walking shoes

I like the Eccos but wanted something a tad dressier. I just ordered a sandal called Trotter's from zappos.com. Has anyone every heard of them?

When you order shoes, do you order multiple sizes and send the ones that don't fit back? Or do you know your size so well that you nail it the first time?

No problem at all, and I'm glad to help if I can. :)

I wore my Ecco sandals one day when I walked 7 miles total (I wear a pedometer) stop and go and found them comfortable at the end of the day. They felt the same as they did when I first tried them on. I find them to have as much stability as sneakers because they can be adjusted to fit my foot. We have walked 12 miles in one day in Europe, so I'm hoping that my Eccos will be comfortable for as long as I need them because I haven't tested them past 7 miles. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Keens to check them out for an alternate pair, so I'll let you know how those work out if I do.

I agree with the note that socks may make a difference. I've tried some high $$ socks (SmartWool, Mephisto, and Thorlo) and have not found any that work better for me than the Danskins I buy at Wal-Mart. So maybe I just haven't found the right sock yet.

Donna

Donna,

thanks again for all the info......i think i will go with the yucatans.

happy sailing

carol

I have plantar fascitis. My doctor recommended MBT shoes. I have the sneakers. They are very costly ($250) but have great cushioning. I plan to get a pair of MBT sandals before our Med cruise this summer.

Thought I'd jump in on this conversation as my feet hurt all the time. I've probably tried everything in the book to get relief except surgery (the podiatrist wanted to do this). I've spent a ton on different shoes, different doctors, alternative medicine, etc. so hopefully some of my experiences will be of interest.

One of the things I have is plantar fasciitis. Yes, it gets a lot worse when walking around with no shoes on... but I hate shoes! Yes, I hate socks too! :o I have been wearing the Ecco Yucatan for about 5 years now (not the same pair!!) and they are great. It is nice to see that they have several colors now.

The MBT sandals are interesting and do help. Be very careful with these on cobblestone streets. I have twisted my ankle a few times and now only wear them on flat surfaces. If you are just getting these they take time to adjust to wearing. Give yourself a couple of weeks to break into the new way of walking.

I have a wide foot with high arches and find that Keen makes a great sneaker for a wide toe area, light weight (sorry don't remember the style), breathable and you can put in your own orthotics. The ones I have tighten from the bottom up so you can adjust the lace area for higher arches etc.

I have several custom orthotics, one from the Happy Foot Store, one from Foot Solutions, one from my chiropractor, one from the podiatrist (horrible) but the ones I really like are called "super feet" from our local REI store. I have a full length one for sneakers and a 3/4 for other shoes. I also have anatomical socks, and wow they really help with preventing blisters in sneakers for me (bone spurs on heels and elsewhere). I used to walk 5 miles a day but had to stop because of my feet but I used the MBT's for this and the orthotics. Water aerobics seem less stressful on feet.

For nicer dress shoes I found a brand called Vital. Expensive but comfortable. I think Foot Solutions carry them but you can also find them online. I have the slides with Velcro fasteners.

Taking two pairs of shoes with you for the same day trip helps a lot. I plan to carry a different pair in my backpack. Mole skin works pretty good for blisters but preventing them is the best. I need to find out more information about that product mentioned earlier.

Putting your feet up above your heart every night also helps quite a bit. I usually lie on the floor with my feet on the bed for 20-30 mins each night; I just read or something. Makes a big difference the next day. If you are prone to swelling (I am) avoiding soft drinks & salt plus drinking a ton of water seems to help me. Lots of motrin also helps but I will definitely check out those lidocaine patches. They sound incredible. Sometimes a topical pain reliever like tramele helps.

Sorry to say that just the plane ride can make my feet/leg problems worse. I try to stay away from anything that can increase the chances of swelling before the vacation, during the flight and of course though out the entire trip. Doesn't always work so I love to learn new tricks to try to make my life pain free!! :)

~ Bev

As stated - everyone's feet are different, but the Merrells I bought last year were great at first, but then really became compacted in certain places where there was the most pressure. Just bought another pair of brown sandals even though the Merrells still look good. Can't stand the thought of wearing them.

My advice would be to bring two pairs. Even though they are bulky, if you get blisters or your feet hurt in certain places you will not want to wear those shoes the next day.

Thanks for the advice about the Band Aid Blister Blocker. I put a note in my purse. I also just put on one of the pairs I intend to wear to break them in.

For my feet, Easy Spirit fits best although I have some LL Bean. My husband loves Rockport. I will look at the Ecco's since they are so highly recommended here.

Thanks.

Yes, Crocs are worn in Europe, but possibly mainly near the beach.I wear a lace-up Ecco and a UK brand of shoes called Hotter- the extra wide with 2 Velcro bands and the same soft leather. I always pack a dozen pairs of cotton socks and keep anything fancier for night times only.-jocap.

Thanks Donna,

i tried on the yucatan sandals and found them the most comfortable of all the shoes i tried on...various styles and brands. some people have said that sandals are not that great for walking but i felt these would serve my feet well and would let my feet breathe in the really hot weather i will encounter. i didn't read your whole post...did you use these sandals for your excursions? hope i'm not being a pain. thanks loads

carol

I have Merrell sandals with velcro closures and they are great for excursions. As my feet swell in the heat I can loosen them over the arch area. I really do like them

I would suggest some anatomical socks, I can almost guarantee you will feel a marked difference. I log 65-75 miles a week and wouldnt leave home without them :D
OK, I'm always willing to learn new things, so I'm going to check them out. Is this an anatomical sock? http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Kayano-Low-Cut-Socks/dp/B001Q53244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1240410410&sr=8-1

SDCruising, I know people who swear by their foot massager that they take on trips. See http://www.amazon.com/MediRub-Body-Massager/dp/B00029P40U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1240410293&sr=8-1. (Your note about lying down at night made me think of that.)

Donna

OK, I'm always willing to learn new things, so I'm going to check them out. Is this an anatomical sock? http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Kayano-Low-Cut-Socks/dp/B001Q53244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1240410410&sr=8-1

SDCruising, I know people who swear by their foot massager that they take on trips. See http://www.amazon.com/MediRub-Body-Massager/dp/B00029P40U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1240410293&sr=8-1. (Your note about lying down at night made me think of that.)

Donna

What is an anatomical sock?

Before this thread I didn't give a flip (flop) :p about walking shoes but I was in Marshall's yesterday and saw some Merrell's marked down to $20.00! They were very comfy and a new look for me so I couldn't resist and bought them. I must admit, I would've walked right past them a week ago before I read this thread.

When I got home I googled the shoe which normally sells for $75 at Zappos...and the reviews were very favorable. I got the Relay Tour in black (wish they had pink or beige but for the price black's good). Although I'm undecided if I'll keep them as my DH said they look like his old gross swim shoes that I hated! :eek: They don't but that kinda took the wind out of my sails! :(

I'd love to hear others opinion of the "look" of the shoe....is he right? I don't want to be blinded by the good buy I got!

You can see them at zappos dot com and search Relay Tour.

Thanks...

Trudy

IMO, they look great. Of course, I just picked up a similar-looking pair of Rockports for $29 yesterday at TJMaxx, in an attempt to balance out the $130 I spent for the pair of Ecco's recommended earlier on this thread at the Ecco store!

For those looking for Merrell's, I also was in Marshall's today in San Antonio, Texas. They had LOTS in stock - some similar to the black ones above, and other styles, sandles and a slide type. Prices were $29 and $39.

I bought a nice pair of Clark black leather sandles for dinner on the ship - marked down to $15. I hope they will be comfortable enough for my plantar faciitis. I think I am going to have to go with my tennis shoes - Adidas, and Easy Spririt for my walking shoes on our cruise !

Good luck everybody looking for comfortable shoes ! :) :)

Thanks y'all! I decided to keep my Merrell's and shopped comfortably all day in them... and just happened to buy two more pair of "walking" shoes from Academy! :D

They are Skechers...one named Jersey (natural color)..very casual pair that feels like a slipper on your foot yet with the support of a sneaker feel. The other pair is named Lemon Blossom (taupe color)...I ADORE these! A dressier casual strappy look that will go great with capris/sundresses.

So thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I own a ton of heels, flip flops and two pair of sneakers...but NOW I own 3 really nice pair of "walking shoes"! I'd say I'm ready to sightsee Europe next month! My DH won't be able to keep up with me! :p

Happy shopping and cruising to all...

Trudy

P.S. Tomorrow I hit TJ Maxx! :D

They are Skechers...one named Jersey (natural color)..very casual pair that feels like a slipper on your foot yet with the support of a sneaker feel. The other pair is named Lemon Blossom (taupe color)...I ADORE these! A dressier casual strappy look that will go great with capris/sundresses.

Trudy

P.S. Tomorrow I hit TJ Maxx! :D

Those Lemon Blossoms are adorable....no arch support but SO cute. Enjoy them! :D

I also have wide feet and I find that the Keens were best because of the adjustable velcro fasteners but also Ecco and Merril are good. Depends on the shoe. I personally can not wear Clark's. Arch support is very important to having your feet be pain free as well. For those that usually don't have this in their shoes it takes a bit of getting used to it really helps after several hours of walking.

~ Bev

For wide feet, I rely on my Easy Spirit tennis shoes. They have the removable soles so you can put in your orthodics either on the shoe bed or on top of the sole.

The only problem is that they're white and will stand out like a sore thumb in Europe. I need to find something else to wear, but I refuse to wear those sandals that make your feet look like they're Fred Flintstone's feet!!

So many of the other shoes look so masculine and Adventure-hiker type, that I'd feel really weird wearing them.

Can't someone make a CUTE sandal or tennis shoe for those of us with foot problems?

Archived