Where to go for whales?

pnccruisers

We'll be cruising out of Seattle the first week of June with stops in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria. Where is the best place to take a whale watching tour? Our daughter would love to see Orcas if possible.

Thanks!

I am going out with Captain Louis Jeurgens on "The Kaytos" on May 19th n Juneau. I'll post on this thread what it was like and whether it was worth the $150.00 pp price.....I've done it before in Seattle and Juneau and the Juneau experience is much better.

We'll be cruising out of Seattle the first week of June with stops in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria. Where is the best place to take a whale watching tour? Our daughter would love to see Orcas if possible.

Thanks!

If you are looking for orcas rather than humpbacks, then you will probably not see any in Juneau, Ketchikan or Skagway. The best place for orcas is Johnstone Strait (Northeast corner of Vancouver Island) or in the waters off of Victoria.

However, if you are interested in humpback whales, then Juneau would be your best bet (go with either Harv & Marv or Orca Enterprises). Actually, Icy Strait Point is the BEST place to see humpbacks (at Pt Adolphus).

If you want to see orcas, and a PRIORITY, then you need to park yourself on Vancouver Island for several days and invest in several boat tours. Otherwise, don't count on seeing any.

If you are looking for a tour, from your cruiseship, you only option is Victoria. BUT many times the ship tours are shorter, then the regular tours, which means only one thing- less sightings.

BQ is right! Victoria is the place to see Orca's. We even took a Princess tour that took us whale-watching. Saw lots of orcas and even minke whales. This was a good day! (of course, any day you see whales is a good day!) When you are in Juneau, take Orca Enterprise and see lots of humpbacks. This was a fast boat and good amount of people - this makes viewing lots more enjoyable.

There are approximately 85 Orcas in the 3 resident pods that move around in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and adjacent waters. You have a reasonable chance of seeing some....but there are no guarantees. The tour operators know where the various pods are at any time and if they can get you to them they will.

Dont really know one whale from another so I guess it dont really matter to me which whale is which, but which is the most exciting to see. We are leaning to a whale watching in Juneau but would consider Victoria if the orcas are that much more worth seeing.

Dont really know one whale from another so I guess it dont really matter to me which whale is which, but which is the most exciting to see. We are leaning to a whale watching in Juneau but would consider Victoria if the orcas are that much more worth seeing.

Read up on the behaviors of each. Overall humpbacks have more "variety" of behaviors, but a single trip, has a very low chance of them.

There are approximately 85 Orcas in the 3 resident pods that move around in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and adjacent waters. You have a reasonable chance of seeing some....but there are no guarantees. The tour operators know where the various pods are at any time and if they can get you to them they will.

However, tour operators will NOT tell you you won't see any, if you are booked. They will dance around a direct answer. These whales (dolphins) have a range of 500 miles, so "reasonable" chance, is only if they are within range.

However, tour operators will NOT tell you you won't see any, if you are booked. They will dance around a direct answer. These whales (dolphins) have a range of 500 miles, so "reasonable" chance, is only if they are within range.

As I said before when you are dealing with mother nature there are no guarantees. However the Orcas certainly know when I am out fishing...the find me and scare away the salmon. ;)

• 3 years later...
I am going out with Captain Louis Jeurgens on "The Kaytos" on May 19th n Juneau. I'll post on this thread what it was like and whether it was worth the $150.00 pp price.....I've done it before in Seattle and Juneau and the Juneau experience is much better.

So, where is the promised review? I'm dying to know! :) How was it? My family and I are considering booking his boat this August for a whale watch.

Archived