Things to do in Cozumel?

beelane

We hope to go to either Paradise Beach or Chankanaab for a while, Carlos and Charlies and shopping but want to explore the island as well. We will be on the Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas (Yes on a Wednesday). Is there any island tours we can take or will we see alot of the island just going to the beach?

We will be pulling into the International Pier. Is there much shopping to do right there?

Michele

Paradise and Chankanaab are about 10 minutes from each other and only about 10-15 minutes from your pier, so the view from your pier won't be a lot different than the beaches you mentioned. Many people spend the day at either but you won't see much of the island if that is what your goal is.

There are several "around the island tours". There is a windward side of the island that has fabulous photo opts and miles of beaches with big waves (not recommended for swimming).

There is shopping at the International Pier as well as across the street in front is an open mall area with plenty of shops. You may also want to venture to the Puerta Maya Pier next door~ it's newer and has even more shopping choices.

We hope to go to either Paradise Beach or Chankanaab for a while, Carlos and Charlies and shopping but want to explore the island as well. We will be on the Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas (Yes on a Wednesday). Is there any island tours we can take or will we see alot of the island just going to the beach?

We will be pulling into the International Pier. Is there much shopping to do right there?

Michele

yes, there are shops at the IP.. you can alsos rent a car, jeep for the day and drive the entire island stopping at various beaches and watering holes.. you cannot get lost.. there is one road around the entire island.. the island is very small.. you cannot get lost..

A car is a better idea...

Please, please, please do NOT rent a scooter. Everyday here in Cozumel, people are scraped up off the roads as a result of moped accidents.

Sally's Top Ten Reasons Not to Rent a Moped:

10. Most Cozumel streets are one way, except where they aren't.

9. Most north-south streets have the right of way, except where they don't.

8. Patches of gravel appear in the most unlikely spots, making it easy to skid and topple.

7. The brakes on most of the rentals are not in "perfect" condition.

6. Beautiful seaside vistas take your breath away, and your attention off the road.

5. Many tourists have just been to Carlos 'n' Charlie's and are now behind the wheel of a car.

4. Taxis are racing to see how many fares they can transport in one day.

3. Mopeds have a short wheel base which makes them less maneuverable than, say, a motorcycle. (That's for all of you thinking that if you have a motorcycle license, a moped is a piece of cake.)

2. Mopeds do not have adequate acceleration to get you out of a potentially dangerous situation. (Again, for the motorcyclists out there, you understand what I mean.)

1. Given 2-10, a little road rash is enough to ruin any vacation. Going home in a box falls into another category.

Please be safe, spend a little more and surround yourself with a rental car. Return from your vacation in one piece. Mopeds are not an adventure, they are a danger.

Getting down from my soapbox now...

I've lived in West Africa and I've seen a lot of scooter type accidents. Driving in a foreign country is NOT the same as at home. Don't risk it. Sally, what is your opinion of bicycle rentals-I assume it's the same....but would love to know. We're thinking aobut coming to Coz for a week sometime in the future....hopefully staying somewhere in town....so maybe taxi's will work out just fine.

Since I don't own a car and use my bicycle to get just about everywhere (unless my massage table is coming with me!), I used to recommend bicycling to my visitors. However, the traffic in Cozumel has increased dramatically in the last 6 years. If you are accustomed to ridng a bike in a busy city, then absolutely, go for it! If not, I really don't recommend it. You're only here for a day, take a cab. It's not worth the risk.

Archived