Trolley Help Please

canadiancruisers11

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/hop-aboard-the-free-trolley-in-old-san-juan/

In past trips to San Juan, I've loved the trolley. It is a lot of fun, people are truly nice, they even let you know when to get off at the sightseeing places.

A few years ago, we travelled with my friend who is mobility impaired (wheelchair bound at all times). The trolley has a great safe lift. She loved it and was able to see San Juan!

Have fun!

We hopped aboard January 2008. It was a free trolley. It goes a set route and has stops along the way for people to get off and on. Sometimes it is faster to walk then to ride the trolley due to the fact that the roads are very narrow and there is a lot of traffic, but if your feet hurt, it is great. I am sorry, but I can not find the routes that it follows, but there are a couple different ones. We loved San Juan. Have a great time!:D

Okay, the trolley is easy to find but make sure you get on the right one. Call me stupid but I come from a small town and don't really have much experience with public transportation. We accidently got on the trolley that took us around the middle of Old San Juan, and we circled like 3 times before we finally realized it wasn't the bus taking us to the fort. :o

• 1 month later...
Okay, the trolley is easy to find but make sure you get on the right one. Call me stupid but I come from a small town and don't really have much experience with public transportation. We accidently got on the trolley that took us around the middle of Old San Juan, and we circled like 3 times before we finally realized it wasn't the bus taking us to the fort. :o

which trolley is the best one to take? which goes to the fort?

Of the 3 trolleys, 2 are small buses with closed sides and 1 is an open-sided "tram". The open-sided one goes to the fort (and by-passes the center of Old San Juan). The small bus that says "City Hall / El Morro" also goes to the fort, but not as directly.

Warning, when a ship is in for a port of call the trolleys are packed, and no one gets off. We were walking around El Morro and wantted to jump on a Trolley. Two full trollys came in and left without a single person getting off, we ended up huffing it back.

I loved the trolley system in OSJ. I prefered the open air vs the closed bus, but used the closed trolley to get our pop from the walgreens back to the sheraton so we didn't have to lug it.

The stops are marked on green poles. There is also a great information desk that will give you free trolley maps and explain the different routes (like the one linked here online, but with someone to explain it if maps aren't your thing). The information desk is located just to the left of the Sheraton if facing the water.

I have lots of photos of the trolley in my review link below. Just click "san Juan" if you are interested.

Have fun!

Cheryl :)

Archived