Questions on Group Cruising

canjay95

We are trying to get several couples to go on a cruise with us in January to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. I'm going to be the planner for everyone. We have 5 couples who are pretty definite and 3 who are maybes depending on whether or not they get pregnant between now and then. I've called and inquired about group cruising and was told if I booked 8 cabins, the deposits would be $25.00 per person. I should have asked and didn't, but are those deposits refundable? Also, we don't want early saver due to the non-refundable deposits, so if we book now and the price goes down, do we get the price break or not since we're a group? I like the early saver price, but it's just not an option because of the deposits. Can I book the 8 cabins myself all under my name just so we can have them close together and give up the ones I won't need closer to cruising time? I just need some help with some of this if anyone knows some info.... I would greatly appreciate it.

On the CC cruises that had the $25 deposit, it was non refundable. Group prices can often be a little more than early saver, so just be aware that some folks may not want to sign up with the group rate once they find out they can book cheaper on their own. I think the early saver rate has squashed some groups.

I don't think Carnival will allow you to book a block of cabins with one name either. They usually require all names & bitrh dates when booking.

If you link the bookings, they usually try to keep the group together or close by.

Normally when you are trying to book a small group (not a CC group) they will block off 8 cabins (or more if u need them) for 30 days. You then have 30 days from the time you put in the request to put down the deposit. I have never heard of a small group deposit being $25. That's ususally only for the CC groups, but I could be wrong.

And I BELIEVE (again don't take my word on this) that Carnival is only doing price adjustments on the Early Saver Rate and none of the other rates (Fun Select, group rate etc.)

I am also working on a possible group cruise. The Carnival group rep that I am working with told me group reservations require the standard deposit rates and non-group ressies, the only difference is you have 30 days to pay the deposit.

Below is a list of questions I emailed to the Carnival group rep, along with her replies:

1. How much is deposit/pp? Depends on the cruise. 3day is $100. 4day is $150. 5day is $200, all per person.

2. When is deposit due? Usually 30 days after we hold the space.

3. When is final payment due (relative to sail date)? 60 days prior to the sail date.

4. What is cancellation/refund policy on group bookings? It usually states 60 days prior to the sailing. We keep the deposit. About 30 days prior we keep 50%. 7 days prior we keep 100%

5. Do all the cabins without the group have to be the same category? No

6. Can individuals within the group call you or Carnival directly with deposit/payment info, or would I have to collect that info? Individual can call us.

7. What are the benefits of booking as a group, or just doing it through a regular PVP as individual bookings? The benefit of booking a group is that you get up to 30 days to pay your deposit instead of 24 hours is you book individually. You get to have your table close to each other if you all have the same dinning time. You get free meeting space if it's available. You get to sail for free on the cruise rate, minus fees and taxes, as long as you have at least 8 cabins. You get amenities i.e onboard credit for each cabin. etc.

8. If we book “guarantee” cabins, will we still be able to get cabins located near each other? No, for us guarantee means, you are allowing us to assigned your cabin for you at a later date and we GUARANTEE you the deck you purchase or higher. Not everyone will need to be near the group, but there may be people with kids that need two cabins next to each other. Parents with minors traveling we have to do cabin assignments.

9. Would it be possible to prearrange a time/place to meet with a photographer for group photos? Who would I contact regarding that? Yes, you can and once there is a booking with confirmation number we would provide you with the phone number and ext of the ship coordinator.

10. If after we book the fares for that sailing drop, will price adjustments be made for our bookings? As long as you let us know, yes, we'll adjust it as long is it's before final payment date which is usually 60 days prior to the sailing.

11. Does Carnival have any brochures or fact sheets with information on group bookings? If so, can you send to me please? We don't have them in the office anymore. Please go to www.carnival.com and looked at the bottom where you see request brochure/dvd.

Hope this helps you some.

Lessons I've learned from trying to organize a "Group" cruise.

Just like a small party you may have at your house, the same rules apply to this friendly "group" cruise your putting together. If you invite 8 couples, plan on 4 actually following through.

If you go thru all the trouble to plan this, it can go out the window fast. If only 7 couples actually travel, you lose all "group" amenities.

My experience was that a "group" could not book cabins that sleep 3 or 4 people. So, if some in the group have kids, they'll need 2 cabins or book "outside" of the group as individual bookings.

With the amenities as a "group", price drops that you may or may not see that apply to "individual" books, will MOST LIKELY not apply to the "group".

For us, the deposits were non-refundable when some in our group cancelled.

Just like a small party you may have at your house, the same rules apply to this friendly "group" cruise your putting together. If you invite 8 couples, plan on 4 actually following through.

quote]

This is soo true! when i've tried to plan a group I had a lot of people interested, but not interested enough to put that deposit down.

If you go thru all the trouble to plan this, it can go out the window fast. If only 7 couples actually travel, you lose all "group" amenities.

My experience was that a "group" could not book cabins that sleep 3 or 4 people. So, if some in the group have kids, they'll need 2 cabins or book "outside" of the group as individual bookings.

With the amenities as a "group", price drops that you may or may not see that apply to "individual" books, will MOST LIKELY not apply to the "group".

For us, the deposits were non-refundable when some in our group cancelled.

I'm in the process of planning my 3rd group cruise. First cruise 16 cabins one with 3 in a cabin. Second 14 cabins 1 with 3 in the cabin. True you won't get price drops but our group price was much lower than any price I saw even during the last week before our cruise.

We had a $100.00 per cabin OBC, and were assigned a group coordinator to help us with any needs. As the group organizer we got our balcony cabin for only the taxes and port fees, and the Hotel manager sent Champagne and a fruit basket to our cabin.

It is alot of work, but all our friends had wonderful cruises, and have asked to be included in any future cruises.

Archived