Woman Quits Job For Cruise & Hits Jackpot

JDee

A nurse's aide resigned after 17 years rather than miss the boat. Then a ship slot machine coughed up $321,694.

Miami -- A nurse's aide who quit her job to take a cruise won $321,694 slot machine jackpot aboard a Carnival Cruise Lines ship.

Carol Baird of Port Richey (FL) hit the big payout early Wednesday morning aboard the Carival GLORY while the ship was cruising off the U. S. Virgin Islands.

Baird, 59, quit her job after realizing she had booked her cruise in violation of her company's policy prohibiting personal vacation time seven days before or after a holiday.

"When I booked the cruise, I didn't look at the calender," Baird said via satellite phone Thursday.

So Baird decided to quit her job at the nursing home where she had worked for 17 years. She said she was playing the ship's MegaCash machine, featuring a fleet-wide progressive jackpot, with her husband gambling next to her. Initially she didn't realize she had struck the bonanza.

"Now I'm glad I did (quit)," she said. Baird said she was going to get the jackpot payout in installments over six years "so I don't have to work."

The largest slot machine payout aboard a Carnival Cruise Lines' ship was $1.1 million, won March 18, 1998, and shared by two people after a protracted lawsuit was settled, Carnival officials said. The Carnival GLORY is scheduled to return to Port Canaveral on Saturday morning.

====================================

Guess that gal will be a Carnival fan from here on......

Okay, wait......she puts a vacation before her job, and is rewarded by winning 321,000 bucks. Then, she's taking payments over 6 years, which, after the government gets their share, will be about 30 grand a year. What happens after that, because she sure isn't going to be able to save much. Wait, nevermind, I'm using common sense again! :D

$30K/yr for a nurses aid, at least around here, is a phenominal wage.

In 6 years she will reach traditional retirement age anyway.

Enjoy your good fortune and retire early. You've earned it.

She is a US citizen so she is subject to the normal taxes. Unless you are living overseas for an extended period of time, you get dinged by the "normal" laws and regulations. There are ways around some of this and sounds like she is taking the best option. She has worked most of the year and is in certain tax bracket. By spreading the payout across multiple years she is lowering each individual years tax bracket and thushly percentage due to income taxes.

Archived