Saxman Native Village or Lumberjack Show

panda24

Is the lumberjack show really worth going to see? We have such a short time in Ketchikan that I hate to miss just exploring the city on foot. From what I've read the Saxman Native Village is the do not miss attraction. Any thoughts or suggestion?

what I've read the Saxman Native Village is the do not miss attraction. Any thoughts or suggestion?

We went to Saxman, and it was near the bottom of our list of things we enjoyed in Alaska. The only thing we enjoyed less, was the Cabin Night Dinner Theatre in Denali.

Your personal interests will determine if it is a place you would like or not. To be fair, I will say that many others on the tour seemed to thoroughly enjoy it.

I wish we had taken an excursion that would have shown us the scenery of the area. In the end, what we enjoyed most about Alaska was the beautiful scenery. We never got bored of it.

Good luck with your decision.

Your best bet would be to do as much reading as you can about both, and then decide which you think you would prefer. For me and my family the Lumberjack show was a complete waste of time and money (and that includes a ten-year-old's opinion also). In fact, of our two trips so far, that show was without a doubt the worst!! On the other hand, Saxman Village was one of our favorites, and we will be going for a third time this June - mainly to go in the carving shed. (We had originally planned to zipline in Ketchikan, but they go rain or shine, and it has poured both times we were there.)

We went to the Lumberjack Show this past summer and enjoyed it, but this was our fifth visit to Ketchikan and we had been to Saxman the previous week (we were on a b2b) and the other 3 times in Ketchikan. I would definitely do Saxman over the Lumberjack Show.

If your main interest is seeing totem poles, you can see them at the Totem Heritage Center (on the walking tour) for about $5/pp. You can also take the city bus to Totem Bight State Park.

The two venues are entirely different. Think of the Lumberjack show as a cheap knock off of the Wide World of Sports from the 50's-60's. Saxman Village as a cultural affair but except for the performance and the carving building there are better totems around the area.

June will be our third trip and we will stay in town and walk around the Heritage Museum and Creek Street.

Archived