Heli/glacier excursion - Juneau or Skagway?

LG61

We would love to do a helicopter tour and land on a glacier excursion but I'm concerned about weather conditions and the chances of the excursion being canceled or just not being able to see anything. We are doing the Pearl June 7, 2009. Which port will likely be a better experience? Juneau or Skagway?

Thanks!

Lori

I've heard that heli tours are the most frequently cancelled due to weather, so asked the company about it when I called to book. They said they watch closely, and if it looks like they won't be able to fly at all, they can even contact you at the ship rather than having you spend time driving to the heli-port. I figured just have a good plan B, both places have lots of free hiking trails.

I thought I'd booked a good site for weather averages, but can't find. Did a quick google and found this site, don't know if it might help you at all http://pajk.arh.noaa.gov/info/brochures/summer.pdf

I understand the the trips in Juneau would likely be to Mendenhall Glacier but where would they go to in Skagway and would the experience likely be similar to that of Juneau?

This is NOT true. There are many glaciers in the Juneau ice field that the helicopter tours go to. ONLY TEMSCO goes to Mendenhall.

Well-I have completed my research and thanks to you experts on this board we have decided to book independently with Northstar and do a level 3 trek. Our cruise line, Silversea offers several trips but not this particular one so we will do it on our own.

Can't wait and thanks to you Alaska Cruise experts for your input.

Archived