Delos museum closed? Worth going if it is?

I think I read somewhere that the museum in Delos is closed for renovations. I've googled & can't find anything that mentions that or whether it's now open again.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Also, if it is closed, it sounds like that would not be a reason to skip Delos. True?

Thanks for any advice.

I read a few months ago that the Greek government was cutting back hours at a lot of museums due to lack of funding to pay staff.....but I haven't heard about the Delos museum closing for renovations.

At any rate, I'd say Delos is worth doing even if the museum is closed. Although it's a nice little museum, it's certainly not the main reason I enjoyed Delos so much.

The museum in Delos was interesting, but definitely not the high light of our day there. We were there on a beautiful day last April. We walked as much of the ruins as we could. Not only was there a lot to see, it was beautiful with the spring flowers blooming. We enjoyed it a lot. Definitely worth seeing. I only wish I had done some homework (study) about it before we came so I understood it's history.

Thanks for the input!

Do you think it's better to do alone rather than take a ship's excursion - the main benefit of which would be to have a guide? I'm not a fan of ship's excursions in general but I did read some reasons to consider one in this instance.

Thanks for the input!

Do you think it's better to do alone rather than take a ship's excursion - the main benefit of which would be to have a guide? I'm not a fan of ship's excursions in general but I did read some reasons to consider one in this instance.

Although I'm not a huge fan of ship excursions, I took this one because of the timing (we didn't arrive in Mykonos until noon in November and I didn't want to miss the opportunity of seeing Delos if, for example, the ferry was already booked or had left). The guide was okay; I stayed with the group long enough to hear some basic info then wandered off on my own. I had a self-guided tour and map that I found on the Internet and that was quite useful. I've looked for the link but it doesn't seem to work any longer....

Kalimera Sparky...

When we went there was no museum, but what you will see throughout the island is really what makes it "worth it"

I'm in agreement with cruisemom42 as we don't like shorex and prefer to be on our own...

However, the timing of the port ..made it in our best interests to take one.

Personally, Delos was one of the highlights!

Bon Voyage

Susnyk --

Here's a good website showing Delos with links to maps, etc.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/greece/delos.htm

We've decided to book with the ship's tour so that we have a guide and possibly to get tendered early.

Beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to post. The link I used a couple of years back is not functional any longer; but this gives plenty of good info.

Archived