Reserving a 2-top for dinner as soon as you get on the ship??

manjss

Hello, On all of the other cruises I've taken on the major cruise lines, as soon as we got on the ship, we went directly to the dining room to get a table for 2 for dinner for the week. We have always been lucky doing this. I am wondering if we will have to do that for Princess as well? We have the late seating, and we want a 2 top. Does anyone know if we'll have to do this as well? We will be on the Caribbean Princess in 2 weeks. Thanks!

Yes, If I want a specific table size, its the first thing I do when I get on the ship is to reserve. I did try to reserve one for the whole week and was told I had to call back each day which I did each morning, first thing and it was fine.

Another time, I met a waiter that I had on 2 prior cruises and he called for me and reserved his table for me all week so it can be done. I was glad he was there because we had a group of 8 so we would have been waiting a while probably had we not reserved the table. I'm sure if you talked to the maitre d' he can try to accomodate you.

I should add I always have anytime dining so getting a specific table is easier. IIRC with assigned times, I was always assigned a table beforehand but could request a specific table size online.

Check the cruise personalizer on Princess's website and see if the option is still there.

We have always booked our seating through our travel agent before the cruise. That way we are assured the table and time we want.

Good Luck.

Hello, On all of the other cruises I've taken on the major cruise lines, as soon as we got on the ship, we went directly to the dining room to get a table for 2 for dinner for the week. We have always been lucky doing this. I am wondering if we will have to do that for Princess as well? We have the late seating, and we want a 2 top. Does anyone know if we'll have to do this as well? We will be on the Caribbean Princess in 2 weeks. Thanks!

Lately someone from the dining room staff (not the Maitre D') has been seated somewhere in a hallway to take dining choices instead of in the dining room.

We also like a table for 2 in late traditional. They always take our request with a "no promises" disclaimer. (We also request a table for two with our travel agent and she sends it in but it always seems to disappear) When we get to the dining room the first night we stop at the Maitre D's station to check. We used to have a problem because they only have tables for 4, but lately everyone wants early seating so it has been easier. They may try to talk you into "Anytime Dining" but we find that if we are pleasant but firm they always have been able to find us a table at late traditional.

Since you are in late Traditional seating, the responses referring to "making a reservation" don't apply; those would apply to Anytime dining, not Traditional.

The request for the table for two should have been made by your TA when you booked your cruise. Chances are that this close to sailing, all of the tables for two have been taken. :( You can do one of two things:

-- go to the Maitre D' as soon as you board and request the table for two; or,

-- switch from Traditional to Anytime dining and when you get to the dining room, request a table for two.

There are pluses and minus' to both of these options. With Traditional dining, you may not get the table for two since most requests have been in for months. With Anytime dining, you are likely to experience a wait for a table and most of the tables for two are only about a foot apart so they're not really private.

Your best bet is to see the Maitre D' when you board and ask his help and advice.

On our Sapphire cruise, we followed this advice. But the Maitre d' told us NO TABLES FOR TWO CAN BE RESERVED in advance, at least on that ship. They did reserve tables for large parties, however. We pressed, to no avail. We had anytime dining. We just got to the dining room at 5:30 every evening, and had a 2-top every night.

We did request a 2 top when we booked directly thru Princess, but there's no guarantee. So we'll prob. go right to the diningroom when we get one and reserve one through there. We've been lucky all other times (this is my 7th cruise.) Thanks for the responses everyone!

Archived