Barcelona HOHO

I understand there are three different Hop On Hop Off companies in Barcelona. Since I was in New York last fall in torrential rains, one companies buses had cover on the upper deck and one didn't. Thankfully, I had booked on the one that did. That being said, is there any big differences between the companies in barcelona? One stand out as being a cut above?

Bob

I understand there are three different Hop On Hop Off companies in Barcelona. Since I was in New York last fall in torrential rains, one companies buses had cover on the upper deck and one didn't. Thankfully, I had booked on the one that did. That being said, is there any big differences between the companies in barcelona? One stand out as being a cut above?

Bob

We were in Barcelona in December 2008. I don't remember how many different HOHO companies there were (I know there was a Red Route and a Blue Route - green which I believe only runs in the Summer to the beach I think) I believe your ticket entitled you to do both. And all the buses as I can recall were open air on top and you could just buy your ticket there and then as you got on. Well worth the money. Have fun Barcelona is a great city.

I thought there was only one company but three routes (red, blue and green) and your ticket allows you to do all three if you wish. We did two and saw everything we wanted to do and then some. Can't remember the price but I know my children received discounts. Open air on the top but it was a beautiful, warm day.

I too only know of one hop on/hop off call the Bus Turista or something like that. It was great. We did the red route one day and the blue route the next. We bought a 2 day ticket which has a discount. Nancy

I think there are two different tourists bus services that stop almost next to each other. One I believe has just the one (or possibly two) routes and bus turistic has 3 or 4. The Bus Turistic DOES NOT have audio information in multiple languages where as the other service provides a guide in each of six languages. I used bus turistic.

As far as I know there is only one HOHO tour bus in Barcelona. We utilized the service last July. We stayed in Barcelona post cruise for five days. We purchased a two day pass for the buss and it was worth every penny! Listen closely to the provided comentary and get off when something interests you. There are so many stops and a lot of the sites of interest away from the tourist traps are dead. We visited a convent on the red route after just happening to hear it announced in the comentary. There was no one around, we pracitly had the place to ourselves. We took each line, red, green and blue.

You will enjoy this method of seeing Barcelona. The upper area gets very busy when closer to the touristy areas, but there is usually always room below. They provide you with the earphones and a map when you board and purchase your ticket.

Enjoy!

Peter

We hated the HOHO bus. In the heat of summer, the top level got extremely hot, with the sun beating down on you and the busses caught in traffic. The lower level was like an oven.At some of the more popular stops and the crossover stops the busses were full and it often took 3 or 4 busses going by before we could get on. We had a 2 day pass and eventually gave up and used taxis between major sites. They are relatively cheap and air conditioned.

We visited Barcelona Nov 2008. There are more than one HOHO companies operating here. The one we used, Bus Turistca, I am not certain but may be run by the City's transportation dept It has two routes (red and blue) all year plus green in the summer. It seemed to be the most popular of the tour operators. But that might also be because it is easier to buy tickets and they have more tops. I don't know - but the others may have advantage depending on when you are there.

Another company is a Hop on hop off Barcelona Bus tour operated by Pullmantur. I think they do not have ticket vendors in the city ( i.e. on-line sales). There may be others as well. I *think* this one though is the other buses that I saw at stops.

As for the Bus Turistica: A 1 day pass is around E20 and two day E26 'ish.

• Double-decker tour buses: discover Barcelona getting on and off the Bus as many times as you like.
  • 3 tourist tours with just 1 ticket, valid for 1 or 2 days.
  • 6 transfer points to combine the 3 tourist tours around Barcelona.
  • 44 bus stops at places of interest.
  • Audioguide system in 10 languages.
  • Bus frequency every 5 to 25 minutes, according to the season.

Note that you can buy your ticket ahead of time for the day you want to start using it at the government run tourist offices (at the airport, 2 in Placa de Catalunya, etc) When you do you will also get a discount coupon book that you can start using right way with things in it that you might want to do separately form the HOHO bus routes.

Do not confuse this HOHO bus with a "Barcelona card" you can also buy that excludes the HOHO bus but includes travel on the subway and the "regular" buses.

We thoroughly enjoyed this HOHO bus service and highly recommend it. In Nov the weather was very comfortable. HOWEVER, as itsjb1 writes, there can be HUGE lineups in the main pickup points at times. HUGE lines. Saturday we got on the first bus every time. Sunday we did not even try until late at night so just used the excellent subway and shoe leather to get around. Don't know if it was so busy because it was Sunday or if a cruise ship or two had arrived but the lines at the pickup point at the foot of La Rambla near the pier snaked around and around.

The "other" HOHO company did not have the same line-ups - always shorter. I do not know how much it costs or if they have as many pickup points. If they do it may be worthwhile checking out the less popular bus. Getting on a less popular bus is a lot better than standing in very line in the heat of the summer when I can only imagine how busy it can get.

I agree that in that heat with the sun beating down, I'd find it pretty miserable too.

Barcelona is a great city - enjoy your trip!

Archived