favorite reading on a cruise

Hello Virgiancruiser, I'm not sure if your married of not, but my wife & I like taking two of the same books! (usually a marriage enhancement book) and then we talk about it all week, plus it helps us become a better spouse, hopefully? LOL ! We read "Sheet Music" by Dr. kevin Leman. And we're not talking about playing musical instruments!:D

My kids gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I and love it - have been stockpiling books on it for Alaska on the Amsterdam on 5/16. I love sitting on my balcony watching the world go by with a great book. Apparently right now the "Whispernet", which is the method by which you download books to your Kindle, doesn't work outside the Continental US but you can read on your Kindle anywhere. Just download enough books to last through your vacation before you go (and don't forget your charging cord!!!).

If you haven't already found them, there are some freebies on Amazon for the Kindle. And lots of classics out there that are also free (like Pride and Predjudice and that sort that are now out of copyright. Alice in Wonderland, all the OZ books, etc).

And I don't know if you've tried this or not, but with the wireless turned off the battery is INCREDIBLE. While I will be sure and take the cord, I'm on my 3rd week on the same charge with about 1/3 left in it. That's really great in my opinion! Of course, I'm still reading a lot of "tree books", so it's not being used as much as if it were my sole reading material.

As for book recommendations: I really like the author Jasper Fforde and think his books would make a great cruise read - both his Thursday Next and Nursery Rhyme Division ones are great. I actually am running my own book blog and don't know if I can list it here or not, but I have quick reviews on all the books I've read since Jan 1. I'm tracking to see how long it takes me to read 1 million pages. It's going to be a LOOOOOOONG time! LOL!

Anyway, those are some of the ones I really like. There's also a lot of sci-fi type stuff on my blog since I like those too.

If it's okay to post it, then I will if anyone is interested. Nope, doesn't make me money, just something to keep me honest with my tracking and my friends read it. :)

As for book recommendations: I really like the author Jasper Fforde and think his books would make a great cruise read - both his Thursday Next and Nursery Rhyme Division ones are great. I actually am running my own book blog and don't know if I can list it here or not, but I have quick reviews on all the books I've read since Jan 1. I'm tracking to see how long it takes me to read 1 million pages. It's going to be a LOOOOOOONG time! LOL!

Anyway, those are some of the ones I really like. There's also a lot of sci-fi type stuff on my blog since I like those too.

If it's okay to post it, then I will if anyone is interested. Nope, doesn't make me money, just something to keep me honest with my tracking and my friends read it. :)

I can second the Jasper Fforde recommendation.

Are you familiar with Shelfari? It's a great social networking site for readers where you can keep an online shelf with reviews and dates when you read the books. There are thousands of groups dedicated to all kinds of topics, and many people on shelfari also keep blogs of their reading. You should check it out if you're interested.

Love this thread-always looking for new authors. In addition to most of the authors posted above, also love:

Harlan Coben (anything but especially his Myron Bolitar books)

Nora Roberts/JD Robb (same person)

Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle (same person)

Jennifer Cruise (chick lit)

Jodi Picoult

If you want a big book (so you don't have to take as many!) try Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and World without End

Just finished Hunger Games which is young adult but it was very good.

Thanks for the list-heading to library website right now!

Hello Virgiancruiser, I'm not sure if your married of not, but my wife & I like taking two of the same books! (usually a marriage enhancement book) and then we talk about it all week, plus it helps us become a better spouse, hopefully? LOL ! We read "Sheet Music" by Dr. kevin Leman. And we're not talking about playing musical instruments!:D

That's a great idea! Maybe I can convince DH to do this next time. Thanks for the idea!

As a historian I am always reading non fiction at home. On a cruise I will read anything that does not have a quiz at the end or cause me to take notes! I consider a cruise to be successful and relaxing if I can get through three novels in the week. I usually pick up books from the local book swap at home and leave them in the ship's library for others to enjoy when I am finished. It leaves more room in the luggage for the wife to return home with useless brick a brac!

I love mysteries, but nothing too gory, so Margaret Truman or Dick Francis are at the top of my list.

For my next cruise, I would love to read something set in the Caribbean or Florida for obvious reasons. Any suggestions?

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen I really liked this one. It starts out on a cruiseship. the New York Times said "A screwball delight full of bright, deft, beautifully honed humor.. pure reading pleasure. I agree

• 5 weeks later...
The menu. ;)

That's great!

I like to people watch also so I usually have at least 1 or 2 books on my ipod depending on the length of the cruise. I just finished Cruise Confidential and am bringing What Time is the Midnight Buffet with me this weekend on the Triumph. I don't know how much I'll get thru since it's not audio and I will actually have to look away from people watching.

I always bring books, but never seem to read them...I'm busy "people-watching" and talking to my "neighbors" at the pool! Once in awhile, I'll finish a chapter, but it's not often that happens! I don't bring anything that requires too much concentration, because I KNOW that I'll be doing other things!!! (Talking--did I mention that???)

Have to agree with that. I've taken books and never got to them. I will take 'em again, but they will be a collection of short stories. Probably re-reads of my favorite author, Gabriel Garcia-*****.

Archived