Ways to make a cruise with an 18 month old enjoyable for all?

My son sailed with us on his first cruise at 9 months and his second at 19 months. (He will sail on his third at the end of this month at 26 months!).

Bringing the stroller on board is not a problem. High chairs are available both in the dining room and in windjammer. There is a children's menu that had the typical children's items...hamburger/cheeseburger, hot dog, spaghetti, pizza, macaroni & cheese, Peanut butter & jelly, etc. It also included both white and chocolate milk and of course ice cream for dessert! The "cribs" will be pack n plays. I bring along my own fitted sheet designed for the pack 'n plays. Otherwise you will just get a regular sheet and have to wrap it around the mattress. We also bring along our own blanket that my son is used to. (and of course, a few favorite small toys)

My child was too young for the Adventure Ocean program (and still is). However, he loved the shows in the lounge. Of course, it helps that he LOVES music. Also, he enjoyed strolling around the deck in the stroller and thought the belly flop contest was funny. We have a battery operated fan that clips to his stroller for the trips into port and bring ice water in an insulated cup for the trips into port.

On our last trip, my son was learing his numbers so he really enjoyed walking down the hallways and then seeing the numbers by the elevators. Of course being able to push our button on the elevator was a highlight for him!!

We brought along the small inflatable tub (designed to fit into your own bathtub when your child is too big for the small portable tub, but too small for the regular tub. It sits well in the shower, or out on the balcony if you have one.

Be sure to pack enough diapers or other items your child needs as those are not available on board. Once we were passed the formula and jarred food stage, the packing became much easier.

The ease of your trip with the toddler will obviously depend a lot on the disposition of your child and what you like to do. If your child is inquisitive and enjoys seeing new things and people, you will probably be surprised on how little work it really is to take them along. In our case, we are not into laying by the pool or partying into the wee hours, so the fact that we have a little one with us is no big deal. Up to now, we have not found it necessary to use the in cabin babysitting service, but you never know...there may come a time when we want to use it.

Leaving our child home is not an option for us, but have found that taking him with has not interfered with our cruise enjoyment. We are very aware of our fellow cruisers around us and take our child from the shows or dining room should he begin crying. That has only happened once during the two cruises.

Enjoy your cruise!

Marilyn

Nordic Empress 10/97

Monarch of the Seas 9/98

Enchantment of the Seas 2/99

Vision of the Seas 1/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 1/01

Monarch of the Seas 12/01

Monarch of the Seas 12/02

Adventure of the Seas 10/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;31;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail on Grandeur of the Seas!

I would not set your expectations too high. Have a backup plan in case your toddler is not going with the flow. I would take turns with hubby every other day...to be the primary caretaker so you can at least relax every other day.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

I just wanted to thank you all for such great suggestions - I am relieved to hear about the inflatable tub idea for the shower as I was a little worried about how that would work.

I also just read that RCCL is planning to charge for Johnny Rockets (something like $3 a meal for ages 5 and above).

As for the pool topic - can we PLEASE move on? I think the topic has exhausted itself.

thanks,

Karen

also, has anyone stayed in an E1 class cabin with a toddler? We are booked in a smaller outside cabin with a balcony and I am wondering if they are big enough to move around in with a crib? Is there room for my toddler to run around in there?

Karen

Room to move around, yes. Run around...not much! Best to save the running around for public areas where Fogy is hanging out. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We also has a room that the bed pulled down from the wall, we put the crib under that and wrapped a blanket under the mattress,so it would hang down,we could have lights on and it was still dark for her. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The above is a great idea! I will have to remember this trick when my teens and adult daughter share a quad. My DD can be really crabby if she is awakened by light. We will just pull down the extra bunk, put a blanket around it and have her sleep in the bed below.

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

lindalu62 and others -

I agree that the rights of other people should be respected, but I also agree with the above poster who stated that she's paying a lot of money to cruise with her child, and that child will be in the swimming pool. I don't know where/when some of you have seem babies in pools with swim diapers, but I have had my 10 month old grandson in my pool for several hours a day over the past 3 days. He was wearing "Huggies Little Swimmers" swim diapers(under his bathing trunks) and aside from seeing the blue color at the waistband, there was no indication he was wearing one. There was no water leakage into the diaper, so the diaper DID NOT swell up. It was as thin and light as when it was put on.

I also have to agree with the person who mentioned germs coming from places other than baby diapers. Parents obviously know when something is going on in their baby's diaper - and most parents will take care of that problem.

And - too all of you anti-baby/children cruisers - We have had a cruise booked on the Sovereign for August 16 since before Christmas. Look for us, we'll be in the pool (with our grandson) who will be wearing swim diapers - and I bet you will never guess - unless you can tell by his age; it surely won't be because his swim diaper is HUGE.

Happy Cruising!

I think that is shameful that you plan to show blatant disregard for the ship's rules, and total disrespect for other cruisers. The fact that you are paying $$$ for the cruise is irrelavent. We pay $$$ for an airline ticket, yet follow many rules there as well, that are for the safety of fellow passengers. I see no difference.

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sorry...not a child hater...by any means...but I can tell you this...if you put your grandson in the pool...people will know he has a swimmy on...and the RCCL deck patrol will ask you to take him out...without a doubt. It is a big no no.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;4;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My first balcony on the Serenade - 4/16/05!!!

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Have you ever had an e.coli infection? You won't like it at all. This is why people end up getting bashed...being irresponsible.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till Mariner

Queen Elizabeth 1963

Florida 1966

Mardi Gras 1980

Holiday 1982

Tropicale 1999

Pride 2002

Grand Princess 2003

Mariner 2004

happysinglemom - Blatant Disregard - come on. Surely you're not going to tell me that you have never exceeded the speedlight - blatantly disregarding traffic laws and possible driving fast enough to cause an accident. Or that you've never run your gas tank past the money you paid(even a few cents) and not gone back to pay the difference. Or what about scanning professional pictures and printing them so you don't have to spend a lot of money. The list could go on -

toban1 - I believe my grandson and I are both very luckly people.

dentalchic - my post did not indicate that I would try to hide the swim diaper; just that it is virtually unrecognizable under a swimsuit. They are not bulky as others have stated. You know, I've been on several cruises and have yet to see the DECK PATROL ask anyone to exit the pool. Even the over-exuberant teenagers who are demonstrating a lot of horseplay. Never seen anyone asked to remove a baby from the pool either. However, if the pool police were to ask me to take Titus out, I will oblige, but you can be assured I will also point out the others who are disregarding pool rules as well.

cruzinpsycharnp - e.coli infection - no never one. But I'll bet there are many other sources of e.colio germs in the swimming pool other than those that may come from a baby diaper. I would also think that if someone has an e.coli infection, he/she would be too sick to be in a swimming pool anyway. And if they've just become infected - well how many other people have mono, etc. that are in the pool, too. Besides, if water can't get into the swim diaper(and it didn't with the ones I used), then it's not going to come out. And as I previously stated, parents know when they're child's diaper needs to be changed. What concerns me more is the older children who know better, and I'm sure some adults, too, who just pee in the pool anyway, then you're playing around, your head goes under and you take a big drink of pool water. Germs from baby diapers are the least of my concern at that point.

Happy Cruising!

Sorry to disappoint you - I don't run redlights and I do drive very responsibly. I don't even have a scanner, so no to that too. And I pay with gas by CC, so not an issue. Come on - it's a simple rule - not hard to follow. If the baby is potty-trained, then they can go in the pool. 'Nuff said.

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

WHAT?????? Cmauney, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read!!!! I spend the weekend with a large family that we will be cruising with over the winter holiday this year, including two cousins that are 9 months old. I took both of them to the pool at the hotel, wearing swim diapers, and after we got down there, we noticed a sign with the rules, one of which is that a child must be potty trained. You know what? We didn't get in. There wasn't another soul in the pool area, but we stayed out, out of respect for the other people staying at the hotel.

Your statement to cruzinpsycharnp that you can't get an e. coli infection from baby diapers that "don't leak" just shows your ignorance. Fecal material is the NUMBER ONE source of e. coli infections, as well as many other GI diseases. Why do you think the ships have signs EVERYWHERE to remind you to wash your hands after using the restroom? I'll help you out, its to help prevent these diseases.

Moreover, if you have a grandchild that’s only 9 months old, I'd think that protecting his health would be foremost on your mind. Pools, especially saltwater pools that are not chlorinated, are home to lots of different bacteria and viri (but not EBV, like you tried to assert in your post), and are not a safe place for young children with developing immune systems. You should know that you're not only endangering my health, but your grandson's health as well. And an e. coli is MUCH more dangerous to him than it is to me.

To think that you could even equate horseplay in the pool, and the rough equivalent of a bioterror weapon (its going a bit far, but I think it's a fair comparison) is ridiculous. Keep Titus healthy, as well as all the other people around you. Remember, there are lots of immunosuppressed people out there, whose immune systems would lose a battle with an infection from your grandson's fecal material. How would you feel if you were responsible for that person's death?

Use that as your standard for decision making, not how much you paid for your cruise.

Now, for some helpful material, and to keep this topic on track. I love kids of all ages, and believe that they belong on a cruise as much as I do. In the past, I’ve endorsed a hypothetical minimum age requirement, but until they put one into effect, I’m more than happy to share my boat with little ones.

I’ve never cruised with an infant, but do have some observations from the people around me that have. First and foremost, if your toddler is going to be dining with you, get the early seating at dinner! I don’t mind kids in the dining room, but they get cranky by the time late seating’s desert comes out at 10:15 or so. More to the point, just keep them on the same sleep/wakefulness schedule that you use at home. That’ll make you, my, and everyone else’s lives better.

Also, don’t feel like your child is a burden on others. Almost everyone loves a happy baby, so feel free to get out into the public areas and have some fun (emphasis on sunscreen if you’re going up on deck). If some grumpy curmudgeon makes you sad, there are a hundred parents (my mom is a great example) that would like nothing better than to coo and play with you baby for a couple of minutes. It’s a great game, and she never tires of it (hence the rather constant reminders about grandchildren. icon_eek.gif

Do bring a couple of favorite books, and a stroller that’s made for travel (those big jogging strollers are great for shore excursions), and whatever pacifies your kid, be it a nook, or blankie, or whatever.

Most importantly, have a great time. Enjoy your cruise!

"Remember, there are lots of immunosuppressed people out there, whose immune systems would lose a battle with an infection from your grandson's fecal material. How would you feel if you were responsible for that person's death?"

I'm one of those people. I am a transplant patient so I guess it's alright for you to risk killing me to placate your grandchild? You obviously have no idea what it is like to fear for your life because of inconsiderate people like you.

Karen, I'm sorry about getting off topic. Have a great trip.

fsh_anm.gif

royalsmallwide.gif

Mariner of The Seas 09/04(Royal Hounds)countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;09;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Hey CMauney

I guess that there wasn't much emphasis on biology in your schoolday.I have to say that you must be a real treat to be around. You'll make sure that you'll tell on everybody else, eh?Why don't you snorkel in the tub with the grandson & stay away from the pool altogether? I'm sure that will improve things for everybody else, too!

Originally posted by Lilylady:

Karen, I'm sorry about getting off topic. Have a great trip.

Thanks for not dragging me into this conversation - I am sorry that I even mentioned the word Pool in my original post - who knew it would be such an issue?

not to add fuel to the fire or anything but anyone that DOES have immune issues should avoid the kiddie pool anyway (which is where I assume that the swim diapers are the issue) - I know PLENTY of people who take their potty trained kids on cruises and in the pools and these kids have gotten other illnesses from the pool and ship - such as pink eye and flu type viruses.

Either way, when you are on a ship you can't control what other people will do - you just have to watch out for your self.

Leave the little tyke at home! That will make everyone alot happier!

Stretch

Barcrawlers on ice, where will we turn up next?

Carnival Celebration 08/97

Carnival Fantasy 02/99

RCI Explorer 05/02

RCI Brilliance 04/03 The Barcrawler Legend Begins

RCI Brilliance 03/04 The Return of the Barcrawlers

Celebrity Summit 06/10/2005

Barcrawlers in Alaska

email address: Stretchcrawler@yahoo.com

Stretch:

I can't believe it's taken you this long to throw your anti-children comments into the ring!

Marilyn

Nordic Empress 10/97

Monarch of the Seas 9/98

Enchantment of the Seas 2/99

Vision of the Seas 1/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 1/01

Monarch of the Seas 12/01

Monarch of the Seas 12/02

Adventure of the Seas 10/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;31;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail on Grandeur of the Seas!

We are in the process of adopting and will probably have our little one in July. That would make her 8 months old.

The thought of not being able to cruise until she is 3 years old is depressing at best. Thanks for all of you that had good ideas and tips. I think we will probably give it a try.

As far as the putting her in a swim diaper and then letting her in the kiddy pool... We wouldn't do it.

Originally posted by MariTenor1:

Stretch:

I can't believe it's taken you this long to throw your anti-children comments into the ring!

Marilyn

Sorry, but I've been out of town and off the net for a week. I'll try to keep up better from now on, especially on important topics such as this.

Stretch

Some very good points have been made on the ramifications of transmittable contagions. On this thread I have read everything from leave the poopy offender at home to respect the health and safety of others ..not to mention obey the RULES..... yet, there are those that will do what they wish to heck with everyone else.

*sigh*

Kids will do and become as they are taught. icon_rolleyes.gif

1d.jpg Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Why do self-confessed child haters even bother to click on a post about 18 month olds??? I usually don't click on topics that don't pertain to me. This person asked a reasonable question. No need to turn it into an anti-kid fest. Do some people just look for posts they can add their negativity to??

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;23;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Rhapsody May 23rd 2004

Archived