Bay of Fundy gourmet lunch tour

I inadvertantly placed this question on the New England message board so am repeating it here. We are taking the Jewel of the Seas New England, Canada cruise on Oct 3rd and one of the tours offered is a gourmet lunch and wine tasting tour. It sounds like something we would like, however the price seems terribly steep for a lunch !. Has anyone taken this tour or know anything about it ? If so, I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me. Thanks

I inadvertantly placed this question on the New England message board so am repeating it here. We are taking the Jewel of the Seas New England, Canada cruise on Oct 3rd and one of the tours offered is a gourmet lunch and wine tasting tour. It sounds like something we would like, however the price seems terribly steep for a lunch !. Has anyone taken this tour or know anything about it ? If so, I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me. Thanks

Can you give the price and do you know where the lunch is?

The resturant is called the Opera Bistro in Saint Johns and is run by a Margaret and Axel Begner from Germany. (I'm getting this from the tour description). The cost is $103.00 per person which is more than I've ever paid for a lunch for the two of us -gourmet of not !!. They say he is a famous chef and is wife is very knowledgable about wines. For that price I just feel there must be more to the tour although they don't say anything else is included.

The resturant is called the Opera Bistro in Saint Johns and is run by a Margaret and Axel Begner from Germany. (I'm getting this from the tour description). The cost is $103.00 per person which is more than I've ever paid for a lunch for the two of us -gourmet of not !!. They say he is a famous chef and is wife is very knowledgable about wines. For that price I just feel there must be more to the tour although they don't say anything else is included.

Here is a link to their website and regular prices. I ate lunch there once and it was good. I nearly choked when I saw the price the ship was charging. Other than that I won't comment. Just read the menu prices and judge for yourself. The Opera Bistro is within easy walking distance of both cruise docks. It is at 60 Prince William Street.

I will be interested to see Acey's comments.

http://www.operabistro.com/operabistro/558/Lunch-Menu

Here is a link to their website and regular prices. I ate lunch there once and it was good. I nearly choked when I saw the price the ship was charging. Other than that I won't comment. Just read the menu prices and judge for yourself. The Opera Bistro is within easy walking distance of both cruise docks. It is at 60 Prince William Street.

I will be interested to see Acey's comments.

http://www.operabistro.com/operabistro/558/Lunch-Menu

I totally agree sapper1 - the price the ship is charging is outrageous! Comments are bang on! Even if it was $103 for couple - I would say that is outrageous.

Thank you both for the information. When I first looked at this tour and then saw the price, I thought it must be a typo, but no !!. I think the ships people selling this tour ought to wear masks if they intend to rob you like that! In looking at the menu from the resturant itself, the prices are more doable and since you say it's close to the dock, we may try it on our own. Thanks again

I agree the $103 pp price is high but it's not just 'lunch' the tour is offering. Below is how the tour is actually described .....

Bay of Fundy Gourmet Lunch & Wine Tasting - NB16

Approx Duration: 2 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

*Current Price: Starting from

103.00 Adult (USD)

103.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Activity Type: Cuisine Tours | Sightseeing and/or City Tours

Activity Level: Moderate

Restrictions: N/A

Advisements:

This excursion takes you to the Opera Bistro, which was featured on the hit reality television show Opening Soon, and aired on both Food TV, and the Life Network. Originally from Germany, Margret and Axel Begner bring a modern feel to the heritage of this historic building, making a perfect atmosphere to experience the taste of Saint John. If you enjoy scrumptious food, delicious wine, and warm hospitality, this is the excursion for you!

Located by the bountiful Bay of Fundy and minutes from fertile farmlands, Saint John is the place to experience the fine foods for which the Maritimes are renowned. German-trained Master Chef and Pastry Chef Axel has received accolades for the wonderful culinary masterpieces he has created with these fine ingredients. Just for you, Chef Axel has used local products and his European background to present a wonderful 3-course "Bay of Fundy" gourmet lunch experience. As well, various regions in Canada produce award-winning wines, and Margret is well-versed in the language of Canadian wine. She will share her knowledge and enthusiasm with you, as you take part in her unique "blind wine tasting" experience. Each wine that you taste will be the perfect accompaniment to the course of your meal. Can you guess if it's a Chardonnay or a Cabernet Sauvignon?

Your costumed guide will meet you quayside, and walk you through the historic Uptown Saint John to the wonderful Opera Bistro, located only minutes from your ship.

I agree the $103 pp price is high but it's not just 'lunch' the tour is offering. Below is how the tour is actually described .....

103.00 Adult (USD)

103.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Advisements:

This excursion takes you to the Opera Bistro, which was featured on the hit reality television show Opening Soon, and aired on both Food TV, and the Life Network. Originally from Germany, Margret and Axel Begner bring a modern feel to the heritage of this historic building, making a perfect atmosphere to experience the taste of Saint John. If you enjoy scrumptious food, delicious wine, and warm hospitality, this is the excursion for you!

Located by the bountiful Bay of Fundy and minutes from fertile farmlands, Saint John is the place to experience the fine foods for which the Maritimes are renowned. German-trained Master Chef and Pastry Chef Axel has received accolades for the wonderful culinary masterpieces he has created with these fine ingredients. Just for you, Chef Axel has used local products and his European background to present a wonderful 3-course "Bay of Fundy" gourmet lunch experience. As well, various regions in Canada produce award-winning wines, and Margret is well-versed in the language of Canadian wine. She will share her knowledge and enthusiasm with you, as you take part in her unique "blind wine tasting" experience. Each wine that you taste will be the perfect accompaniment to the course of your meal. Can you guess if it's a Chardonnay or a Cabernet Sauvignon?

Your costumed guide will meet you quayside, and walk you through the historic Uptown Saint John to the wonderful Opera Bistro, located only minutes from your ship.

It was interesting to read but I am afraid I have to stand by my original comments. The Opera Bistro is easy enough to find without a costumed guide walking you there.

103.00 Adult (USD)

103.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Advisements:

For half of that price I'll take the day off work, dress up in a costume, show you around the city and take you to Opera Bistro! As much as I admire entrepreunership, I fail to see the value of this excursion. Just being honest....

For half of that price I'll take the day off work, dress up in a costume, show you around the city and take you to Opera Bistro! As much as I admire entrepreunership, I fail to see the value of this excursion. Just being honest....

The Opera Bistro is a great choice for lunch and one of my wife's favorites. Lunch with a glass of wine can be had for under $20

I work at the cruise terminal and I will take a 5 minute break and walk you up myself at no charge. ;) :) I'll forgo the costume. :D

The Opera Bistro is a great choice for lunch and one of my wife's favorites. Lunch with a glass of wine can be had for under $20

I work at the cruise terminal and I will take a 5 minute break and walk you up myself at no charge. ;) :) I'll forgo the costume. :D

None of us has mentioned that the $20 we would spend is in Canadian dollars. The cruiselines bill in American dollars so that $103.00 would be approximately $130.00 Canadian. Just thought of that and it makes it even more amazing to consider what is being charged.

I've never posted in here before, but saw this thread and wanted to reply. I actually took this tour a couple years ago, and while it is expensive, you could not get it for $20 if you walked in yourself. It's a gourmet 3-course meal, with several glasses of wine included. I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 - it was a wine tasting. Plus it's not just a sit down and eat by yourself kind of thing. It's a whole group educational experience.

Anyway, I know I won't convince anyone who feels that $103 is too high, but thought I should say that my husband and I loved this tour, loved the food, and it was much more than you'd get on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm Mario, Margret and Axel's son. How are you all? I frequent this site alot and like you, we have cruised tons of times.

Basically the tour includes 4-5 glasses of wine, and a three course gourmet lunch. We usually sell out this tour to be honest with you and we have a good variety of guests, some young, some more on the..older side. :p But you all sit together in groups and it's just a great way to learn about each other , laugh alot and enjoy great wine. ( Mind you these are very good Canadian wines) .

Im not trying to be an advertisement, sure, 100$ seems like alot. But you get 3 courses and 5 glasses of wine, plus you get a small tour of the city..

Any questions,

Fire away

Mario

Hi everyone,

I'm Mario, Margret and Axel's son. How are you all? I frequent this site alot and like you, we have cruised tons of times.

Basically the tour includes 4-5 glasses of wine, and a three course gourmet lunch. We usually sell out this tour to be honest with you and we have a good variety of guests, some young, some more on the..older side. :p But you all sit together in groups and it's just a great way to learn about each other , laugh alot and enjoy great wine. ( Mind you these are very good Canadian wines) .

Im not trying to be an advertisement, sure, 100$ seems like alot. But you get 3 courses and 5 glasses of wine, plus you get a small tour of the city..

Any questions,

Fire away

Mario

I think the problem really is the profit margin tacked on by the ship. With the exchange rate, this tour is $260 CDN per couple - and I assume a tip is expected also which makes it even higher. I have dined at Opera Bistro - and yes it is very good - your parents made a great addition to the community. Worth $260 - a definate no from me. Clients can walk in and have the same gourmet meal and 4 glasses of wine for $125 /couple. I know some will think I'm very opinionated - but I think people should make an informed decision. I actually recommend the restaurant - just not through the cruise line.

I know, I know.

Just so you know from our prospective, Opera Bistro only makes 39$ from that tour per person, which is very low when you think about it.

We have the tour with Princess,Celeb,Crystal,Cunard and its unfortunate the margin of return we get from the tour.

I know, I know.

Just so you know from our prospective, Opera Bistro only makes 39$ from that tour per person, which is very low when you think about it.

We have the tour with Princess,Celeb,Crystal,Cunard and its unfortunate the margin of return we get from the tour.

We have a FAQ about Saint John on this board - and as you will see Opera Bistro is mentioned as a place people should visit. Also I know other locals on this board that give positive reviews of Opera also. In general I recommend people do their own tours - the mark up by the cruise lines is almost criminal - from what I understand cruise prices are falling due to the economy and they are trying to squeeze money out of people other ways - and excursions is one of the main ones.

I know, I know.

I would think it is your family that sets the $39 per person price and they sell it to the cruise lines who mark it up from there. Yes, the cruise line is making a lot on this, but the restaurant is also getting the marketing done by the cruise line and they are handling the money transaction which is probably saving you money.

Just out of curiosity, when you say Opera Bistro only makes $39 a person is that what you are considering as your profit or is that what you are charging the cruise line? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

The 39 dollars is what Opera Bistro recieves from the 105 dollars. So the cruise line gets the 66 dollars and we get 39$. Not profit, 39$. See, we get offered contracts from different cruise lines. We tried , but those lines do not budge at all. When you think about it, 3 courses and wine..39 dollars isn't much at all. Im not trying to make anyone feel like they are obgliated , just for you people to know the truth about these cruise lines. They want to squeeze every god damn penny out of us small buisnesses. Sure, we get a lot of marketing from the lines, and I guess that somewhat makes up for the lost money but these people are mostly from NY , Boston, Maryland, Rhode Island and these people will most likely never return.

Just trying to get you guys to see our side you know? If you have any questions, please feel free to ask ; I enjoy the interest. My parents really try to help the community in numerous ways so im glad you are all interested.

Archived