Ruby/Emerald suite question

HollDoll

My friend and I are currently booked on a 7-day Caribbean cruise (next winter) on the Emerald, a Vista Suite No. 736. Any input on that suite? However, we are looking at maybe changing to a 10-day Caribbean on the Ruby. If we do, I need to decide between a Vista Suite on the Dolphin Deck or a Penthouse on the Caribe. Can anyone give me any input on which to choose if we change to the 10-day cruise. What is the dif between Vista and Penthouse? Any particular suite better than another? I selected Dolphin and Caribe decks because of what was above and below those decks. Thanks in advance for any help!

There are no Penthouse Suites (PH) on the Caribe deck on either the Ruby or the Emerald Princess. There are Premium Suites (PS) on the Caribe deck at the aft of the ship only.

If you are actually looking at the PH suite those are on the Riviera Deck on these ships. We usually stay in full suites and this was the only time I've been disappointed due to the size of the balcony. We were in a PH Suite on the Emerald Princess last December and the balcony is very shallow. There was barely enough room to walk out there because of all the furniture. We are used to having the PH Suites on the Caribe deck on the Grand Class ships were it is wonderful with a lot of room. Now I love the teak lounge chairs and table, but the balcony is just too small for everything.

I would definitely chose the VS suite for these ships. You get a much bigger balcony that is really more useable. The PS Suites also have deeper balcony's at the aft of the ship too. But truly, I think the VS would be the way to go.

Have a good cruise.

I guess my post was somewhat confusing. I only like the aft suites, so I meant the PS suites on the aft the Caribe deck. Are those larger than the Vista Suites? I just wondering what the difference is. I'm totally sold on aft suites so that's a must. I guess I should have asked which are the best aft suites on the Ruby and/or Emerald. Don't know what the differences are. Thanks again so much!

The cabins are really just about the same for the aft PS or the VS categories. There is some PS suites at the front of the ship also, so make sure you don't book one of those. Really if it were me and I was deciding on these I would go for the VS on the Dolphin deck. The balcony is much larger and you will be on the back corner where you do get some sun. If you look at the deck plans the balcony of the PS suites just isn't very big and why pay more for the same cabin, but smaller balcony? So my advice, is the VS Suite on the Dolphin deck.

We loved the Emerald and are sailing on the Ruby in December. By the time we booked there were no full suites left for the Christmas sailing, and I booked the beginning of January. So back to a mini suite for the cruise, which is fine also.

Glad to have helped. Yes, since there are only 2 vista suites on the Dolphin deck, they do tend to go quickly. There are also 2 on the Emerald deck, but their balcony's aren't quite as deep.

Have a good cruise no matter what you decide.

The cabins are really just about the same for the aft PS or the VS categories. There is some PS suites at the front of the ship also, so make sure you don't book one of those. Really if it were me and I was deciding on these I would go for the VS on the Dolphin deck. The balcony is much larger and you will be on the back corner where you do get some sun. If you look at the deck plans the balcony of the PS suites just isn't very big and why pay more for the same cabin, but smaller balcony? So my advice, is the VS Suite on the Dolphin deck.

We loved the Emerald and are sailing on the Ruby in December. By the time we booked there were no full suites left for the Christmas sailing, and I booked the beginning of January. So back to a mini suite for the cruise, which is fine also.

Actually, the PS suites at the aft (we had A751 on the Crown, which would be identical to Emerald & Ruby) have the same size balcony as the VS suites. The differences between the VS and the PS are: the PS is on a higher deck, the PS has a bit more square footage inside (I had the figures & posted them quite a while back, something like 30 or 50 square feet more in a PS, not a big deal), and the desk area in the PS is a bit larger (due to the extra square footage). But the balcony of a PS aft suite is huge & definitely not smaller than those of a VS aft suite.

If you want photos of the A751 balcony, I'll be happy to send to you.

Here is my post from way-back-when re: suite sizes:

C750 and A750 are both PS category, which is one category higher than D736 at VS category (smaller room & smaller balcony). Note, the C750 balcony has the dreaded "beam" (column). The A750 balcony will NOT be obstructed at all. The overall sizes of the 3 cabins are: C750 (495 sq ft), A750 (531 sq ft), D736 (460 sq ft). The D736 balcony may also have the "beam" concern, but I'm not sure (do a search on that cabin # & you may find info). The price difference is usually $100pp between VS and PS on a 7-day, so you'd have to decide if that factors in for you. I would hands-down choose A750 (we had A751 on Crown, mirror image of A750) if you are concerned about size & having an unobstructed balcony (considering A750 and C750 will be priced the same).

Hope that helps!

-- Renée

The A750 (or A751) PS suite being 531 sq ft is actually 71 sq ft larger (overall, cabin plus balcony) than the D736 (or D737) VS suite at 460 sq ft. The C750 (or C748/749/751) PS suite at 495 sq ft is 35 sq ft larger than the VS.

I really don't think you can go wrong with ANY aft suite, to be honest. But the balconies are huge for all of them, can handle a nice size party if you wish. Our A751 PS balcony was enormous (deep & wide).

Hi John and Renee!

I would go with what they say HollDoll! I've been in an aft PS Suite but it was on the Grand Princess. I just couldn't remember their balcony's exactly. I know about the VS and definitely the PH balcony's on the Emerald, so I wanted to point you in the direction I knew for sure. Glad they could tell you more information so you can make a good choice. I would stay away from the PH suites though only because of that shallow balcony. That was a disappointment, though we had the wonderful cabin.

Hi John and Renee!

I would go with what they say HollDoll! I've been in an aft PS Suite but it was on the Grand Princess. I just couldn't remember their balcony's exactly. I know about the VS and definitely the PH balcony's on the Emerald, so I wanted to point you in the direction I knew for sure. Glad they could tell you more information so you can make a good choice. I would stay away from the PH suites though only because of that shallow balcony. That was a disappointment, though we had the wonderful cabin.

Hey there, Hulagirl! Ironically, there is a new thread going where our favorite :rolleyes::eek: topic is being discussed -- the awful quad balcony cabins on Sea/Sun/Dawn! Check it out: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19160977

The PH would be a big disappointment, between the balcony & the potential for overhead noise in the wee hours. But the VS & PS (aft only, not those awful Lido forward PS!) are all great, mostly a consideration of the extra $ for PS and the deck (lower may be better if prone to motion sickness, or if a corner location is desired, or if avoiding a "beam").

-- Renée

To JRW--I'm now thinking of maybe changing to A750 if available. However, I see it's just below the Terrace Pool. Is there a noise factor in that suite from the pool chairs, etc?

We were on the Crown (in the "mirror image" of this room, since we were starboard and A750 is port side), and it was for Canada/New England -- so there was no pool action (it was also October). I've seen posts by others reporting it was fine, but a few felt there was noise. I honestly didn't worry about it, partly because it's an adults-only pool and can't imagine it being crazy. It's also a small area, so any maintenance would likely be brief I'd imagine. Note, we HAD the same cabin booked on the Crown, to be leaving TODAY (had to cancel a few months ago, long story) and that is an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, and we were not worried about the potential for noise. We actually are booked in A753 (OS) on the Ruby for December, and again, not worried.

I will note that the aft pool "layout" is a bit different on Crown vs. Ruby (or are you still considering the Emerald instead, I can recall offhand how that aft pool area compares with Crown & Ruby). Here is a thread with photos and you can see the differences: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808951

The very first photo shows the stern of the Crown. The Ruby stern is shown in post # 77 (not pretty because it's under construction in the photo). I know I saw a better pic somewhere of the Ruby stern. If I can find it, I'll post back. But I honestly would not worry about noise (and I'm a very light sleeper).

Wow, now I really can't decide. Thanx so much for those pics!! I really like the idea of being on the "corner", so I think if we do the 7-day, we'll keep our Vista Suite. But if we do the 10-day, maybe I'll do the center PS suite. Does anyone know what the square footage is of the suite itself, not counting the balcony? Just wondering cause I took a Regent cruise and I'm trying to compare the sizes. I'm really looking forward to sailing on Princess as I have heard so many good things about it from so many people. And it certainly is less expensive than Regent!!

Wow, now I really can't decide. Thanx so much for those pics!! I really like the idea of being on the "corner", so I think if we do the 7-day, we'll keep our Vista Suite. But if we do the 10-day, maybe I'll do the center PS suite. Does anyone know what the square footage is of the suite itself, not counting the balcony? Just wondering cause I took a Regent cruise and I'm trying to compare the sizes. I'm really looking forward to sailing on Princess as I have heard so many good things about it from so many people. And it certainly is less expensive than Regent!!

The "split" details on square footage are not readily available. I've seen where a few have stated that Princess can provide that if you call & ask. However, I can't verify the accuracy of whether they can or will provide. I'd call them & ask, can't hurt.

Renee: Thanks for the link to the Dawn Princess thread. I posted there about that horrid room. Those cabins really need to be done away with. Hopefully that OP didn't have one booked.

HollDoll: Wanted to write about a cabin under the pool area at the aft of the ship. I really wouldn't worry about it at all concerning noise. We have stayed in the Grand Suite on several of the different ships, and other than the Grand Princess these suites are all at the aft and directly under the pool area. We have never heard any noise from above at the pool. Only time we heard noise was on the Sapphire Princess and they have their island night party back there, but you wouldn't have to worry about that on this ship. So either the corner VS suite will be a good choice and so would the PS suite. You won't go wrong either way. The perks that come with the suites are also really nice. The unlimited internet is one that I've taken advantage of quite a bit when we needed to be in contact about things at home.

The suites are all close in size. The PS does have the desk, like Renee mentioned when you walk in the cabin. These cabins are really spacious and very comfortable.

• 1 month later...
To JRW--I'm now thinking of maybe changing to A750 if available. However, I see it's just below the Terrace Pool. Is there a noise factor in that suite from the pool chairs, etc?

There is a topic somewhere here about A750 on Ruby, and I posted there about the balcony and the Pool, etc.

Hi OP,

We stayed in D736 on Emerald last winter ex-FLL (18FEB09) for a 10-dayer.

It was a nice suite. The only thing we didn't anticipate was the volume of the ships wake... it is like sleeping next to Niagra Falls, but it was white-noise and was not a bother once the balcony doors were closed. There was a beam on the balcony, but I ended up liking it, as I am a redhead, and it provided shade to keep me out of the sun. The beam was a non-issue. Our steward was not the best, despite tipping on the first, middle and penultimate days. However, the place was kept clean and our invitees loved our balcony reception. We took a risk and ordered many more than the 6 complimentary hors d'oeuvres the night before our get-together... Princess delivered with no extra charge! The other amenities that came with a full suite were well worth it. We especially took advantage of the laundry and dry-cleaning services.

I have heard that they now have Skywalkers reserved as a Suite-Guest lounge for a few hours every day. Can anybody confirm this?

I would also highly recommend the Chef's Table and the Ultimate Ship's Tour. We heard that Sabattini's breakfast was wonderful, but we never made it. Also, try out the Thermal Spa, which you get free when staying in a full-suite. Also, be sure to try out the English-Pub on sea days in Explorer's Lounge. We had a few snacks down in the Atrium too... the list goes on and on... plan things so you take it all in!

The planning of being on board such a fantastic cruise should be right up there with planning shore excursions. There is so much to do!

I think next winter, we will only be booking diving excursions, as we have been to most destinations before.

If you have anymore questions, just ask :)

We have booked the same suite again on Crown for next winter.

You will love this suite!

Carl

Thank you for the photo, We booked 751 instead of Riveria deck as the balcony is not very deep. I would go aft. OS suites and 750 were already booked for our cruise. I also read on anoither CC post that you can hear the movie if you are on your balcony. Good luck.

Archived