Cruising from New York

Gonzo13

My wife and I will be crusing to the Caribbean in September on the Carnival Miracle.

Can anyone tell me if the water will be rough at any point in the Atlantic? I am thinking of getting an aft balcony cabin and want to know if the water is rough would I be better off mid ship. My wife sometimes is prone to motion sickness. Thanks for your help.

Depends on where any hurricanes are. As you know, that's prime hurricane season. We have sailed out of NY in Sept several times to Bermuda. I recall one year the sea was like glass, coming and going. One year, we departed 2 days after a hurricane hit Bermuda. The seas were fine, but Bermuda was in pretty rough shape when we arrived. Many power lines down, some parts of the island still w/o electricity. But back to your quetion....if there aren't any hurricanes in the area, seas should be fairly smooth. If there are any hurricanes, I'd bet your litinerary and route of sailing will change.

I would expect some rough water at some time during your cruise. As Marco says it's prime hurricane season so there will probably be something around somewhere in your cruise. An aft cabin might get a little bouncey. Impossible to know for sure obviously. How's that for a definite maybe.

We've cruised many times in an aft balcony. I'm also prone to motion sickness. To be safe, I take Bonine which has always helped until January when we hit rough waters on our Panama Canal cruise. I would have cheerfully traded with the crew for a lower deck midship cabin. A ship is like a seasaw. The lower and the more to the middle of the ship you are, the less motion you'll feel. And, yes, there is vibration. More on some ship than others. I spent an entire day midship sitting outside on deck 5. I didn't feel the motion at all. However, once we walked to the aft, we were rockin' and a rollin'. No more afts for us! And, no way would I chance it in September.

We cruised on the Miracle from NY on Sept. 2008. We also happened to hit a hurricane on the way down and it was very very rocky. That is the peak of hurricane season, so expect them.

Great cruise though! you will love it.

Archived