Scooter in dining room

My mother will be using a scooter on our upcoming cruise. She can walk with her cane for short distances. When we go to dinner should she plan to park her scooter near the dining room entrance and walk to our table or should she attempt to get through the dining room with it? Should we request a table near the entrance? This will be her first experience using a scooter on a ship. What about the buffet area - how do people on scooters manuever in there? Thanks for any suggestions.

DW also uses a scooter and has either walked from the entrance of the MDR or driven the scooter to the table and I parked it. The wait staff, especially the Head Waiter, were more than happy to "take a spin" and deliver it to her but knowing how they handle (the scooters) we didn't want to chance a wreck.

I would either go on your cruiselines website for an e-mail address for dining issues AND stop by the Matire'D desk on boarding and ask for a table close to the door.

Enjoy your cruise and make sure you have a big guy, or 2 behind Mom before she tries to drive up the gangway. This can cause makor wheelies and or dump her from the scoot. The crew will help too.

You ARE going to have fun and so will she.

My mother will be using a scooter on our upcoming cruise. She can walk with her cane for short distances. When we go to dinner should she plan to park her scooter near the dining room entrance and walk to our table or should she attempt to get through the dining room with it? Should we request a table near the entrance? This will be her first experience using a scooter on a ship. What about the buffet area - how do people on scooters manuever in there? Thanks for any suggestions.

The answer to this somewhat depends on the cruise line. I know on Princess the buffets have a limited space layout. The few times (very few) we have seen a scooter in the buffet line, it has shown to be very difficult for them to get around and it also made it hard on other passengers to keep from getting run over. Princess has the buffet set up in stations with the space between only about double the width of a regular scooter. So, if sailing Princess, I would suggest visiting the buffet during non peak times or having someone else go through the line for them and deliver the food to the table. ;)

I've sailed on the Westerdam and the Jewel of the Sea. Scooters were in use in both dining rooms. The passenger drove to the table, transferred to a chair, and a staff member drove the scooter to an out of they way spot - did the reverse after the meal. They particularly liked the scooters with horns. They were careful, but some were better drivers than others. I'm sure they would let a family member do the "valet parking" if you were worried.

Have a great trip!

On Celebrity, my scooter was not able to make it between the tables and chairs. I had to park the scooter just inside the entrance to the dining room and then use my cane to get to the table. There are some dining rooms where the tables and chairs are so close together, the waiters can barely make it around.

and even though it may look like there is enough room to get between the chairs and tables when you enter the dining room, it is often not enough space once people are seated and their chairs pushed back. We prefer to get a table near but not at the entrance to the dining room; it makes it so much easier.

On Crown Princess we found it easier to eat in the dining room than the buffet. My FIL drove the scooter to the directed table (easy to maneuver between tables). He then released a switch and the seat could be turned toward the table. He never had to change chairs. We rented from Care vacations.

Hi, like your dear mother I use a scooter and cane. I can walk a bit but can be unsteady some days. I drive to the table and the staff drive my scooter to where they are parked.

My scooter has never been damaged by them. They also help me if I am by myself at lunch they carry my tray and help me find a table I can reach with my scooter. As for the ramps to and from the ship depends on which ship she goes on. I seen Princess on some ships use on stairs and carry disables up and down (can can drop her or her scooter). On RCCL they uses stair at one end sometimes and ramps at other so she would use the ramp a crew member will assist her for any part she needs. Phone the cruise like Special Servi ces department to see if they know which ship uses ramps rather then stairs.

If she wished to tender they will assist her on and off then move her scooter on and off for her. Some places are not very scooter friendly while others are. Please tells us which ship and where you want to go before booking so someone on here can tell you if they know.

My husband and I have been on 6 cruises on RCCL, Princess and Carnival. He uses a power chair on the ship and when we board the ship we go to the dining room and make sure the table is accessible for him to get to. If not they change people around and we get a chair close to the entrance to the dining room. We have never had a problem with changing tables. Enjoy your cruise. 7 days to Alaska Cruise.....................

Archived