Excursions in Grand Caymen and Ocho Rios

Fridgecois

We have 3 kids ages 3, 7 & 8. We are trying to decide which (if any) excursions we should take in the Grand Caymen's and Ocho Rios. We have looked at the Turtle Farm but the some of the reviews I've seen haven't been that great. Does anyone have some suggestions???

We have 3 kids ages 3, 7 & 8. We are trying to decide which (if any) excursions we should take in the Grand Caymen's and Ocho Rios. We have looked at the Turtle Farm but the some of the reviews I've seen haven't been that great. Does anyone have some suggestions???

I would consider Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman and Duns River Falls in Ocho Rios. The 3 yr old may be a little young for these, but perfect for the rest of the family.

My DD loved Sting Ray City (booked privately, not with cruise line, it also made a snorkling stop where DH stayed on the boat with DD) when she was 3.5, and both she (now 9.5) and DS (4.5) loved a similar excursion (but with no snorkling) in Half Moon Cay last month. But all kids are different...

When we were in GC when DD was 3.5, we also stopped at the Turtle Farm (took public transportation) and she enjoyed it (DH and I were somewhat underwhelmed). We didn't regret going, but it wasn't the only thing we did that day and it didn't cost us much since we took the bus...

We didn't go, but the beach at GC looked really nice, so that's another option.

That is the exact age my kids were when we were on Freedom in those ports.

I can tell you that we did the Butterfly Express tour in Grand Caymen - would NOT recommend it. ;)

If I had to do it all over again, I would do stingray city or go to 7 mile beach in GC.

In Ocho, I would go to the falls. There is a side walking path to take the 3 year old up if you wish.

My DD loved Sting Ray City (booked privately, not with cruise line, it also made a snorkling stop where DH stayed on the boat with DD) when she was 3.5, and both she (now 9.5) and DS (4.5) loved a similar excursion (but with no snorkling) in Half Moon Cay last month. But all kids are different...

Oh good, I wasn't sure if the Sting Ray City was something my 3yo would be able to do. I'm glad to see it worked for you. I think we might try this. I just hope I can convince my 8yo that she won't get stung by the rays.

In Ocho, I would go to the falls. There is a side walking path to take the 3 year old up if you wish.

I think we will try this if we do an excursion at all in Jamaica. This might be our day to enjoy the ship ;).

Thanks for everyone's great advice.

In Grand Cayman, you can have a very reasonably priced tour of the island which will include the turtle farm (we like it) much cheaper than the ship offers. They will then drop you off, if you request, at one of the hotels on 7 mile beach. Enjoy for an hour or two then take a cab back to the dock. We took the submarine adventure in Grand Cayman and I booked online with their website in advance - saved $$$ - but we waited to do this until my son was about 12.

I can't really comment on Jamaica - I had some not very nice experiences there and don't get off the ship anymore. That is where we choose to enjoy the ship's pool, etc. But, Jamaica is also one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

When in GC, we took our then 5yo and 15mo boys on a private tour thru nativeway that did rays, snorking and rum point beach.

I was a bit nervous doing a non ship tour but GC quite frankly isnt all that big of an island where if something did break down I didnt feel we would be stuck in the middle of nowhere and miss the ship.

I liked the private tour because the boat was much smaller and therefore obviously less passengers and more personal attention. The tour guides hopped out and brought up starfish for my oldest to touch and look at.

We as a family got out at the sandbar and even my toddler got to pet the rays a bit.

Rum point beach was smaller, had nice shade and the water was shallow which made it perfect for us.

In Ocho Rios, we ended up at the falls but did not climb them. Our boys were happy just to play in the water and dad took the older one to do a little rock jumping on their own.

Last December I took Asher, my 2 (almost 3 year old) grandson to Mayfield falls with Carolyn Barrett when we went to Jamaica. It was beautiful. We were the only ones there. We walked up the falls. Any time there was a difficult area, the guide would carry Asher.For Grand Cayman, we took a private tour to stingray city with stops for snorkling and then on to starfish beach, where our guide dived for starfish and brought them up for Asher to see.

Archived