Chocolate buffet on the Monarch?

A couple years ago I experienced a Midnight Chocolate Buffet on NCL. I'm a card-carrying Chocohalic so I made sure this was on my schedule.

Since it didn't start till 11:30pm, I had a few drinks prior and showed up in a happy mood, ready to OD on chocolate. A long line had already formed by the time I got there at 11:10. As I joined the line and shuffled toward the dining room, the drinks had kicked in and I felt pretty light-headed. But it didn't prepare me for the Chocolate-Fueled Felini Movie I stumbled upon!!

As I entered the dining room there was an elevated stage with a grand piano and the piano player dressed in white was playing Christmas music--it was AUGUST!! Then the waiter handed me a plate and I worked my way down the line. The buffet was pretty much destroyed by the time I got there with all kinds of chocolate cakes, cookies and cheesecakes hacked away by spatulas and knifes. There were empty trays with bits and pieces of what appeared "were" chocolate covered fruit--it looked like people cut as much of the bare fruit off and took the chocolate covering.

I looked beyond the buffet to the tables where the crowds were sitting with plates piled about a foot high with mountain of unrecognizable chocolate mish-mash. The din of the crowd was incredible as they picked off pieces of their "mountain" and stuffed it in their mouth. They were all laughing and talking and their mouths and teeth were caked with chocolate.

The young man in front of me was building his own "mountain" from the wreckage of the bits and pieces that were left on the buffet. At the very end of the buffet there were 2 chocolate fountains--one with melted dark chocolate and the other with white chocolate. The guy in front of me took a ladle of each and poured the down over the top of his "chocolate mountain." I thought I was going to toss my cookies.

Then I finally realized that I had walked completely through the line and did not have one single thing on my plate. I felt queasy as I handed my empty plate to the waiter at the end of the line. He looked completely surprised and asked--"Don't you like chocolate??" I replied "Not anymore."

I went to the elevator only to find folks waiting with what remained of their chocolate mountains; I took the stairs. Once inside my room I wondered if I would ever like chocolate again. It made me sad, since chocolate has always been my constant companion throughout my life.

The next night after dinner, the waiter showed me the dessert menu...one of the items listed was a triple chocolate mousse. I swallowed hard and said, "I'll have the mousse." ....it was DIVINE!! :)

Great story, Boatsie. Thank God it didn't turn you off of chocolate. I canNOT imagine that happening to me, no matter what was going on around me. You can give me chocolate-covered cardboard and I'll love it. :)

Ah, Boatsie - that is the very reason I have not attended a midnight buffet in at least 10 years - absolutely disguisting the way people behave, like no one had fed them during the cruise.

:D@boatsie. I went to the chocolate buffet on NCL a couple of years ago too. I got 2 strawberries and something that was supposed to be a bananna.

Unfortunately i hated the chocolate (it was overly sweet) But yeah, I thought I would toss a few cookies myself after watching a few people.

-Q

Archived