Another Man Overboard

Brenda33

This is truly a "I never thought it would happen to me" moment.

I have cruised 9 times and agree that it's impossible to just "fall" overboard. I think of that everytime I hear about this happening

Well, this time that man was a friend of mine.

I read about it on here then I got the call last night. I couldn't believe it.

It's a sad day.

We were on the Pearl and were involved with the search for this person. I have it on good authority that there is video of this person "diving" from a rail on the 9th deck. So he did not "accidentally" fall off the ship. He made a concerted effort to exit the ship. Whether it was alcohol induced or suicide we will never know, unless of course he left a note.

PE

I don't in any way mean disrespect, but...

could this be why smuggling liquor aboard is prohibited?! (not assuming he wasn't drinking 'Carnival alcohol'...)

Going to duck and run now! :D

Not really!!!!! You can get just as drunk on the booze provided for by the ship as you can on what you may have been able to smuggle on board.

We were on the Pearl and were involved with the search for this person. I have it on good authority that there is video of this person "diving" from a rail on the 9th deck. So he did not "accidentally" fall off the ship. He made a concerted effort to exit the ship. Whether it was alcohol induced or suicide we will never know' date=' unless of course he left a note.

PE[/quote']

I heard this from someone else on the boat as well. Very sad none the less.

totally off topic - but is it just me or is it a little weird in the Article the man fell off a NCL ship in the Bahama's and yet they show a pic of the ship in the glaciers in Alaska ......ok maybe it is me but I had to laugh and found it distracting from the seriousness of the article...

Haven't you heard of Global Warming, all the Ice sheets breaking up, obviously there are now large Ice bergs floating around the Bahamas. LOL

I have cruised 9 times and agree that it's impossible to just "fall" overboard. I think of that everytime I hear about this happening

It's a sad day.

I'm very sorry about your friend.

It's a sad day.

I'm very sorry about your friend. Do you know why this happened???

We don't know any details yet. I'm actually on vacation in California right now and don't get back home until tomorrow.

Needless to say, it puts a damper on my trip.

I can imagine, Sox Fan...My condolences to family and friends. This is the saddest part of cruising, but thankfully it doesn't happen that often! :o

DT

It's a sad day.

I am sorry for your loss. It is a reminder to everyone that life is fragile. Although cruise ships are relaxing and fun there is a limit to what our bodies and minds can take. Whether it is drinking, or an argument with a loved one, carelessness or being a daredevil...no one deserves to pay the ultimate price by falling off a ship. It is a sad day for all. God bless him and his family.

O no, I just dont understand how somebody can just fall over those railings. And is very suprising that if they saw him fall in, why they couldnt find him, did they get that far away before turing back to locate him. How horrible this is for him and his family.

So much for the instructions at the muster. If they saw him, did they throw a life preserver?

So much for the instructions at the muster. If they saw him, did they throw a life preserver?

I believe it takes between an half mile and a mile to turn around once they get the message, and of course the sea does not sit still waiting. and it was 3 a.m and dark, on top of that depending on how far up he was and how he hit the water he could have been killed instantly.

Even if he dove in as some reports now say, if you don't know what you are doing a dive from that height can easliy kill you. I used to do 12 meter diving a LONG LONG LONG time ago.

Also instructions at Muster are for what to do if the ship is in trouble and you are told to go to the lifeboats, they do not cover, at any muster I have been at, what to do if someone goes overboard. There are signs on the decks, promenade and so forth saying to throw a life ring and immediately summon help in that order. but that is all that I know of.

Sox Fan Cruiser - so sorry to hear about your friend. It's very sad for everyone when this happens. Not only family & friend but also crew is affected as they wonder what could they have done to prevent this from happening.

If you should see someone fall / jump overboard you should throw a life ring as close to the person as you possibly can. Keep watching the person or the area in which they fell. If someone else is available have them tell a crew member or use the house phone to notify the front desk, otherwise you will have to do it yourself. Keep watching the person / area if at all possible. Try to remember what they were wearing, what happened etc. This will help the search team fix on an area to search and they can chart the currents etc. to narrow the search area.

They do lower the lifeboats and send them out as soon as possible. It does take time to get them into the water and it takes time for the captain to turn the ship around.

There are also instances where someone attempts to jump overboard but they are talked down by the crew. These passengers are kept under house confinement until they are released to officials.

Next time aboard a ship, look aft and see the ship's wake. Now consider the jumper was not wearing a life vest. Do you think many without a life vest will survive the wake? Maybe with a life vest on, but not too many without. The jumper didn't jump in someone's backyard swimming pool.....

Did the ship sail on, or did the ship stop and search?

I can't even begin to imagine what his family are going through. It must also be a trauma to whoever saw it happen - I refuse to believe they carried on with the cruise as if nothing had happened.

This sort of tragedy can happen anywhere . Some people I know had a family member going through a bout of depression and planned a family holiday to help him get out of it.

They were all in one room just prior to going down to dinner when he strolled to the balcony. Some relations were suspicious and quickly walked after him. He just dived off the balcony and they missed him by a few inches.

Another teenager had some party drug or other and went out to cool off. She had the bright idea of sitting on the bastions - she got dizzy and fell off.

As someone said - no one can stop a suicidal person. A drunk person wouldn't just dive off - he might be a dare devil and sit on the railings of course.

Again, my heart grieves for his family and close friends.

I was on the Sky during this cruise and according to other passengers, someone did throw a life preserver in after the man. If this is true, I would guess that he was either incapable of swimming to it or didn't want to swim to it.

I was on the Sky during this cruise and according to other passengers, someone did throw a life preserver in after the man. If this is true, I would guess that he was either incapable of swimming to it or didn't want to swim to it.

This is so sad! This person had to be desperate to do such a thing to his family (not to say himself). For the friend all I can say to you at this time is "sorrow fades...love never does". Remember the happy days! My heart goes out to his family and you.

My source (who stated that they had video of him "diving" in) believes he was probably sucked into the propellers.

PE

Archived