Does your child suffer from motion sickness?

lds26

I hate highjacking threads, but I always think of these things after reading another thread, so I thought I would create one of my own. My son suffers from car sickness horribly. Now its not motion sickness as he rides the amusement park rides with no problems but when he is in the car then thats a different problem. I just want to hear if other people's children are affected on the ship as they are in the vehicle. Of course I will be preparing well in advance, the Easter Bunny brought SeaBands for the boys :D. I am hoping for the best but yeah am prepared for anything.

I hate highjacking threads, but I always think of these things after reading another thread, so I thought I would create one of my own. My son suffers from car sickness horribly. Now its not motion sickness as he rides the amusement park rides with no problems but when he is in the car then thats a different problem. I just want to hear if other people's children are affected on the ship as they are in the vehicle. Of course I will be preparing well in advance, the Easter Bunny brought SeaBands for the boys :D. I am hoping for the best but yeah am prepared for anything.

My DD suffers from very occasional car sickness (in which case I always keep Traveleeze in the car; I believe in the US Bonine? is similar). She didn't suffer from travel sickness on board ship except for one very rough day heading for Tunis; I just gave her a Traveleeze and she was absolutely fine. I'd always take some medication just in case!

I suffer from terrible car sickness in cars and buses but not so much on the boat except for that very rough day. Unfortunately Seabands don't do a thing for me (but the nausea is so severe hopefully that's just me) but Traveleeze works great.

Kind regards, Spanner x

My 10 yo gets motion sick on planes and cruises. He was extremely sick on the the Disney cruise, so I had to give him Bonine the whole time which made him drowsy. We just returned from the Navigator of the Seas and had only one bad day in which I had to give him the Bonine and had Seabands standing by if needed. I did give the whole family ginger tablets this time and they seemed to work on him except for this really rough day. I asked my pediatrician about the patch for him, but he is under 12 so they won't prescribe it. She did give me a phenergin gel for him to rub on his wrists if it got too bad. It has to be mixed at a compounding pharmacy, though, and will cause drowsiness, too.

My five year old frequently gets car sick (and plane sick). But she's cruised twice now with no problems. I did bring some ginger-based lollipops, benadryl and sea bands for her, but she didn't need any of them!

Good luck!

Sunny

My five year old frequently gets car sick (and plane sick). But she's cruised twice now with no problems. I did bring some ginger-based lollipops, benadryl and sea bands for her, but she didn't need any of them!

Good luck!

Sunny

I am actually pretty excited about looking for ginger-based lollipops for our son!!!! I am hoping that these help my son.

I haven't seen my DD (age 3) get car sick yet, and we've taken some pretty long road trips. :eek:

However, at my daughter's check-up last month, I told her pediatrician we would be cruising in May and asked if there was anything I could give her if she got sea sick. The doctor said 1/2 a tablet of dramamine would be fine.

DD (8) has always had a problem with car and sea sickness. We give her 1/4 tablet of chewable dramamine morning, afternoon and night (or every 6 hours) when we are sailing. It's orange and it says its for children and adults on the package. She does not get sick and does not get drowsy. We also do this for long car trips. DH and I are also prone to sea sickness so we take 1/4 to 1/2 tablet and we have never had a problem with getting sick or sleepy. It is our miracle drug for sea sickness. :)

DD only gets sea sick on the smaller boats (tenders, excursion boats, etc.) When she was about three, we got her to try candied ginger (baking area in grocery or mail order from Penzey's or The Spice House). A little bit to nibble on during a trip and being careful to sit toward the back of the boat and she's been fine.

Archived