favorite reading on a cruise

I always bring books, but never seem to read them...I'm busy "people-watching" and talking to my "neighbors" at the pool! Once in awhile, I'll finish a chapter, but it's not often that happens!

CB, I'm the same way, and I'm a librarian! :eek: It's very odd for me not to feel like reading, but on both cruises I've done so far, I wasn't able to sit and read for very long. I would get distracted and people-watch or just watch the water... mmmm - can't wait for the next one coming up!!!!

I don't read on board, I LISTEN to books while watching the Sea. What depends on what is out at the time usually or sometimes old favorites.

ooooh - I like this idea! :) I've never "read" an audio book, but I've recently been thinking of trying one. Maybe my next cruise would be a good time to try.

The passage between the seas by David McCullough. I read this on our way to the Panama Canal and it was fantastic. I enjoy reading spiritual books because I find that being out on the seas reminds you of Gods great creations.

Anything by Clive Cussler or Carl Hiaasen, especially "Skinny Dip". It is about a guy who tries to kill his wife by throwing her off of a cruise ship. Very funny!

I read Skinny Dip on our last cruise! It was my first Hiaasen book and it got me hooked on him. Loved it!!

I love the series by Brad Thor (start with Lions of Lucerne) and also by Lee Child. Both authors have exciting, but VERY different heroes.

Michmike, based on your list I think you would enjoy these authors.

Thanks. I never heard of this author. I think I'm going on line now to look for some of her books.

:cool:

If you decide to give one of her books a try, hope you enjoy it :).

The book we read has me wanting, even more, to go to the Mediterranian.

This isn't cruise-specific, but my current favorite is the Outlander series by Diana Gab-something. It's historical fiction with some romance thrown in. VERY addictive! Currently there are six in the series, and a seventh comes out this fall.

I enjoyed this first book. I'm not sure it's the best for a cruise if what you're looking for is quick, light reading :) They are all pretty massive books and would be heavy to lug around pool side. If you have a Kindle or Sony Reader, then it wouldn't be a problem.

I really love Evanovich's Plum series. I think it would make great cruise reading. Some others that I've really enjoyed that are easy reads are The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, The Haunted Bookshop Mysteries by Alice Kimberly, anything by Jen Lancaster (she's just hilarious, and mostly chick lit).

I find that short stories are good on vacation as well. They don't require too much time. You can read a story at a time and not have to worry about picking up the story where you left off.

I've read the first two of a series of murder mysteries at sea by Conrad Allen - Murder on the Lusitania and Murder on the Mauritania. I'm trying to collect the entire series, but they're very hard to find. I've got all of them except the ones for Caronia and the Marmora. I save them just to read on cruises.

My kids gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I and love it - have been stockpiling books on it for Alaska on the Amsterdam on 5/16. I love sitting on my balcony watching the world go by with a great book. Apparently right now the "Whispernet", which is the method by which you download books to your Kindle, doesn't work outside the Continental US but you can read on your Kindle anywhere. Just download enough books to last through your vacation before you go (and don't forget your charging cord!!!).

This isn't cruise-specific, but my current favorite is the Outlander series by Diana Gab-something. It's historical fiction with some romance thrown in. VERY addictive! Currently there are six in the series, and a seventh comes out this fall.

A related question: I hope-hope-hope to get an Amazon Kindle for my upcoming birthday. I've sure hinted enough! I've heard that they don't work in some remote spots out west. Will they work onboard the ship?

I really enjoyed Gabaldon's Outlander series. Have you done a British Isles cruise yet?

I was thrilled when we made an unexpected stop at a church yard in Scotland and I found Frasers and MacKenzie's buried there. That series definitely sparked my interest in Scottish history.

I loved Janet Evanavich as well......If you like her, you'll like:

Candy Calvert (Hers do take place on cruise ships),

Gemma Halliday (High Heel Series)

Anne George (Southern Sistas Series)

Donna Andrews

Laura Levine (Jaine Austen Series)

Ellen Byerrum (Crime of Fashion Series)

Jesse Laurie (Murder by the Month Series)

Nancy Martin (Blackbird Sisters Series)

Carl Hiassin's Skinny Dip

All light, fun, laugh-out-loud mysteries.

Enjoy!

Can't believe I left Lee Child off my list. Have read every one of his books and love them. Don't think I've read Brad Thor but headed to the library this weekend so will have to pick up one of his. I see in USA Today that Baldacci has a new book out so will have to get that on reserve as well.

Currently reading the latest John Sanford. Good as always.

You probably already know that Lee Child has a new book coming out in April in the UK and May in the US. I love Reacher!

Just a reminder . . . be sure to read Lions of Lucerne first when starting with Brad Thor. http://www.bradthor.com/

Another one of my favorites is W.E.B Griffin. I especially enjoyed his Marine Corps series starting with The Corps. These are also best read in order.

I hope you enjoy these!

I'm so excited to see there's a new book in the Outlander series coming out!! I love that series!!

Other than that one romantic series, I generally like mysteries...anything by Jonathan Kellerman is great. Also Richard North Patterson, and the alphabet ones (A is for Alibi etc...I can't remember the author's name off the top of my head.).

I bring a book about the place I'm cruising: sometimes it is non-fiction like I read "A Brief History of the Caribbean" this past March on our southern caribbean cruise. Sometimes it's a fiction by a local author. Sometimes it's fiction based in the area. This quirky thing also follows through on our land based trips. cruise on! dlz

Also Richard North Patterson, and the alphabet ones (A is for Alibi etc...I can't remember the author's name off the top of my head.).

Those are by Sue Grafton (Kinsley Millhone Mysteries) Those are good too!

Archived