Review: Liberty of the Seas April 4-11 Western

First a little history about us: This cruise was mine and my husbands second cruise. Our first was

on the Radiance in November 2007 for our honeymoon. This cruise we took my 19 and 18 year old

daughters, 14 and 12 year old sons, and our 2 year old grandson. We had 3 rooms booked. My husband

and I had an E-1 Balcony on deck 8 and the kids shared 2 connecting promenade rooms across the hall

from our room.

We started out by flying into Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday April 1st. We had a 6am flight so trying to get

all five kids up and to the airport by 4:30am was a real treat but we had stayed in a hotel 2 miles away from the

airport so it wasn't too bad. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale right about noon and quickly retrieved our bags. (as quickly

as you can with 5 kids and 8 suitcases!) We hopped on a shuttle and arrived at the Avis rental car counter

shortly after. The line was pretty long so the kids just had a seat on the floor in the waiting area and my husband

and I waited in line. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the line went. In about a half hour

we had the keys to "our" mini van for the day. We knew it would be tight since there were seven of us

and 8 suitcases but I guess I really wasn't thinking properly when I booked it. After lots and lots of

choice words from my husband all of the luggage was jammed in the van and the kids were all properly seat belted and

off we went. We decided at that point that we would try and find something larger for after our cruise

since we would be driving 6 hours to Jacksonville to spend some time at my sisters house. Just a side note,

we brought along our own car seat for the 2 year old. You can rent them from Avis but I felt safer

having him in his own car seat, plus it worked out well for the plane ride.

The ride to Miami was pretty easy and it took just about 25 minutes. It was almost 2 o'clock

by the time we got to the hotel because of the wait at the car rental place and then trying to fit everything

into the van. We had 2 rooms reserved at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Check in is normally

3pm so we were a little early but one of the rooms was ready so we put all of our luggage into one

room until the other one was ready shortly later. I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. I have

read so many mixed reviews on CC that I didn't really know what to expect. Both rooms were very

clean and the beds were very comfortable. We were up on the top (10th) floor so we didn't have

any problems with street noise. We were only able to get one room with a view of the bay but the

other room was right around the corner and we were still able to see the ships in port, we just had to

look to the side instead of straight ahead.

Here is a picture of the view from the room: (there were no ships in port at that time)

miamiview.jpg

After checking into the room and getting rid of our luggage everyone was hungry so we

decided to walk across the street to the Bayside Marketplace and get something to eat.

There were lots of choices but we decided to go the Hard Rock Cafe since none of the kids have ever

been to a Hard Rock. The food was good and of course we brought home a few souvenir glasses!

We then walked around the outdoor mall for a little bit before heading back to the hotel to get settled and return the rental

car. There is an Avis office a few blocks from the hotel so my husband and I drove the car back and then walked back to the hotel.

While at Avis we inquired about a larger vehicle for after the cruise but since it was spring break there was nothing available.

I checked on the internet (the hotel has free WI-FI) at different car rental agencies but wasn't able to find anything larger than

the mini van so we were stuck with that after the cruise.

On our walk back to the hotel we stopped at the Walgreens and picked up a refill on my sons medication s

since we had forgotten it and also a few snacks and some soda.

Once back at the hotel the kids wanted to swim. The pool area was nice. We ended up meeting a few people that were

going on the Liberty as well. We ran into them a few times on the ship too!

Here is a picture of the pool area at the hotel:

DSC00060.jpg

After swimming we all kind of just relaxed for a little bit in the rooms and then the kids were hungry again

so we headed back to Bayside and had dinner at a little pizza place. The pizza was very good

and we were able to sit outside overlooking the water.

After our pizza we decided to go check out the center area of the mall where they had live music. The bugs were a little bad

but it was really fun to just sit and listen to the music, relaxing, knowing we didn't have to get up in the morning and go

to work! There ended up being live music every night that we were there. It was a nice way to wind down the day.

Here is a picture while sitting listening to the music:

DSC00070.jpg

We were all getting pretty tired at this point since we started our day so early so we headed back to the hotel and went to bed.

I found out the next day my teenage daughters went to the 2nd floor of the hotel and were on the internet for awhile before going

to sleep. The computers and internet were free in that area. My husband and I had our lap top so we could just go online from our room

but since the girls didn't bring their computers they went and found some! I knew they wouldn't be able to stay off of Facebook

for the whole vacation!

Thursday morning we all slept in and then I decided to just run to the McDonalds that is a block behind

the hotel and bring back a quick breakfast. The food was typical McDonalds food but definitely more

expensive than back home. It was $45 for the 7 of us and unfortunately when I got back to the hotel with the food

I noticed we were missing quite a few things. The McDonalds was pretty busy with college kids so I didn't

bother going back to get the rest of the food.

The weather today was in the low 80's so we decided to head to South Beach. We were originally planning

on taking the bus because I had read on CC that the ride to South beach was about $40 from the hotel and the bus was only

$2 a person, but once I talked to the concierge at the hotel he suggested the taxi. It ended up being less than $20 with the tip and only took about

15 minutes.

Here is the view of the ships in port, from the taxi going over the bridge:

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

More to come......

Edited by readytolose

We ended up walking around for a little bit before heading to the beach. The kids and my

husband were interested in finding the Miami Ink studio. They don't actually do the tattoos at that

location anymore but it was still neat to see it.

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

We spent lots of time at the beach. The area we were at had chairs for rent (which I thought were pretty

expensive) at $20 a piece and if you wanted an umbrella that was another $20. We ended up getting 2 chairs and

skipped the umbrella. They had servers walking around so you could order food or drinks if you wanted. We got 2 daiquiris and one soda (all 9 ounce cups) for $35. We decided we would wait to eat until we left the beach!

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

After leaving the beach we ended up going to TGIFridays since the kids were really hungry

and they weren't in the mood to walk around and find something a little more "local".

After that we were ready to go back to the hotel so we started looking for a taxi. After waiting

for quite awhile we decided to give the bus a try. The bus ended up being only $10 ($2 for the 4 adults,

and $1 for the two boys, the 2 year old was free) We probably were on the bus about 20 minutes and

it stopped right in front of the hotel.

After relaxing for a bit we ended up going back to Bayside and had a late dinner at the Cafe American. It was

a nice cuban restaurant with good food. The prices were very reasonable too. We were able to sit outside again along the water.

After dinner we sat and listened to more music and then returned to the hotel for the night.

Friday morning we saw more ships in port when we woke up but nothing could compare to our ship we were

going to see the next morning!

For breakfast we ended up going back to the cuban restaurant from the night before. Breakfast was very inexpensive

and good!

We spent most of the day just relaxing by the pool and also walking around Bayside. My son and I walked

to the Walgreens and CVS just to look around. It isn't a bad walk but we were asked for money one time

and there were a few homeless people along the way. They didn't bother us but I definitely wouldn't let

the kids walk there by themselves.

The hotel has a self serve laundry so we did a few loads of laundry (1.50/load to wash and 1.50/load to dry)

We went to Bubba Gumps for dinner, and then sat and listened to some more music.

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

My husband and I had the Water Massage from one of the shops in the mall. It was $20 for the two of us and we both had

a 15 minute massage. I was a nice way to relax before retiring for the night.

Edited by readytolose

Saturday morning I woke up really early and looked out the window to see a NCL (I think) ship

turning around in the bay. After I saw that I had a really hard time falling back asleep because I was

waiting for our ship. About 5:45 I happened to get up just in time to see the Liberty turning right in

our view.

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

My boys were exhausted and had no clue about the excitement outside!

DSC00083.jpg

We just had a few snacks for breakfast and left the hotel about 10:45 for the port.

There were plenty of taxis out front of the hotel waiting but we ended up taking 2 taxis because there

wasn't one big enough for all of us and I didn't want to wait any longer!

Here is our ship from the taxi as we were going over the bridge:

DSC00086.jpg

I cannot wait for the rest of your review!

My SIL & I are taking my daughter and her friend on The Liberty in August for her sweet 16 birthday. Thank you!! This is the first recent Western review I have read in a long time, I will probably have alot of questions.........:D

So how many days before the cruise you actually arrived to Florida? My aunt is coming to Puerto Rico so I am wondering whether she would want to spend more days in Miami or just come straight the night before.

We got to the port shortly after 11:00 (taxi ride was $10 plus tip) and our luggage was taken quickly and we were off to check

in. (yes, we tipped the porters!)

Since my kids have a different last name from me I made sure to have the complete "trail" of information

proving they were mine. I also had a notarized letter from their dad giving permission to travel.

I was a nervous wreck because I've read so much on CC about people not being able to board because they don't have

the right documents. Once through the metal detectors we were the only people in line so we got to an agent

immediately. I have to tell you though, I was a little disappointed......he didn't ask for any type of proof that

the kids were mine. All I had to show were the kids birth certificates and then my husband and my passports.

We were given our sea pass cards and off to the waiting area we went!

(yes, the 2 year old got a little too much sun in South Beach.

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

We probably waited about 20 minutes before they started boarding but we were on the ship before noon!

DSC00096.jpg

I went directly to the Pursers desk to get duplicate cards so I could get into each of the kids rooms

and also to check out the dect phones. The lady at the desk said the person who handles the dect

phones wasn't there right now so she took my name and room number and put a request for 3 of them.

She told me to stop back in about a half hour.

After walking down the promenade and by the pool area to purchase our soda cards for the kids we went to the windjammer to eat. It was just after 12 o'clock and we had

no problem finding a place to sit.

DSC00098.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

After eating the boys decided they wanted to check out the flowrider. They were doing some demonstrations for a little bit so we watched that and

then went and got our consent forms signed and wrist bands on. The wrist bands stayed on all week and then everyday they

gave you another color coded band to know that you signed in for that day. Honestly I don't know why it is necessary to

get the new colored band each day as long as you have the other band on I would think that would be fine. After we got the consent signed

the boys (including my husband) tried out the flowrider a few times. The line wasn't long at this time but later in the week it was at least a 30 minute wait each time.

Pictures of the flowrider during the demo:

DSC00103.jpg

Edited by readytolose

After the flowrider we decided to go check out our rooms. Both of the promenade rooms had the beds together

so I told the kids we would ask for them to be separated. The girls decided that the room was too small for a

baby crib so they choose to keep the beds together and just let the 2 year old sleep in the middle. I have to say that

although the promenade rooms were perfect for the kids I don't think that I would ever give up my balcony room

for an inside. The balcony room had a lot more space to move around and more storage space.

The promenade room with the beds apart:

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

For some reason I can't find my pictures with the beds together.

Our luggage arrived between 2 and 3 and we were able to unpack before the muster drill. We still hadn't met our room attendant at this time and

we were looking for him because we needed a child's life jacket for the 2 year old. Just as we were walking to go to the drill he appeared and got us the

smaller life jacket. We then asked him to put the beds together which he did that night when he pulled them down for bed.

I was a little disappointed because the kids muster station was different from ours but it was next to

ours so I felt a little better. I just don't know what I would do in a real emergency because I would want to be on the same life boat.

The baby was sleeping in his stroller so they had my daughter go to the end of her stations area so she would be able to get out quickly,

and they also just put the life vest on the stroller instead of waking him up. She didn't ask to do that, they just suggested it.

They had her leave the drill a little early so she would be able to get an elevator.

Muster Drill:

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

Edited by readytolose

Thanks for the great report and pictures!

I noticed in the pic of the promenade room that the bed looks like it is right up against the desk. Is the bed that close so that you can't walk by the foot of the bed to get to either side of the room? This room looks so, so tight!:eek:

After the muster drill I went back to the Pursers desk to re-check on the Dect phones and then

I was told that they didn't have them available for our sailing. I was a little disappointed because

we were really hoping to use them to keep in touch with the kids but it worked out ok. We were just

a little bit more diligent about letting everyone know where we were going to be on the ship.

The sail away party was fun and my daughters and I got on the "cruise in review" dvd while dancing

by the pool. Here are the kids enjoying their first of many virgin daiquiris.

DSC00110.jpg

After the sail away party we went back to the room to get ready for dinner. We had first seating

which is 6pm but the first night it was moved to 6:15. My husband took the boys to the Adventure

Ocean welcome aboard show before dinner but they weren't too interested in it so they didn't stay

very long.

It was time for dinner and we proceeded to the dining room. I had sent a request in prior to our

cruise for a table for just our family because I was worried about how the 2 year old would do

for that long at dinner. I figured if it was just us we would be able to control the pace a little better.

When we got to our table I was a little upset because we were at a table for 8. It turned out

alright because we ended up sitting with a very nice couple from Chicago but honestly if I were them

and I was on a vacation without my children I would not want to be seated with a family of 5 kids.

They returned every night though and we ended up getting along very nicely.

I had to ask for a high chair the first night but after that it was always there before we got there.

They kids showed their soda cards the first night and then every night they had shirley temples delivered

shortly after we were seated. The kids didn't drink a whole lot of soda during the day, but they sure got

their moneys worth each night at dinner.

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

I don't remember what we ordered each night but there was plenty of variety and we never

had a problem (even the kids) finding something that appealed to us. The waiter would bring

a dish of fruit right away for the baby to keep him happy. They also brought his meal when they

brought our appetizers.

After dinner the boys went to the Living room for the meet up for 12-17 year olds. They were thrilled when

I told them they could stay out until 1am as long as they stayed together.

My husband and I and my two daughters went to the family disco and then we took the baby to bed and

the girls went to Karaoke. The Karaoke ended up being a nightly event.

Tomorrow day 2 at sea.......

Edited by readytolose

So how many days before the cruise you actually arrived to Florida? My aunt is coming to Puerto Rico so I am wondering whether she would want to spend more days in Miami or just come straight the night before.

We arrived in Miami Wednesday afternoon and got on the ship on Saturday. Honestly it was a little long. If it had been just my husband and I it probably would have been fine, but trying to entertain the kids for that many days before the cruise was a little hard (and expensive!)

My husband and I laughed because when we go on vacation with just the two of us we normally just eat 2 meals a day. With the kids they wanted their 3 meals, plus snacks! I was so thankful when we got on the ship and I didn't have to pay for another meal for all of us!

We did have a good time but next time I would probably cut it down by a day. (we also spend 4 days in Jacksonville after the cruise so that was a lot of togetherness! LOL)

Thanks for the great report and pictures!

I noticed in the pic of the promenade room that the bed looks like it is right up against the desk. Is the bed that close so that you can't walk by the foot of the bed to get to either side of the room? This room looks so, so tight!:eek:

The bed was VERY close to the desk. You could walk through but it was tight. It was fine for the kids but I wouldn't like it for myself for an entire cruise.

I've seen where several of the other ships have water packages available.. Would you happen to remember seeing it on LOS?

They did have the water package available but since it wasn't something I wasn't interested in I didn't pay much attention to it and I didn't see how much it was.

I'll try and finish the review tomorrow.

I never wanted to be one of those people that draws the review out for days but I guess I just underestimated how much time it would take to write and I need to head to bed!

Us who work the vampire shift will wait till tomorrow nights break :rolleyes: to read the rest of the review!

Also interested in what the teen boys thought about the kids club and activities as well as the girls impressions. My 2 DS are just in between your clan at 15 & 16.

Your grandson is just SO CUTE!! Looking forward to the pics & review!

Jacquelyn :D

I've seen where several of the other ships have water packages available.. Would you happen to remember seeing it on LOS?

Check the promendade on your first or second day. Buy it and they deliver it to the room. Can't remember the price. But, the regular water isn't bad -- try it before you buy the bottles.

Day 2 at sea

We woke all woke up around 9am and decided to head to the windjammer for breakfast.

I know some people prefer the dining room for breakfast but I like to just pick what I want,

eat, and get on with my day. Our waiters from dinner (I forgot to mention earlier their names were

Eric and James) were working in the windjammer every morning of the cruise. The windjammer was pretty crowded every day but the waiters were really

good at finding a table for us to eat at. They were saving tables by putting some juice, or cereal

boxes on the tables. Then when a larger family came in they had those tables available. The first

day I didn't realize that they were the ones saving the tables and I refused to sit at one because I

though they were removing someone else's food. I didn't want to be the one sitting there when they

returned. It became very clear later on that that was how they did it.

The windjammer food was very good and always hot although by the end of the cruise I was starting

to get sick of the same thing every day. There really was no variety from day to day but honestly

there were plenty of options to choose from so you wouldn't have to eat the same thing every day,

it just so happened that I liked to try a little of a bunch of different things so I ended up eating just

about the same thing every day.

Sitting in the back of the windjammer overlooking the wake:

DSC00524-1.jpg

My grandson always got lots of attention from the staff:

DSC00497-1.jpg

After breakfast the boys wanted to try out the flowrider again so after a quick change into

swim suits we all headed to the back of the ship. The lines were pretty long so they didn't get

to try it very many times but they did have fun.

After watching the boys at the flowrider for awhile we decided to take the 2 year old to the

"baby" pool. The area was very small but he had a blast in it. The water is only ankle deep but

he never tried to get out of that area and go by the splash zone. I was really worried that he

wouldn't be happy staying in the little area but we didn't have a problem at all. There was one

little statue that had water spraying down from it so I guess he figured he had his own little splash

zone! As a side note they did have a staff member right next to the pool and any bigger kids were

asked to leave and any kids that were in diapers or swim diapers in the splash zone were told they

could only use the baby area. It was nice that they were monitoring it.

The sign by the baby pool:

DSC00142-1.jpg

DSC00162-1.jpg

DSC00160-1.jpg

The splash zone:

DSC00101-1.jpg

After my grandson was wore out from swimming we went to the windjammer for a quick lunch and then

my daughter took him for a nap. They both slept very well every afternoon. The room was nice and

dark with the curtains closed and there was no noise from the promenade.