first large family cruise. . . SO nervous

cupcake26

Me and my immediate family have been cruising for a while now. Its our favorite type of vacation, we understand the ins and outs like seasoned cruisers, and LOVE every second we're on the ship. We are 2 in our 50's and 22 and 23 years old.

This next cruise coming up we have invited my boyfriend, his family, and my brothers friend.

I'm excited about the cruise, but nervous as heck. His family has never been outside of the united states, and have asked me several times about how much everything cost. I've tried my best to explain every additional charge that would come up, how much things are going to cost, what they need to wear and pack, etc. But at the end of the day, I just know they are going to complain and blame me for something, or for not knowing about something ahead of time. I see it coming already! On top of that, they have an out of control 13 year old. We are not used to traveling with children to begin with, and dealing with her for a few hours is like dealing with a 4 year old, so im obviously dreading that as well.

I just hope I don't feel like at the end of this cruise, i owe my parents another one for turning their relaxing week into a week of embarrassment and aggravation.:confused:

/rant

How do you all react and deal with situations when you invite new cruisers aboard and/or have undisciplined children in your group?

You should get a cruise brochure from whatever cruiseline you're on sent to them. It outlines EVERYTHING they need to know!

I would allow them to book their own arrangements, excursions, etc (even if you're paying for it!)...and try to agree on a dining time (so you can all get together then), but for the most part, let them do their own thing! You'll find you'll spend PLENTY of time together. If they are in control of their own arrangements, they have no one to blame for anything, except themselves! Tell them you are sending them info to read, so they'll know what to expect. The responsiblity for their vacation then becomes THEIRS!!!!

hmm. good idea.

ill contact the travel agent to get one of those big carnival books with the shore excursions and everything in it and hand it over.

as the days go on im glad i booked all the rooms very spaced apart.

What do you mean by 'out of control? Depending on what escapades she might pull, they could be put off the ship...I expect it is not your place to discuss this with them, but it might be your boyfriend's. EM

Just very immature and bratty for most other 13-14 year old's I know. I have several cousins who are her age and it is like comparing night and day.

She throws temper tantrums, talks back to adults, and just doesn't listen to anything. Its just lack of discipline really, everybody knows at least one of those kids and how they act.

I was always raised to be respectful of others and how to act in situations. I'm just afraid as I have visions of this girl being one of "those kids" on the ship, and I don't want to dissapoint my parents vacation they look forward to, in addition to anyone else's on the ship because of her behavior.

When we travelled as a large family group, we found that we didn't really spend much time together. During the day, everyone did their own thing. Not eveyone got up at the same time for breakfast, so we might see each other in passing, but didn't necessarily eat together. We generally knew where eveyone hung out, so if we wanted to visit we would. Those who wanted to relax got their time, those who wanted to go on excursions with the kids did that. But everyone met for dinner. It was an ideal setup for eveyone. We weren't in each others space constantly and could spend the vacation as we normally would.

we did our first big family cruise last year...myself, dh, my dad, lil brother, aunt, uncle, cousin and her boyfriend.

The only difference was that everyone had been on a handful of cruises before so we knew what to expect.

BUT as far as spending time together and doing things.... I organized the trip. Prior to the trip...I sent everyone a mass email with all times and dates, along with some packing tips. Liks bringing an extension cord for charging everything, little things like that. I then put together a folder for everyone to have in their cabin. Once we got there....I handed it over. I had printed all the 'extra' charges I could think of that might come up, all excursion options. where to look for daily activities, things to be aware of (like charges for soda, room service, laundry, etc.) The best shows I had seen rec'ed on this board...just a lot of information as it was their first time on this particular cruiseline.

After that I left in their hands and while we might run into each other on the boat, like around the pool or the buffet....we never really saw each other until dinner :-P Which was great for me!! I was worried that everyone would want to do EVERYTHING together and well...with a big group that is notoriously LATE for everything, it just doens't work that way :-P so it was fun for everyone to do their own thing and share their day at dinner.

good luck!!! hopefully you are expecting it to be worse than it really will be:-D I do that all the time!

We've sailed a couple of times as a larger extended family group. Although we have signed up for the same excursion (my brother's family joined ours to see stingrays) - we basically met up for dinner each evening and went our own way each day. Occasionally someone would make arrangements to play bingo or see a show together but we never went anywhere on ship or shore as a massive group.

One thing we did like however was a fixed meal dining time so that we'd all meet up once a day. My parents especially enjoyed this part and catching up with all the grandkids excitment of the day.

Relax, enjoy......

We are traveling with a group of 9.

We booked one excursion for the whole group, and tentatively plan on dinner together each evening.

I think you need to worry less and think positively. I bet you boyfriends family will have a great time and may be hooked on cruising. Who knows, maybe the 13 yr old will even behave while you are on the cruise. Hmm, well, maybe you can't have everything, lol!

I really like the idea of not just "explaining everything" to them everything, but actually putting it in writing, like the previous poster mentioned making a folder with the information.

Sounds like you are doing a great job planning. Remember, you can't control anyone else's happiness. Relax and plan for a relaxing vacation for yourself, and let the others worry about themselves!

I am definitely going to take yalls advice on making a folder to hand over with all the information, a packing list etc.

That'll at least put my mind at ease, if they choose not to read it, they cant blame us! :)

Theyve already said a few times something along the lines of "well i dont care, we'll just do whatever ya'll do.", My brother said to just book excursions on our own and dinner in the supper club once that week and not tell anyone what we are doing ahead of time if we want it to be our time so they dont have the chance to book the same thing. Thats what hes doing with his friend to avoid feeling "griswoldy" (his words lol)

Thanks everyone.

Archived