First time cruise on FOS

jbrezen

Hi-I will be going on a family cruise for the first time leaving June 28th on Freedom of the Seas. It will be my husband, two sons 11 and 9, daughter 6. Also going is my SIL and her kids son 9 and daughter also 6 plus MIL and FIL. So I have a few questions for the experts!

1-The boys will all be in the same AO group. I noticed a lot of the activites were games, sports, physical stuff. My 11 yr old and nephew are not the type of kids who really like to participate in physical games, more into cerebral or video type activites-will they have to participate in the scheduled activity?

2-At that age are they allowed to sign themselves out of AO (hope not).

3-Was wondering if the 9 year olds and 11 year old should be allowed to have spending privileges, can it be done by day or monitored by day.

4-Do navy sport jackets, button down shirts and ties sound ok for the formal nights and long pants and polos ok for the casual nights?

5-Will they allow my SIL, or inlaws to sign my kids in and out if I give permission.

6-If a child becomes upset, bored, sick or wants to just leave AO, do they have a way of contacting the parent.

Think that's it for now, so excited! Jill

It's up to YOU whether you allow the kids to sign themselves in and out.

Their formal attire sounds fine for kids that age.

I'm sure you can give permission for family to sign out the kids--and yes, they do have ways to contact you.

As far as spending, you can set a cash account with a set amount for each child, if you want to. When it's gone, it's gone! (Good budgeting lesson!!)

Or, just tell them how much they're allowed per day (on your account) if you trust them to listen to you!

The 6 year old won't be anywhere without you, so she won't need her own account---you'll be there to buy whatever you deem fit.

We haven't been on the FOS - yet ....when you register your kids for AO the 9-11 group are able to sign themselves out.....but you have to authorized it on the sign in/out sheet each day. If you don't want them too, just make sure you don't tick that box and they cannot sign themselves out. When you sign in the kids into AO there is a line where you write in who is authorized to pick up the kids.....so make sure you put all names of who can pick up ....and you need to do it each time.

I'm not 100% sure about putting money on their card for spending. I know we always put $20 on our sons card in the arcade for the video games but I do not know if that $20 can be used elsewhere or if it is just video credits.

This past year my 8 year old son wore khakis and a plaid shirt to formal night (and his new running shoes we bought for the cruise)

There are pagers at AO but they are usually only for the younger kids. Not sure if they are available for the older groups. Each night the kids will get their own compass (newsletter) for the following days activities. If it doesn't appeal to them, then don't take them.

Hope that helps!

Let me just warn you so you don't get upset while onboard, they DO encourage the kids to stick with the group activities. They discourage STRONGLY kids who want to play video games in AO all day.

I was on Indy and I watched a mom try to argue with the AO counselor that her son shouldn't have to participate with the rest of the group. The counselor said that everyone must stick together. And the mom signed her son out and left in a huff.

The cell phones (DECT phones) on Freedom are available for the 3-5 year old group...with limited availability to other ages when asked. Basically they say they have enough for the younger kids. Just check back often to see if your child wants to leave. I always check back and my kids wave me off. ;)

I think your other questions were answered. If not, let me know and I will try to answer them.

Archived