Sad Story...pray for the family

Reva_Dearchi

Wow -

Just reflecting while preparing for our annual cruise...About 7 years ago my dd met a sweet girl at the pool on a Carnival Ship and they became fast friend at 7 years old. My dh and the little girl's dad (Leo) watched the girls swim and the girls introduced them. They started talking and for the next seven days the guys watched the kiddies at the pool in the afternoons and the little girls mom and I started hanging out as well. We all just 'clicked' and really enjoyed each other's company.

We developed a nice friendship and started planning and meeting up for our annual cruise. They live on the west coast and we're on the east coast. We've visited them and they had plans of visiting us this summer.

The really sad thing is that 23 days after our cruise last year in August, Leo passed away of a condition were the lining of his aorta was so thin that eventually it ruptured and he bled out. He had no idea that he had this condition and it was a total shock to all of us! He was in his late 40's with 3 kids. The kids and wife are doing ok these days but I will miss the great vacations we all shared and I just ask that you please say a prayer for the family!

My family and I will miss his wonderful spirit!!!!

That is very sad. You have those wonderful memories to appreciate the good times you shared. We met a couple on a cruise in 1993 before we had children and also clicked and have been friends since. We have experienced early marriage to having our first children to having our second children together. We try and get our families together once a year also and plan to do a cruise again together soon. We live on the East Coast and they live in the mid-west. I can only imagine how I would feel if something happened to one of them.

Julie

Wow -

Just reflecting while preparing for our annual cruise...About 7 years ago my dd met a sweet girl at the pool on a Carnival Ship and they became fast friend at 7 years old. My dh and the little girl's dad (Leo) watched the girls swim and the girls introduced them. They started talking and for the next seven days the guys watched the kiddies at the pool in the afternoons and the little girls mom and I started hanging out as well. We all just 'clicked' and really enjoyed each other's company.

We developed a nice friendship and started planning and meeting up for our annual cruise. They live on the west coast and we're on the east coast. We've visited them and they had plans of visiting us this summer.

The really sad thing is that 23 days after our cruise last year in August, Leo passed away of a condition were the lining of his aorta was so thin that eventually it ruptured and he bled out. He had no idea that he had this condition and it was a total shock to all of us! He was in his late 40's with 3 kids. The kids and wife are doing ok these days but I will miss the great vacations we all shared and I just ask that you please say a prayer for the family!

That is a very sad story. I hope that both families could continue to take a vacation together and celebrate the life that he had. The time between good friends should be cherished because we are not here long on this earth.

Our sad story is our friend Tom. We met him onboard the Paradise when their family sat with our family at dinner. They were celebrating the end of his bout with cancer. The next year we all went on the Paradise together again. Right after that the cancer came back and he passed away that summer, leaving his wife and 12 year old son. Tom would wear a kilt to dinner on formal night; women would come up to him to get their pictures taken with him. We only spent those two weeks together, but we still miss him, especially when we cruise.

Something similar happened to my husband On Jan 27th 2007 at age 40. His aorta dissected. He had emergency open heart surgery and spent 63 days in the hospital. On the blog section of my web-site is his story.

Aortic Dissections/Ruptures can be very very serious. It was an AD that killed John Ritter.

Most people have no idea they have issues with the aorta until it's too late.

I'm sorry about your friend. I'm very very lucky to have a living husband

I'm a long term survivor of AIDS and very lucky to be alive also. We choose to live every single day like it's a gift because it is. It can all be gone in an instant

Very sad--my hubby just had his aorta grafted, as he had a HUGE aortic aneurysm....we're very lucky that it was found before it ruptured---an accidental finding, but very, very lucky! Apparently, these aortic aneurysms are more common that I would ever have thought!

I believe they are more common than anyone would think. I too, had a cousin (30), suffer a aortic rupture while driving her 8 year old son on Thanksgiving Day a few years back. He dialed 911 but she bled out. The whole family was tested and it was discovered that 2 brothers required surgery. She saved their lives. As a result, we tell each other we love each other every time we talk. More guardian angels on our side. Hug, kiss and tell people you love them. Hold those dear to your heart close.

Very sad--my hubby just had his aorta grafted, as he had a HUGE aortic aneurysm....we're very lucky that it was found before it ruptured---an accidental finding, but very, very lucky! Apparently, these aortic aneurysms are more common that I would ever have thought!

Wow, That's very lucky and amazing. I think it's extremelly rare to find out about these things early. I know some people are more likelly to have AA's like people with Marfans syndrome.

You don't have to answer this, but I'm assuming to graft his Aorta they had to do open heart surgery? My husband has a huge dacron graft in his chest.

Wow -

so very sad....my mother passed away from the same thing (she was 63) and I miss her terribly. I will say a prayer for that family.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the prayers! We know that when prayers go up, blessings come down! Hopefully the family will make it to our home in July. That's what Leo was planning so I think they're going to make the trip with him in spirit. My prayers go out to all of you as well.

Archived