Differences between balcony categories?

JennyMominRI

Can anyone give me some basic info on the different balcony categories? I know what a 7A and a 9A are but I have no clue what differences are between the 8's . Is it simply location?I have done a search on this but still really don't know the specifics This would be on the Destiny specifically.

Can anyone give me some basic info on the different balcony categories? I know what a 7A and a 9A are but I have no clue what differences are between the 8's . Is it simply location?I have done a search on this but still really don't know the specifics This would be on the Destiny specifically.

You pretty much have it right, though some of the 8s have extended balconies, which are for the most part about 2 or 3 feet deeper.

That's pretty much what I thought. Is there any advantage to a certain deck? I assume the higher the better?

I've only been on 1 cruise and it was a gift. My sister, an experienced cruiser picked the balcony room .

One thing you want to be careful of is what is above you. Watch out for being directly under a loud lounge, the showroom, anywhere where chairs are moved alot (pool decks), etc., otherwise we like to be near elevators for convenience.

Higher the better isn't always the issue. It's what is directly above you that you want to be the most concerned about. Actually, the lower decks have less motion in rough seas than the higher decks. If you are prone to motion sickness, being as close to the middle of the ship as possible is beneficial.

Pat

You pretty much got it, the only difference between the different category 8's is location, location, location...

• 8A: Upper Deck (Forward and Aft)
  • 8B: Upper Deck (Midship) and Empress Deck (Forward and Aft)
  • 8C: Empress Deck (Midship) and Veranda Deck (Forward and Aft)
  • 8D: Veranda Deck (Midship) and Lido Deck (Front Section/Forward)
  • 8E: Lido Deck (Back Section/Midship)
  • 8F: Spa Deck
  • 8G: Upper, Empress, Veranda (Aft view/extended)

We probably will want midship. My husband doesn't walk well,and on the Spirit we were on the opposite end of the dining room, and a lot of places we liked to go. The walking really bothered him. Thanks for the info on what is midship.

On Conquest ships, I really prefer the Empress deck as it is sandwiched between cabins, so no noises. Also convenient to the promenade and the Lido. We try to get a room by the aft staircase so we can run up to the Lido at midnight and grab a slice of pizza! :D

Just look at the deck plans and decide what location you think works best for you (closer to elevator for your DH), probably on the aft-side of midship so you have the option of the midship or aft elevator banks for ease of getting to the Lido buffet or the aft dining room).

I always pick a cabin deck that is sandwiched between two others, if at all possible. I do NOT want to be under a galley or under a pool area. I also do not want to be over a lounge.

And I normally try for midship because of prior motion sickness issues, but I started taking Ginger Root capsules (many threads on the boards about this) and have had zero problems on my past 3 cruises. I have an all-the-way-forward cabin on Victory next month, so we'll see if I'm truly cured. :o

So, if motion might be an issue, lower and NOT forward would be what you probably want.

Archived