Scavi Tour question

I read on CC that a reservation can be made for the Scavi Tours online. I went to their website, requested a reservation for May 16th but have not heard back from them. Does it take a while for them to reply? Also, if there is no room on the day that I requested do they send an email telling me this or do they just not bother to respond?

Yes, it some times takes a while to hear back from them. I did not hear from them for about 3 months after I requested it. Then, I got an email stating the day and time. The day was 1 day different than I requested, plus time was different too. We were able to switch some tours around and go on the Scavi tour. It was fantastic.

Hope you get to go.

Enjoy

Cheryl

I also requested May 15 about a month or 6 weeks ago. I didn't hear anything from them, except an acknowledgement of receipt of my request. So about 2 weeks ago I sent a 2nd request saying the same things as the first. I got an almost immediate acceptance after that - probably within just a couple of days. You then had 7 days to respond and pay with your credit card. I did that within the time, and received a receipt to present at our tour time. So, maybe if you resend it, it will work for you too ! I requested a reservation for 3 and received that fine. Then my son decided to go with us, so I sent an email to them again, and they increased our number to 4. I was really surprised, as I expected them to say our time in English was full. But they said they can add him, and we just pay at the time of the tour. Good luck ! I hope it works for you ! :)

I too am going on the scavi Tour but on May 18. My request was sent back in January and the confirmation was received quickly in about 1 week probably because of the time of year when the request was made. Did you receive an automatic answer from them confirming they received your e-mail? That came first and then a few days later an official e-mail confirmation followed requesting payment.

I also would take the chance and immediately send a 2nd request. What can you lose?

Good luck,

Pat

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Vatican. Although, I have to admit, they have made great strides forward in the last couple of years. It used to be the only way to request a Scavi tour was by fax...

Anyway, others have made good points. Also, be absolutely sure that any return emails from the Vatican aren't being filtered as spam. This apparently happens with some IP more commonly than others, and I suspect it is one reason why some people "never hear" back from the Vatican re: their request.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will send a second email. I did not get a confirmation email. Can one specify a specific time for the tour? I can only go in the afternoon.

Sharon

The advice I got was to give them as much of a time window as you can to maximize your chance of success. Just realize that if you limit your option to one afternoon, you may also limit your chance of actually getting in.

The amount of people on each tour is tiny (can't remember exactly but I think it was either 12 or 15), and there are many people who have tried several times to get the tour without success.

Before we left I sent both fax & letter for the Scavi tour. It was only a few weeks ahead but I figured I had nothing to lose and it was "off" time (March). Never heard anything back. Went to the office when we arrived to see if we could get on a tour, explained what I had done, the gentleman put us on the next tour. I do not think this would have happened in "prime time" but we were so glad we checked. The tour was excellent!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

As suggested, I sent another email requesting a reservation, received an automatic email that my request was pending, and just received a final email today that the tour is full, no room for any more people. I am very disappointed that I was unable to get a reservation, but they explained that they get thousands of requests a day.

I sent at least 5 requests since last April. First I started out with an entire 5 day window... each request the window got smaller and smaller as I had things I needed to plan. I had finally given up. By the way, each time I got their email saying that they received my request. Finally I decided to give it one more try, I only had a one day window.... and a week later they responded and said they had accepted my request.

One thing to remember... You cannot BOOK a Scavi tour in any way. All you can do is REQUEST a tour. Like someone pointed out, give them a big window of opportunity, but don't give them a time that won't work! You will surely get that time. I had been requesting for a year. But, make sure you are specific with your days and times. Also... make sure you follow their directions on their website to a "T".

Good luck!

Archived