US or Canadien dollars?

Chris64

I think she is talking about leaving a 23% tip (at 1cd =1.23usd).

What kind of tip does a typical Canadian give a taxi driver? 15%, if that? 23% seems reasonable to me.

A note on currency converters - that is the bank rate and something individuals normally can't get, unless they are transferring huge amounts of money.

A note on the taxi driver running to exchange currency - It might not be a bad investment to hold onto US dollars.

And I think you miised the points I made in my previous post...he is not getting 23% and he has to spend time in a line up in the bank to exchange your currency. Most cab drivers are living hand to mouth and likely can't afford to hold onto US currency that is as about as high as it has been against the CDN dollar. In fact it was only 18 mos ago that the CDN dollar was higher than the US dollar. Please also remember the US dollar is not legal currency in Canada it is only accepted as a courtesy.

I don't think I missed anything.

What percentage does a typical Canadian tip? $1 or $2 a trip? 15%?

An 8% premium for having to exchange money is not reasonable?

The exchange rate has gone back and forth. This is not the first time the USD was worth more than Canadian, but I think it is likely to stay that way for a while.

The USD is not legal tender in many countries, but is widely accepted. In many countries, it is actually preferred.

Putterdude, you and I (both Canadians) said basically the same thing. Interesting that a person comes to this board supposedly for information and enlightenment, then refuses to be informed and enlightened :D

So for nolaAlive, not sure where you live, but life in Vancouver is expensive and hand-to-mouth for most workers. If a cab driver has to stop taking paying customers to exchange US cash for Canadian cash, how good is that supposed 23% now looking? Gee, $2.30 on a $10 fare, the bank may charge (approx) 5% to convert, and won't pay on 23% --more likely 20%. So now we're at $2.00 MINUS 5% conversion fee = $1.90, and then the cabbie is loosing a paying customer standing in line at the bank. So instead of earning $10 in the 20 mins he's in the bank, he's out that $10.

You can see current Canadian bank buy and sell exchange rates at http://www.tdcommercialbanking.com/tradefinance/rates.jsp - right now the banks sells US$ for $1.2646 and buys US$ for $1.2108

Cab drivers just hold on to the US$ until they have a bunch, then take a shopping trip to Bellingham or exchange it. They don't go to the bank to exchange $10. I drove cab in Vancouver in 1975-76...

I know they don't run to the bank for $10 unless they are an addict or something.

I'll be in Vancouver for less than 12 hours and don't plan on exchanging currency.

I can charge everything, in which case I'll have to pay a 1% foreign transaction fee to my card company, and someone in Canada is going to have to pay the 2-4% processing fee.

Or I can pay with US dollars.

If I charge things (including tips) it will be in Canadian dollars, but there will also be an electronic trail and I assume reported tip income.

If I pay in cash, US or otherwise, it depends on the honesty of the person receiving the money as to if they report it accurately.

So I'll just ask the person I receive service from which they prefer.

30% is not that much more than 23%. So an extra buck should cover it.

Thanks for enlightening me. We'll either use a credit card or get some canadian money. I wasn't thinking about the extra work, time and expense for the taxi driver - just was thinking of the 23% tip.

I am sure that the driver will be happy with US funds. It was just that the op felt that the full exchange accured to the driver and I was attempting to point out that wasn't the case . But it seems that a couple of times a year we get caught in one of these brouhahas over using US currency in Canada and it is to bad.

Cab drivers just hold on to the US$ until they have a bunch, then take a shopping trip to Bellingham or exchange it. They don't go to the bank to exchange $10. .........
Or they can just spend the US$ right in Vancouver the same way that the tourists do. No need for them to exchange it at all unless that is what they prefer to do.

Wow, as an American this is embarassing. Thinking the Almighty Greenback is so superior to other currencies that the recipient will be willing to inconvenience themselves for the rare honor of having some USD's bestowed upon them by us generous Americans. When the reality is the American tourist is too cheap (by their own admission) to exchange a few bucks. And assuming anyone who needs $10 must be an addict!

It really frosts me when people go out of their way to be Ugly Americans. It makes it harder for the rest of us who try hard to experience other people and places by leaving our culture and attitudes at home. :mad:

Thanks Kenish for hitting the nail on the head. We Canadians realize that the vast majority of Americans who travel are not boorish or "ugly"; unfortunately it's the loud mouths who go on rants like this that give the rest of you a bad name. And I will freely admit that there are lots of ugly Canadians, Europeans, Australians out there too - they exist in every country.

Kenish we would welcome you to Canada anytime!

Currently the greenback IS superior to many currencies. That is reality.

Marijuana is all but legal in BC. That is also reality. Some even claim it is BC's largest export to the US.

My goodness, how judgmental some people are. You don't know me. You should be ashamed.

I"m a canuck, and now living in the USA. I was in the Cdn Armed forces for nearly 15 years. In foreign countries, sometimes they gave us our TD $$$ in US dollars as many countries accept it right at the store, too easy. But I have found in many cases,one gets treated a bit better if you use their currency. One is a guest in their country, so i try to do what benefits them. And yes in soem countries, they would much prefer the American $$ over thierss. In this case, it probably isn't ahuge deal. And it isn't that big aof a deal to exchange $$ prior to your trip, or just use your credit card.

I can't wait to get into vancouver in 11 days to have a Tim Hortons coffee, hmm should I pay in Cdn or American $$,lol Play nice kids,lol

Currently the greenback IS superior to many currencies. That is reality.

Marijuana is all but legal in BC. That is also reality. Some even claim it is BC's largest export to the US.

My goodness, how judgmental some people are. You don't know me. You should be ashamed.

So what does marijuana have to do with this thread? Contrary to your post, it isn't legal in Canada.

So what does marijuana have to do with this thread? Contrary to your post, it isn't legal in Canada.

He said that it's "all but legal in BC", which is true - as proven by the rally in downtown Vancouver a couple of days ago. There's a few people here who are clearly in need of a cruise!

Liquor and handguns are legal in California. Guess that makes me an alcoholic gunman by default !:D Sorry to have stirred up the pot, but I couldn't bite my tongue on earlier comments.

We spent several days in Vancouver pre-cruise and had a great time. It was my teen's first visit to Canada and was intrigued with the many small differences from the US. Last summer the two currencies were more or less at parity so the current exchange rate is a pretty big change!

We will be comming to Vancouver on Amtrak. Does anyone have an idea of how much the taxi fare will be from the station to the Surron Place Hotel and then from the hotel to the cruise ship port? we do not waqnt to get too much $C and not spend it.

thanks for any info!

We will be comming to Vancouver on Amtrak. Does anyone have an idea of how much the taxi fare will be from the station to the Surron Place Hotel and then from the hotel to the cruise ship port? we do not waqnt to get too much $C and not spend it.

thanks for any info!

You cab fare from train station to Sutton Place will be about $15 and from hotel to Canada Place about $10 if you are leaving from Ballantyne Pier it will be about $15.

Oh, and don't worry about having to much Canadian currency, just leave any extra in an envelope with my name on it at the hotel's front desk and I will look after it for you until you come back.:D

You cab fare from train station to Sutton Place will be about $15 and from hotel to Canada Place about $10 if you are leaving from Ballantyne Pier it will be about $15.

Oh, and don't worry about having to much Canadian currency, just leave any extra in an envelope with my name on it at the hotel's front desk and I will look after it for you until you come back.:D

What, and then have to stand in line at the bank to exchange it!! no way jose,lol!!

are there any currency exchanges or ATM's at the Vancouver Amtrak station where we could get dollars for cabs to hotel and tips?

Yes there is a private ATM in the Pacific Central Station where Amtrak comes in or across the street there is a branch of the VanCity Credit Union where you could save the high fees charged by a private ATM.

Another piont: We once took a cab in Vancouver where our driver wasobviously from somewhere else(India, Pakastain?) We were on our wayto the railway station and had run our of Canadian money. We tried to pay in U.S $ and he was not farmiliar with them. My husband had to run into the station and exchange them for Canadian. I agree that it is courtious to use the money of the country you are in.:)

Archived