Can you take a taxi from the port to Stingray City?

gam888

Going to Grand Cayman on the Carnival Legend this August. Can you take a taxi to the Stingray City? I heard that the "tours" basically involve the transportation to the place and that is. What much does it cost to book a tour with one of the local company, would they take a group of five for a mixed cost? Has anyone been substituted a port instead of Grand Cayman because of weather? If so, where does Carnival take you to? What other tours would you recommend for a family with 3 teenagers, one non-swimmer?

Most tours go to the Stingray Sandbar site which is more than two miles from the closest point of land.

Stingray City is another site which is about three miles from land.

You cannot take a taxi to either but there are many local tour operators who will take you out by boat and also arrange the transportation to and from the port.

Thanks for your reply, what is the difference between Stingray Sandbar and Stingray City? I thought there was only one place like this in Grand Cayman?Is the one in Grand Cayman better than the one in Cozumel? I understand that there are more of this type of attraction on other Caribbean islands, some are set up better than other, which one is the nicest?

... what is the difference between Stingray Sandbar and Stingray City? ...

The names are used interchangeably by many and there may or may not be a difference. There are areas where you got out of the boat into knee deep water on a sandbar a few miles from short to see the stingrays. There are tours that go the the same general area but not to the sandbar and you see the stingrays while snorkeling in deeper water. Every ships tour and most private tours I've seen which mention either go to the sandbar. If taking a private tour, especially if you book with vendors on the spot at the dock, then make sure you're going to which you prefer. Most choose, and I'd recommend, a tour which goes to the sandbar to see the stingrays and also stops for snorkeling at reefs nearby.

Thanks for your reply, what is the difference between Stingray Sandbar and Stingray City? I thought there was only one place like this in Grand Cayman?

These are two quite different sites which are about 3 miles apart from each other.

Stingray City is the "original" location. The water is about 12 feet deep. Tours to scuba dive with the rays go to this location and a few tour operators will take snorkelers there. This is where the stingrays were first hand fed.

The Stingray Sandbar is a site where the water is shallow enough to stand up. The sandbar does not break the surface of the water. Most of the tours to snorkel with the rays go here.

Both sites are located in Cayman's North Sound. They have distinctly separate populations of rays.

These are two quite different sites which are about 3 miles apart from each other....

I'm sure your post is very accurate - but the cruise line excursion listings and ads from local Cayman tour operators call both of these areas "Sting Ray City". So read the tour descriptions carefully when choosing.

A quick read of a brochure for a recent cruise had three basic trips included separately or in combination with other areas (such as a beach stop or reef snorkeling) for a total of around 7 different offerings. All of them included the term "Sting Ray City": One called it Sting Ray City Sandbar; one just said Sting Ray City but the description mentioned the sandbar and the description on the third made it sound like you'd be swimming or snorkeling with the Sting Rays and not on the sandbar.

A quick look at the internet sites for a couple well known tour providers, who I know go to the sandbar, indicated the same. The main captions of their tours indicated "Sting Ray City" rather than Sting Ray Sandbar but if you read the descriptions they indicated they were going to the sandbar.

I thought we had all this resolved in your previous thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=959015

There are tons of tour operators. If you read the dozens of stingray city threads in this forum, you will see many reviews of tours, including costs.

There are a number of threads on the "missed Cayman as a port" and the "other good tours" topics. If you can't find them with a search, your best bet is to post those questions as separate threads with appropriate titles. That way, you will get more people reading the threads who have the answers to those questions.

Drew's info on the Sandbar vs. Stingray City is very accurate. Yes, many operators use the terms interchangeably, but that doesn't change the fact that the names are what they are. :D Part of that is probably because not all cruise ship visitors are as "well-researched" as the average CC'er...

Thanks all for replying. I have researched into 3 tour companies and they range from $35-$45 for the stingray and snorkeling stop. We would be interested in visiting the Stingrays in knee high water and do the snorkeling tour after . Having one non swimmer in the family, wonder where is a good snorkeling site if given a choice among the 3 companies. Because that would make a difference to us. The 3 companies I have heard mentioned mostly are Moby Dick, Captain Marvin and Nativeway, please share you experience with them with us. Thanks

Thanks all for replying. I have researched into 3 tour companies and they range from $35-$45 for the stingray and snorkeling stop. We would be interested in visiting the Stingrays in knee high water and do the snorkeling tour after . Having one non swimmer in the family, wonder where is a good snorkeling site if given a choice among the 3 companies. Because that would make a difference to us. The 3 companies I have heard mentioned mostly are Moby Dick, Captain Marvin and Nativeway, please share you experience with them with us. Thanks

gam888-

We used Nativeway two weeks ago. We did the stingray sandbar and island highlights tour. We had three "non-swimmers" with our group. One of the deckhands actually carried two of them on his back to a spot where they could stand. When it was time to leave, he carried them back to the boat. He actually carried my Mother-in-law up the swim ladder. I was amazed. Anyways, we were very satisfied with the service Nativeway provided.

My recommendation is Moby Dick. I can't swim, water was waist high (I'm 5 feet tall). The guides are young, fun, professional. They went out of their way to accomodate everybody. One of my party is wheelchair-bound, but, in the water is an excellent swimmer. We asked if he could take the tour, fully expecting to be refused. They welcomed him aboard, and he was able to swim around with the stingrays. I would be willing to bet most other companies would have declined to let him aboard, probably citing insurance reasons, etc. I feel Moby Dick went above and beyond, and I always recommend them..............have never heard a bad report on them.

we were there last week and chose Captain Marvin's...a 3 hour trip with stops at stingray sandbar, barrier reef and coral gardens...these 3 stops were very close together, so there was a lot of water time and not much drive time between locations.

even with non-swimmers the sandbar will be a great experience...it is very shallow, and there are inflatable vests that can be used to make them more comfortable.

i think they would enjoy the other stops as well, even if they stay on the boat....they can take pictures while you snorkel!! and, it is beautiful, so i would rather be on the boat there than here on my sofa typing right now!!!

we were very very happy with captain marvins from start to finish...price was very reasonable...39.99 per person (no tax)...they were easy to find from the pier and we found them professional and courteous. i would give them a 10 out of 10 and am recommending them to several friends planning trips to GC.

have fun!!!! no matter what i am sure you will enjoy your trip!

Archived