Ok Celebrity...it's been nice.

Danno

just another attemt for Danno to start himself a pity parade...... :rolleyes: you dont like this, that, and whatever,,, GET OVER IT ,, and if you let it ruin/run your vacations you have some DEEP problems.....:confused: Life is not,nor ever will be PERFECT,, if you live under the delusions or expectations that your every vacation is going to be a CERTAIN WAY you are bound to be dissapointed/mad/upset..... so why blame someone else,,,, they are YOUR expectations.....????? :confused:

LIFE IS TOO SHORT,, GET OVER THE SMALL STUFF....:)

I don't have a problem with allowing cell phone usage on ships. I do have a problem with rude people. Not all cell phone users are rude, and not all rude people use cell phones. People have a tendency to blame the technology instead of the behavior. For example, people think cell phones should be banned in cars (and in some areas, they are) because they are distracting. A few years ago my car was hit in a parking lot by a man who did not have a cell phone. After he hit me, I hear him yell at his kids, "See! I told you I would get in an accident if you didn't behave!" And yet I did not call for children to be banned from cars.

Many of those who have posted against cell phone usage on ships have cited the fact that they go on vacation to get away from everything as the reason. Their idea of relaxation is to be incommunicado. On the other hand, there are those who find being out of touch stressful rather than relaxing. These folks can coexist in harmony. The technology exists to limit cell phone usage to certain areas. Instead of demanding that Celebrity ban cell phone usage, why not demand that they limit usage to staterooms?

Cell phones would not be a problem if everyone used them quietly and discretely like Sea Island Lady. IMHO, the inconsiderate idiots who use them improperly (along with the chair hogs, evening jeans wearers, and drunken loudmouths) are rude. The only thing they understand is a strong dose of rudeness in return... We need to tell them to their faces that their behavior identifies them as low class, socially inept, intellectually challenged individuals. Oh, they will complain that they have a right to do whatever they desire, but I also have a right to peaceful enjoyment of my environment, and their rights are not superior to mine. (People notify the authorities regularly, in neighborhoods across the country, when someone is "disturbing the peace.") Those with more than two brain cells might actually make the connection, and be embarrassed.

We were taught how to behave in pubic by our parents for a reason.

Marsha

"Freedom of speech"??? What a stupid connection...one thing I have always found odd about our neighbours to the south...you can frame any annoyance, twist it around and make it a constitutional right.
Neighbors to the south Danno? Isn't Canada the undeclared U.S. 51st state?

By the way, Cell Phones don't make calls; People make calls on cell phones. You address the rude people using these devices in public areas and they move on. They are RUDE, not brave after all. Problem solved. Besides, Celebrity will jack the price tag up so high they will be used about as often as those credit card phones on the back of airline seats, and when was the last time you saw one of those being used?

Don’t give up cruising Danno. I get an ugly image of you drinking a Molsen Golden Ale watching “Strange Brew” on TV as you wait for the NHL Players strike to end and the 12 day Canadian Fall to come so you can go out to your back yard and spike a tree for some maple syrup. (In your red flannel thermal underwear with the trap door backside of course)

Peace to you my Brother from the Great White North

Danno,

I see where you are coming from. I feel the same way especially about the Caribbean itineraries. I probably will never do another 7 night Caribbean on any line. Fact of it is, since my first Sitmar cruise in 1988 I have not had an equivalent experience.

Once any product starts competing on price it becomes a commodity. One is just like another and they go to the lowest denominator. So the only thing that these lines can compete on is desired itinerary. That's why unless the itinerary is distinctive, all the experiences are about the same, average to bad. I look to cruise the repositioning voyages or to exotic destinations now.I also look to AI's for a longer more relaxing visit to the Caribeean.

If you want to try something different, take a look at Oceania. I cruised them in Europe and had a pretty good time. Food was excellent, service pretty good, no lines since the ship was small. The size of the ship does limit somethings like the variety of entertainment but if that does not matter to you than it may be something to look at.

The price point is significantly higher than the mainstream lines and you will run into some snobs. But you can have a lot of fun with them by enjoying their supposed importance.

I have NO problem with cell phone use as long as it is confined solely to the INSIDE of the user's cabin. That should allow anyone who wants to speak with their relatives or check in at work ample opportunity to do so.

I personally do not check voice mail, e-mail or contact the office during my vacations. Otherwise, it's not a vacation is it?

I am going on my first cruise ever in January. I am going to take a banana from the fruit bowl and carry it with me where ever I go on the ship. If I encounter someone who is infringing on others' enjoyment of their dining or relaxing by the pool or a quiet sunset stroll, I am going to go right up to them and start talking loudly on my banana phone - blathering on and on in an annoying gratingly-obnoxious voice about my bunions and my eczema and how tight my undergarments are - just so they can see how ridiculous they look to others and how incredibly uninteresting other people's business is.

If this isn't enough to get my point across, I will speak with the closest Celebrity personnel, and continue on up the line until Mr or Ms Loudmouth is no longer permitted to destroy my and fellow cruiser's quiet enjoyment of our vacation.

Way to go Danno. If people need a phone at sea that bad, whats wrong with a good ole phone booth at sea where you MUST go to use your stupid cell? Someone else had a good point. If you are in the middle of the ocean and find out something that freaks you out, like you poodle has a hang nail or your darling little daughter didn't win the spelling bee, what are you going to be able to do about it. (except worry) You can check on that stuff at any port and if there is a true emergency deal with it then. If your business can't live without you, you need a life and should stay home :rolleyes:

I work as a server at a restraunt and I cant describe how annoying it is to try to do my job and get an order at a table and someone is talking on their cell phone and trying to give me their order. RUDE!. I hate cell phone!

Let me add, since I am complaining about modern technology, I also hate it when business people bring their lap tops, cell phones, and paper work and set up their office at my table and expect me to wait on them while they work.

You dont need a cell phone on a cruise shipor at a restraunt.

Sort of suprised on the attitude on this. Twice we have had very serious business decisions and once a very sick relative happen within two weeks of the cruise.

What do we do? Cancel the cruise (and forfit everything including airfare)? We got by using the internet connection but things would have been a lot simpler with a cell phone connection Not having it didn't ruin our cruises but definitely meant spending more time in the internet cafe than say at the pool.

I must honestly say that Americans as a whole are just confusing to me. Here I was, all this time, thinking how great it was to go on a cruise *BECAUSE* my cell phone DIDN'T work on the ship.

Isn't that half the point? Taking a vacation where YOU have an excuse NOT to be reachable through no fault of your own?

Geez. Now I won't even be able to get on the ship without being bothered probably.

:-(

Ok, Next solution is no smokers and no cell phones on board on one of Celebrity's ships. Brilliant idea we could call it "The Paradise". Been done before? It was a smashing success wasn't it? But all those that want a premium experience would be glad to provide the extra revenue that it would take to make it profitable. Don't you think?

Dano: Chill out whats the difference with someone talking on a cell phone then a drunk loud mouth or a rude yerk smokeing in a non smokeing area of the ship. Talking loud or holding a conversation on a cell phone or in person is all the same there is nothing worse then smokers they think they own every inch of space thier breath stinks there clothes stink there cars stink there teeth are yellow and most end up with cancer or a very anoying cough.

Dano: Chill out whats the difference with someone talking on a cell phone then a drunk loud mouth or a rude yerk smokeing in a non smokeing area of the ship. Talking loud or holding a conversation on a cell phone or in person is all the same there is nothing worse then smokers they think they own every inch of space thier breath stinks there clothes stink there cars stink there teeth are yellow and most end up with cancer or a very anoying cough.

I'm going to read this again...but I'm not sure how the presence of other problems makes cell phones a good idea...:confused:

What a debate. Cell phones are a fact of life. It all comes down to the individual person. There will always be the same idiots who are rude with cellphones, i.e. in restaurants, public places, talking loudly. these are the same jerks who go through life only thinking of themselves, the same ones who cut in lines at the cash registers, drive aggressively, etc.

If they (the line(s)) feel compelled to offer this service it should be restricted to staterooms, no exceptions. Not sure how to enforce this though.

I agree, I hate cell phones. (of course during an emergency I have been very glad I had one) A cell phone cafe might work. All Cells could be set on silent and then person who receives messages could go to their cabin or cell cafe to return calls or receive messages. Rude behavior is rude behavior!! Have you ever noticed that the same ones who use their cells in restaurants are the ones that hang up and then tell their table mate and everyone in restaurant (They are sooo loud) what the call was about.

I wonder who raised these people??

Neighbors to the south Danno? Isn't Canada the undeclared U.S. 51st state?

By the way, Cell Phones don't make calls; People make calls on cell phones. You address the rude people using these devices in public areas and they move on. They are RUDE, not brave after all. Problem solved. Besides, Celebrity will jack the price tag up so high they will be used about as often as those credit card phones on the back of airline seats, and when was the last time you saw one of those being used?

Don’t give up cruising Danno. I get an ugly image of you drinking a Molsen Golden Ale watching “Strange Brew” on TV as you wait for the NHL Players strike to end and the 12 day Canadian Fall to come so you can go out to your back yard and spike a tree for some maple syrup. (In your red flannel thermal underwear with the trap door backside of course)

Peace to you my Brother from the Great White North

My opinion of cell phone usage on cruise ships seems to be the same as the majority here. However......my reason for posting is that, being a born and bred Canadian, I just HAVE to correct the above statement. Our revered brewer is Molson, not Molsen and Golden is a lager, not an ale. And maple trees are tapped in the spring, actually it can be anytime between February and April but primarily spring! Sorry, I couldn't let that go!

Archived