US or Canadien dollars?

Chris64

OK, may be a really dumb question. Flying into Vancouver the day before we cruise, do we need CAD's for the taxi and to go out to dinner that evening or will they accept US dollars there?

While they will accept Canadian dollars, you won't get a good exchange rate. For dinner use your credit card. Stop at an ATM machine and pick up some CDN $ for taxi and incidentals. You are in a different country, with it's own currency.

I'm a Canuck living in the USA (lived in Victoria for 9 yrs while in the navy) USA $$$ are pretty much accepted everywhere, but they exchange rate is poor if you use them at retail stores. You will get a better exchange rates (usually) at exchange kiosks,which many airports have. As well check what your bank is offering and exchange some $$$ prior to travelling. I try to use my USA credit card as little as often, as the exchange rate again isnt that great, and some cards do add on an extra fee, so its nice to contact them and ask if they have such a fee. And sometimes their is a fee if u use your CC to withdraw $$ from an ATM. of course your not talking about big$$$$$$$ so just using American $$ would not be that big of a deal. The change you get back wil most likley be Canadian. Info on the exchange kiosks at YVR http://www.yvr.ca/guide/todo/rps_details.asp?id=10051 even a phone #. One could cal them, and see what todays rate is, then call your bank and compare, will give you an idea oh how they differ. Always nice to get the $$$ before hand, so your not rushed at the airport. Enjoy

Thanks Flames. May exchange at the airport or just pay with US dollars and take the hit. The few dollars I may lose may not be worth the trouble of the exchange. Also, wouldn't be sure how much I may need and since this a one-way cruise, wouldn't have anywhere to spend them on the other side.

If your sailing on the rhapsody on may 8th, you can just give me all your left over cdn $$$,lol

I keep a Cdn bank account open and use customhouse.com to exchange $$$ back and forth! No use for you though, but gives me a better exchange rate when i travel back home to Canada.

And agree, with the little time you have in Vancouver, not worth exchanging to much $$$, and you won't loose out on than much, but in reality, your still ahead because of the exchange rate. Enjoy ur trip

I exchanged about $50 in cash for our 2 day pre cruise visit last summer. That took care of tips, small purchases, etc. For everything else (as the ad says), there was MasterCard. Some cards such as Capital One do not charge a foreign transaction fee and refund MC or Visa's fee. Cap1 also provides a 1% "rewards" rebate so bottom line the CC purchases are 1% better than the exchange rate. I found the card on www.bankrate.com there are others out there with little or no international fees.

CC acceptance in Vancouver was the same as the US; even small transactions could be charged no problem.

As a courtesy to our American visitors most shops, services and restaurants will accept US currency however you will not receive the proper echange which curently is about 20 cents in favour of the US dollar and you will get you change in CDN. You may want to go to a currency exhange at YVR or one of the ATM and get a few CDN dollars but it is up to you. You will also find that US credit cards are also accepted. Enjoy your visit.:)

No questions are dumb. With that being said, you don't have to exchange US to Cdn if you don't mind using a CC for all transactions. Plastic is widely accepted, including for Taxi charges.

Agreed, though I try to withdraw some Canadian currency from an ATM at the airport for expenses. I didn't realize taxis accepted credit cards.

I'm not sure what the taxi fare from the airport to a downtown hotel would be, though.

You can also buy something using your debit card and get cash back (if allowed by the store). Your bank will figure the exchange rate and you will have your cash with no extra fees. Try a large grocery store or a big box store (like Wal-Mart). Should be no problem.

Thanks for the replies all. Decided I'll just get a hundred or so to take care of the taxi and other incidentals. Anything left over may just go for tips to the porters. They make strike it rich or poor, depends on how many "incidentals" we have. We will just charge dinner and any shopping we do and let the CC company take care of the exchange rate.

Our cruise ends at Canada Place, and we are staying for a few days in Vancouver and Victoria. Are there any ATM machines in the Canada Place terminal?

Yes, but you would probably be better off to go to one of the ATM at one of the many banks in the downtown core rather than pay the fees at a private ATM.:)

Do any of the taxis in Vancouver accept credit cards?

I think I found the answer...

"Taxi - Taxis line-up just outside the baggage claim areas. A taxi ride into town will cost about $25-$30 and should take under half an hour. All taxis that serve the airport are required to accept credit cards."

Yes, but you would probably be better off to go to one of the ATM at one of the many banks in the downtown core rather than pay the fees at a private ATM.:)

Just wondering what sort of fees the private ATMs charge? (But that's a good tip.)

What about ATMs at the airport? Are they bank-operated or private?

Thanks.

Just wondering what sort of fees the private ATMs charge? (But that's a good tip.)

What about ATMs at the airport? Are they bank-operated or private?

Thanks.

I just stay away from private ATM's as I know their fees are higher than banks. Yes, there are ATM's at YVR and the last time I looked they were operated by the Royal Bank of Canada. There are also currency exchange kiosks at YVR.

I just stay away from private ATM's as I know their fees are higher than banks. Yes, there are ATM's at YVR and the last time I looked they were operated by the Royal Bank of Canada. There are also currency exchange kiosks at YVR.

Thanks, Putterdude. You're a great resource for those of us planning a trip. (Yes, I've been lurking a lot, and checking your posts on a lot of other threads!)

I checked the currency converter and right now it is about 1.23 for the US dollars. We were thinking that if we just paid the taxi or restaurant in US dollars the amount of the taxi fare or restaurant bill this would include the tip and not expect any change. What do you think???

I checked the currency converter and right now it is about 1.23 for the US dollars. We were thinking that if we just paid the taxi or restaurant in US dollars the amount of the taxi fare or restaurant bill this would include the tip and not expect any change. What do you think???

Personally I think it is bad form, in that you're leaving the "tippee" with the job of converting funds, & paying the bank whatever is charged to convert. Not too sure how the taxi drivers "cash out" at the end of a shift, either. Do they have to pay in Cdn cash whatever their meters say, after deducting credit cards? So what you may feel is a generous tip turns into (after bank fees, time, etc) a not-so-generous tip! But I'm not the "tipping police" :)

The $1.23 rate is likely the buy rate which is less than the sell rate and the reason it wouldn't be very good form to consider the exchange a tip is the cabbie has to take his time, go to the bank, stand in line, then sell the US currency to the bank and pay exchange fees. I noted with interest when President Obama visited Canada recently and went shopping after his meeting with Prime Minister Harper he paid with CDN currency.:)

I think she is talking about leaving a 23% tip (at 1cd =1.23usd).

What kind of tip does a typical Canadian give a taxi driver? 15%, if that? 23% seems reasonable to me.

A note on currency converters - that is the bank rate and something individuals normally can't get, unless they are transferring huge amounts of money.

A note on the taxi driver running to exchange currency - It might not be a bad investment to hold onto US dollars.

Archived