrown out of their beds. Thankfully we are all ok, but it did make me wonder about being seasick.

Thank you!

No, I'm NOT wrong. Just how many people outside of Alaska and California have ever been through an earthquake as large as the one in Italy? I wasn't talking about how MANY large earthquakes have occurred, but HOW NOT MANY PEOPLE in the US have ever lived through one as large. Don't twist what I said into something entirely different. You took it off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what I actually said. Reread my post carefully. I said most, MOST people in the US have never lived through one that large and that statement is TRUE. My post was not about building codes or number of earthquakes or countries. It was only that most people have NEVER experienced an earthquake the size of the one that Italy just had. And most people who post on here have never been through as large an earthquake. Was that clear enough?

So, was it larger than most of the population of the US have ever felt? Total numbers? YES

I guess I should not have said your statement was wrong. I should have said it was flawed. In comparing earthquakes in Italy vs. the USA its like comparing apples and oranges. Back to the OP's point, a good friend of mine was on the SF bay in the 89 quake and they did not even know anything happened until they heard about it on the radio. they felt nothing except the normal rocking of there small boat.

Unless a ship was in a port or in very shallow water there would be no difference in what was felt. This was discussed in detail after the Dec 04 tsunami. what was said then was, if one was on a ship at sea when a tsunami hit it would feel no different than the normal movement of the sea.

I guess I should not have said your statement was wrong. I should have said it was flawed. In comparing earthquakes in Italy vs. the USA its like comparing apples and oranges. Back to the OP's point, a good friend of mine was on the SF bay in the 89 quake and they did not even know anything happened until they heard about it on the radio. they felt nothing except the normal rocking of there small boat.

Unless a ship was in a port or in very shallow water there would be no difference in what was felt. This was discussed in detail after the Dec 04 tsunami. what was said then was, if one was on a ship at sea when a tsunami hit it would feel no different than the normal movement of the sea.

Whatever. Not flawed because my point wasn't a direct comparison to the EXACT type of earthquake. It was just a freaking statement about people who have never been through ANY quake. Anyway, the fact is you can get motion sick from earthquakes and there are multiple reports by people who have lived through large enough ones to feel it. Regardless of WHERE an earthquake is and HOW many people have felt it, obviously some people get motion sick from it.

Archived