What's with the lack of hand sanitizers?

Just got off of AOS and there was a complete absence of hand sanitizers. When I casually asked someone at Guest Relations about this, they told me that they only pull them out when they have a breakout on board. Huh? What about preventing a breakout?!

If they're not going to provide hand sanitizers, then they should at least be serving the food instead of allowing others to handle the serving utensils. I would always wash my hands in the bathroom right next to Windjammer before going to the buffet and I saw many women walk out of a bathroom stall, not wash their hands, and walk right into the restaurant. Gross.

I had brought 2 packs of "Wet Ones" on this cruise with us to use while on the plane, on excursions, etc, but I started bringing them to Windjammer so that we could wipe down right before eating. (Note to self...pack more "Wet Ones" for next time).

Is this a fleet-wide thing now?

The problem with the hand sanitizers is they often do more harm than good. It provides some people with a false sense of security and they opt to use the sanitzer instead of washing with soap and hot water. The hand sanitizers tend to be good at killing bacteria, but not virusses. Furthermore, people tend to not put enough hand sanitizer onto their hands and not rub enough (or long enough) to clean more than a portion of their hands.

I do wish they would have people serve the food rather than have guests serve themself in the buffet area as too many guests do not properly wash their hands prior to handling the tongues.

I do wish they would have people serve the food rather than have guests serve themself in the buffet area as too many guests do not properly wash their hands prior to handling the tongues.

Yuck, I wouldn't want anyone handling my tongue without washing their hands.:eek: (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I agree, the hand sanitizers don't seem to be that effective, better than nothing I suppose, but not great.

Having said that, some peoples complete lack of hygiene never fails to amaze me.

Uh, yes that's gross! On our last cruise on the Serenade there were hand sanitizers everywhere and they enforced their usage, but like you said, they had just had an outbreak on board ship the two weeks prior to us. I did assume they always kept the sanitizers out by the dining areas. However, I always carry my own Purell with me wherever I go. I can't believe people use the washroom, then walk directly into the dining areas without washing up. What's wrong with this people, were they brought up under a rock?:mad: I think this is grounds to kick them off the ship!

We were on Liberty after a breakout and they had all the precautions in place at the beginning but not at the end. I said the same thing. Even if it is not entirely effective it is still nice to know that people are at least partially cleaning their hands before entering the buffet. I can guarantee that 99% of those people would not have otherwise cleaned their hands before entering.

I always carry around a small bottle of hand sanitizer just as a secondary preventative. I too wish they wouldn't let people serve themselves in the buffets, I have seen too many people walk out of the restroom without washing, now I have to touch the utensil they just used:eek: The same goes for the dining room condiments.

Just off Mariner....staff had big tubs of anitbacterial wipes they were passing out before you enter JR, and the WJ. They were also in a few other venues. Just wash with hot soapy water whenever possible and frequently....that's what really counts ;)

What blew my mind was when on the Explorer Nov '08, they were handing out the wipes as you entered the WJ. I could not believe people had the audacity to walk by and refuse a freakin' wipe! It was myself, DH and our 4 young kids and it didn't matter if we just washed our hands, we used the wipes. Not only that, but only DH and I would dish the food out for the kids, and we rewashed our hands (or used my hand sanitizer) after getting all our food. I guess I don't get what the big deal is on using a wipe when ya come in.

What blew my mind was when on the Explorer Nov '08, they were handing out the wipes as you entered the WJ. I could not believe people had the audacity to walk by and refuse a freakin' wipe! It was myself, DH and our 4 young kids and it didn't matter if we just washed our hands, we used the wipes. Not only that, but only DH and I would dish the food out for the kids, and we rewashed our hands (or used my hand sanitizer) after getting all our food. I guess I don't get what the big deal is on using a wipe when ya come in.

Many people who have sensitive skin get a reaction from those wipes. If I just finished washing my hands with soap and water I would likely refuse one too.

Wipes, like hand sanitizers, give a lot of people a false sense of security. If you want to minimize your chances of getting sick than wash your hands with soap/water before eating and avoid eating with your hands (especially in the buffet areas).

I don't see why it's a big deal that the WJ doesn't always have hand sanitizers. Land based buffet style restaurants (or those that have salad bars) don't have them either and nobody ever complains.

On both my cruises I didn't notice the anti-bacterial gel but I did see baskets of the wipes throughour the WJ for people to help themselves.

On the Mariner 2 years ago each eating venue had the antibacterial gels and this was in August when there was no Norovirus. Maybe it is a cost saving measure? Only RCI can tell us for sure. :confused:

On the Mariner 2 years ago each eating venue had the antibacterial gels and this was in August when there was no Norovirus. Maybe it is a cost saving measure? Only RCI can tell us for sure. :confused:

In the last few years the CDC has created new guidelines for norovirus prevention. I know it used to be they had strong language recommending using hand sanitizers to help prevent it, but they no longer do so (at least not without combining it with handwashing).

I know that even when they had the dispensers, the amount of hand sanitizer that they dispersed was much less than the amounts recommended by the CDC and people certainly didn't let it sit on their hands long enough or rub their hands long enough.

I think the real answer is that they should be serving food rather than allowing people who don't wash their hands after coming from the bathroom, or kids who touch food with their hands and then put it back, to touch it all.

While it's true that "land-based" popular buffets don't have these same precautions, I just think that a cruise line should do whatever they can to assist because if you contract norovirus while on board, it's going to put a serious hamper on your expensive vacation. On a related note, I have my own theory that the reason why so many people come down w/ colds & stomach issues at Disney is because of the buffets and the lack of handwashing (but that's a topic for another board).

I don't have a problem w/ no sanitizers in front of the main dining room, Cafe Promenade or Johnny Rockets because people that wash their hands right before eating should have less of an issue. I guess it's not a big deal (I'll just carry my own wipes), but this was the first time I've been on a ship where there was a complete absence of anything (except for when we embarked on the ship and then they had wipes right at the entrance of the ship).

I have sensetive skin and those sanitizers are very harsh. The residue that remains causes dermatitis and pretty quickly my skin starts to crack open around my knuckles. I've gotten several pretty serious infections because the skin on my hands was broken down from the sanitizers. My dermatologist told me to never use them. I was relieved that they werern't out on my recent cruise. Previously, I got dirty looks from crew and passengers for refusing to use them. I'm not saying no one should use them, but for some of us there are good medical reasons not to.

I have sensetive skin and those sanitizers are very harsh. The residue that remains causes dermatitis and pretty quickly my skin starts to crack open around my knuckles. I've gotten several pretty serious infections because the skin on my hands was broken down from the sanitizers. My dermatologist told me to never use them. I'm not saying no one should use them, but for some of us there are good medical reasons not to.

Sam you have my sympathies as I too have problems with the sanitizers, but nowhere to the same extent as you. Anti-bacterial handsoaps sometimes give me the same reaction as they tend to dry out my skin more.

It would be nice if folks would place the serving utensils on a plate in front of the food instead of in the food where the handle is touching the food. I have suggested this and only on one ship did they have it.....hope RC is reading this....it would help!

I have sensetive skin and those sanitizers are very harsh. The residue that remains causes dermatitis and pretty quickly my skin starts to crack open around my knuckles. I've gotten several pretty serious infections because the skin on my hands was broken down from the sanitizers. My dermatologist told me to never use them. I was relieved that they werern't out on my recent cruise. Previously, I got dirty looks from crew and passengers for refusing to use them. I'm not saying no one should use them, but for some of us there are good medical reasons not to.

I too can relate as I suffer severe sensitive skin. My dermatologist told me to use only hot water and soap..... Hand sanitizer are the worse for me.....:(

Royal Caribbean had no reports of Norovirus problems with the CDC in 2008, so they must be doing something right.

The Norovirus is a VIRUS, of course, so the anti-bacterial sanitizers are of little benefit.

The use of sanitizers (or not) has been discussed many times on this board. The hand sanitizers are not that effective for viruses. Handwashing is better. Yes, you are on a cruise ship which is an expensive vacation and you don't want it ruined. Any time you have a group in a close environment the norovirus can do it's work. Schools, hospitals, etc. have been stricken so this is not just a cruise ship problem. My entire family came down with it one Christmas and, trust me, we were sanitizing everything and everyone was continually washing their hands. (and NO, we were not on a cruise ship!)

Jen

UGH!

The hand sanitizers don't stop or prevent Norovirus. Hand sanitizers are antibacterial and Norovirus is.... a virus. And an unenveloped virus at that.

Even the CDC says that the hand sanitizer is useless, they suggest it only in conjunction with hand washing. There is nothing that replaces proper handwashing.

At least the hand sanitizers are just alcohol. At least they aren't the triclosan that is put into everything... that cause PCBs disrupt hormone production and compound antibiotic resistance.

Sorry, no disrespect of the OP, but people go on and on about using hand sanitizers and antibacterial sprays to try to kill a virus. Lysol on their website themselves say... "There are currently no disinfectants listed with an approved efficacy claim against Norovirus." It takes bleach at very strong concentration to kill Norovirus. In other words... other than soap and bleach... nothing works. Spray that can of Lysol all you want, but it's all to no avail... even Lysol knows it.

Personally, I want to see sinks with soap at the entrances of all food service areas. I also want to see the sinks moved out of the bathrooms and into the hallways, so we can see people wash their hands when they walk out of the bathroom. If you want to take Norwalk seriously, then ensuring that people wash their hands and wash them often will go much further to limiting the spread than hand sanitizers, which psychologically make people feel better but do nothing at all.

It would be nice if folks would place the serving utensils on a plate in front of the food instead of in the food where the handle is touching the food. I have suggested this and only on one ship did they have it.....hope RC is reading this....it would help!

I also hate when people scoop up some food then throw the utensils back into the food and the handle is laying right in the middle of the food.

We also watch people serving themselves then sitting down and using the same hand that they used in the serving line picking up their bread or sandwich or pizza and eating it, then they wonder why they are sick all the time.

I also see people washing their hands in the bathroom only to grab the door with their bare hand then walk down to the buffet.

Or watching people grab a roll look at it put it back and grab a different one. To us you touch it, its yours.

Just a few minor annoyances of ours.

I don't understand the obsession with other people using hand sanitizers. I wash my own hands, and act defensively. eg not touching my face, not touching public surfaces, etc.

Next time you are in a public area look around you: tons of people sliding their hands along bannisters, laying their arms on the table, fiddling with the ketchup bottle...yuck. Touching a handrail and then putting your hand in your mouth is like licking someone else's hand. Imagine that.

We were just on vacation and it was very crowded and everyone I saw washed their hands, including food service workers entering an area. I think it is finally sinking in.

Archived