What is Celebrity Becoming?

SusieV

Just off the Connie.....

Children were not allowed in the T-pool. Signs still state must be over 18, and I saw crew members ask children to leave more than once.

Your firsthand experience at the TPool on Connie makes me say, "whew..." for now (particularly with the Connie TA booked for September and Millenium booked for 2010) - but check out this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=967605 for description of what people are experiencing on other M-Class ships. (After I posted the info about T-Pool signs restricting to over 18, etc., in response to a query asking about where kids can't go...)

I think the main issue for X is that of capacity, once the fifth Solstice ship is in service it will be well over double it's current capacity; X have already announced that Galaxy is going, I wonder how many more they will release before 2012.

As a Princess stalwart I don't think you should worry too much about the introduction of a flexible dining option; just as long as X maintains the standards it currently has in it's traditional DR.

As someone who has only just re-started watching the Celebrity board I am very surprised how much it is dominated by the Solstice brand which currently only has one ship. If this is translated into bookings then a lot of the others are going to be sailing part empty. With the extra capacity and the credit crunch Celebrity may just become the cheapest cruising option.

To be perfectly honest, I am worried about Celebrity's possible introduction of anytime dining. I've tried it, I dislike it, and I book my Princess cruises a very long time in advance so I can avoid getting "stuck" with anytime. But this isn't about me, it's about Celebrity.

I agree with many of your observations, particularly Celebrity's rapid increase of capacity. Celebrity has never had many ships for very long time. They sold off Zenith and Horizon, and sold off Galaxy even more quickly after Solstice's introduction. Celebrity's business model for ships seems to be expand quickly and contract just as quickly. They have never had a large fleet like Princess or HAL. Assuming they don't sell off Century and Mercury, Celebrity will have 11 ships by the time Solstice class is finished. For a line that's never been large, that's a lot of ships! I think there will be some growing pains in staffing as the 5 Solstice ships. I hope Celebrity is thinking about this, too.

I think the Celebrity board is dominated by the Solstice class, and has been for a long time. I thought it would have tapered off by now, but maybe it's a good thing that it hasn't...cruisers are positively responding to these ships.

However, two things to keep in mind. 1. Celebrity has not had a new ship for a very long time - not since 2002. It makes sense that Celebrity cruisers would be extra excited for a brand new class, not to mention the unique amenities (AQ class, more specialty restaurants etc.) on Solstice class. I'm sure it will be renewed again in July with the arrival of Equinox.

2. Everyone always says this, but it's true: CC is a very small percentage of cruisers. Most Celebrity cruisers here have sailed the M-class before and want something new. The Solstice fever on this board is catching: everyone wants to share their thoughts, their review, their pictures of this ship. Even on the Princess board, the bulk of the reviews/live froms come from their newest ships - Emerald, Ruby, etc. Does that mean their other ships are sailing empty? No, but the hype is always around the "next big thing".

I don't think the Solstice class focus is a bad thing - I loved my cruise on her, and she is breathtaking - because I think she represents a new era for Celebrity. There is still hype around the brand, and even those who cruise other lines are interested in Solstice. What Celebrity will represent now is up for debate.

Your firsthand experience at the TPool on Connie makes me say, "whew..." for now (particularly with the Connie TA booked for September and Millenium booked for 2010) - but check out this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=967605 for description of what people are experiencing on other M-Class ships. (After I posted the info about T-Pool signs restricting to over 18, etc., in response to a query asking about where kids can't go...)

The signs just inside the doorways to the Aqua Spa and the T Pool says "children allowed when accompanied by an adult". So on Infinity, the ship we just returned from on April 12, allows kids in that area when they are with an adult.

The signs just inside the doorways to the Aqua Spa and the T Pool says "children allowed when accompanied by an adult". So on Infinity, the ship we just returned from on April 12, allows kids in that area when they are with an adult.

Kitty...what was the outdoor weather like on your trip? I am wondering if the reports we are getting is about a change in policy, to allow children that are accompanied by adults, or if this situation will only happen when the outdoor weather isn't warm enough for children. Also, I suppose this was a spring break/Easter break cruise, and the policy might have been changed to accommodate a greater amount of families. Were there may children on this cruise?

We never cruise in the summer time, or other vacation periods or spring break, so have rarely seen very many children on Celebrity, and those I have seen have always been very well behaved. I have never seen children in the T-pool though.

Interesting, if this is indeed a change in policy.

Unfortunately, it seems that it's the cruise lines themselves that are minimizing the differences. It may be that they perceive that's what the cruising public wants, but it is a shame. It could get to the point that you have to look at the logo on the ship to tell what line you are on. That will be a sad day, indeed.

I think we're already there, and I don't understand it one bit.

:(

As far as the boards representing a tiny percentage of cruisers, that is indeed true. However, since I sail alone, I speak with fellow pax throughout the ship, and can assure you the overall feeling that Celeb has slipped and "traditional cruising" (I think that's a fair and accurate way to describe the experience) is no longer available is quite prevelant indeed. Those I speak to share my disappointment and I have rarely spoken to an EXPERIENCED cruiser in recent years who hasn't felt some "treasured" area of the experience to them has vanished.

I also observe the "hype" over the bloated mega-ships i.e. Solstice Class, Ruby, et. al., seems to be coming from far less experienced, new to the market cruisers who think it's a great "bang for the buck". From that perspective, I understand their point. Better deal than Disneyland. All you can eat (who cares if it's cuisine - just edible), room and board AND shows and destinations. They're not looking for anything more than that.

From the perspective of someone who respected the traditions of cruising, I feel the same way I would if my family stopped celebrating holidays with our time honored, family traditions.

Would I have loved it if the cruise industry was something I could control and have prevented the loss of "tradional cruising"? You bet.

But I can't - the masses with no solid reference point are filling the cabins - and it is what it is.

Veronica, I feel the same way and I had the same experience talking to fellow cruisers.

My previous cruise on Constellation was wonderful ... but bad in comparison to earlier Celebrity cruises.

Last November my comment form wasn't covered just with "excellent" comments for the first time! I never want to harm anybody of the crew, so they usually get the "excellent". The decline in quality is not the service staff's fault. But food and entertainment (activity staff, cruise director, pool parties, theater) didn't deserve the "excellent" any more and they didn't get it.

As we have traveled through the Horizon and Zenith onto the M class (infinity with it's Pod difficulties in Mexico and then more wonderful trips to Ak.) onto the Solstice this past month. I think that what has happened is just Change. For the better or worse depends on where you are in your cruising wants and desires'. Of course you can't compare the first new builds for =X= to the last. Goodness the Zenith would almost fit on the Grass :).

Now I haven't been on Royal Caribbean for some time but it seemed to me that the Solstice was built more for those folks with some sneaky class distinction units to trick the older =X= cruiser's. (eg.Aqua class & blu)

The economics of cruising has changed the dining and my thought there is that although the dining in the MDR was still pretty damn good we are paying in the Specialty restaurants now for what we once got in the MDR.

Just pretty simple economics and change. Need or want to go back to the "Old Days" the options are still there just not on a mainstream cruiseline ship. I haven't been on another line recently but I'm pretty sure the difference in favour of =X= , is still there like it was before for us. Everyone has just changed.

I was wonder just now having reviewed my spiel how come we haven't been on a C class. ?? :)

Celebrity is not what it used to be. I sailed Southern Caribbean in March. The ship was the Summit. The food was mediocre at best. We had some duck that was raw served to us. Service was ok at dinner. Nothing special. I figure that the prices are so cheap for cruises, that they are cutting costs and staff to make their margin. Can't blame them, they have a business to run. All and all we did relax and that is what we went for. The drinks on the deck are so expensive. Wow. They made money off of us. The food was blah.

Archived