Manzanillo - new port?

c-leg5

Does any one know whent the new port is due to be open in Manzanillo and where it is located in relation to the old one - isn't it supposed to be more central? I remember reading something about this a while back but nothing recently.

I have read about it, but I can't imagine what they are talking about. There is no other better place for a cruise pier; although now that the favorite port of Zihua has been bumped out by violence, perhaps Manzanillo will upgrade their desirability. I think they would be much better off building a sandy beach near the SailFish statue.

Portion below is a copy of a prior post we did on Manzanillo

Manzanillo, is a least favorite port. We suggest taking a tour, or going to view Las Hadas (Bo Derek/Dudly Moore "10") and then settle at Audencia beach

The Cruise pier is in a large industrial ship yard. The cabs that service shipfront are more expensive than if you walk the long walk out of the ship yard. I think we paid about $15 to return from Audiencia Beach for 2 of us. As you can see on the map below; the major resorts are very close to Audiencia Beach.

Manzanillo.jpg

The shopping area near the cruise port has no beach, and the best part is the large Sailfish statue.

IMG_3202.jpg

The expensive "day use" resort is Karima Palace. TOO MUCH $$ for us. Las Hadas is older and not so nice anymore. The best way for us, is to briefly visit Las Hadas on a FREE walking tour, and then have your cab take you to nearby Audiencia Beach. It cost $1 to rent a chair and there is plenty to see and do. Vendors ready to take you for a snorkle and more. Tasty and inexpensive food and drink all around. NICE

Las Hadas

STP62014.jpg

Las Hadas

STP61972.jpg

Audiencia Beach

IMG_3839.jpg

The last time we ported in Manzanillo, we asked the crew what they do in port. Some responded that they go to a small beach just west of the cruise pier. They have a small palapa resturant where you can buy seafood and cook it yourself. We joined them and had fun cooking fish and shrimp. Just walk out of the Ship Yard and strait down the pier entry roadway to the beach (10 minute walk)

IMG_3210.jpg

Thanks Bob for the photos and comments. We will be traveling with our 8 and 5 year old kids. We would like to take a taxi to a beach with fairly calm waters and chairs and umbrellas available to rent. Any suggestions?

Thanks Bob for the photos and comments. We will be traveling with our 8 and 5 year old kids. We would like to take a taxi to a beach with fairly calm waters and chairs and umbrellas available to rent. Any suggestions?

Audiencia is nice and classy, your wife will be happy. It will cost at least $20 round trip taxi, and take 1/2 hour plus each way.

If you walk westerly of the cruise pier (10 minute walk in the HOT/HUMID weather), there is also a beach, not as classy as audiencia, but it is close. On the map below it is southwest (left) of the north (top) end of the cruise pier. They will set you up with umbrellas, chairs, at the inexpensive palapa resturant

All beaches are calm, as Manzanillo is a large calm bay. The shopping area (southwest of that) has no beaches.

Manzanillo.jpg

Audiencia Beach

IMG_3839.jpg

This is some information I heard from someone in Manzanillo.

The new port is due to open in October 2009. It is in downtown Manzanillo and you are supposed to be able to walk out of the dock via new shopping area into town. (I don't know if this means it is an extension of, or next to, the old commercial port with a separate entrance?) It is 14 miles from the beaches and there will be an hourly shuttle service.

Just returned from Princess Mexican Riviera cruise. Our ZIH port of call was cancelled for still unknown reasons and replaced by Manzanillo. This was probably the most disgusting place I have ever visited. My opinion was shared by everyone I spoke with on the cruise. We docked at an industrial port and were shuttled to 'old town'. This is not a tourist friendly town. The place is dirty, shabby and, in no way inviting to touristsm unlike Puerto Vallarta, Cabo or Acapulco. As much as I dislike Mazatlan, it would have been a better choice.

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time in Manzanillo. I'm sure it was difficult to find the nice places if this was a last minute change in ports. We live in Manzanillo part of the year and absolutely love it but I can understand why you would judge it as dirty and awful if you stayed in the downtown area. This is a working city with an industrial port but there is a new cruise terminal being built that wil be open in the fall and the tourism board is really working on making Manzanillo more tourist friendly. However, one of the things that attracted us to Manz was the lack of tourists!

If you had been able to plan ahead or spend a bit more time here your opinion would change.

I've attached a picture of "our" beach. I sure don't think it's disgusting...

beach.jpg.79a6f5aa55fd50369c1824c6b5b86062.jpg

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time in Manzanillo. I'm sure it was difficult to find the nice places if this was a last minute change in ports. We live in Manzanillo part of the year and absolutely love it but I can understand why you would judge it as dirty and awful if you stayed in the downtown area. This is a working city with an industrial port but there is a new cruise terminal being built that wil be open in the fall and the tourism board is really working on making Manzanillo more tourist friendly. However, one of the things that attracted us to Manz was the lack of tourists!

If you had been able to plan ahead or spend a bit more time here your opinion would change.

I've attached a picture of "our" beach. I sure don't think it's disgusting...

Hi Karfest! Do you know where the new port is in relation to the old port? Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I have also read several places online that the new terminal/pier in Manzanillo will be open in Oct. 2009 but have not been able to find anywhere or anyone to confirm this has happened.

Karfest do you know if it is opened yet?? What beach would you recommend?? Thanks for the info bob, we are so far planning on Audiencia but want some suggestions. Thanks for your help!

We leave in 11 days and I will report back also.

I have also read several places online that the new terminal/pier in Manzanillo will be open in Oct. 2009. We leave in 11 days and I will report back.

Thanks. We aren't leaving until after Thanksgiving. :)

I read some other posts that recommend taking a ship excursion for this port as well as Ixtapa. We're leaning towards doing that.

Just returned from Princess Mexican Riviera cruise. Our ZIH port of call was cancelled for still unknown reasons and replaced by Manzanillo. This was probably the most disgusting place I have ever visited. My opinion was shared by everyone I spoke with on the cruise. We docked at an industrial port and were shuttled to 'old town'. This is not a tourist friendly town. The place is dirty, shabby and, in no way inviting to touristsm unlike Puerto Vallarta, Cabo or Acapulco. As much as I dislike Mazatlan, it would have been a better choice.

WOW We are booked on a Carnival cruise to both ZIH and Manzanillo in less than a month. :eek: Maybe we should stay onboard.

We'll be in Manzanillo soon. I wonder if things have changed since April?

Though I really liked Mazatlan so maybe Manzanillo will be enjoyable just the way it is.

We'll be in Manzanillo soon. I wonder if things have changed since April?

Though I really liked Mazatlan so maybe Manzanillo will be enjoyable just the way it is.

We were in Manzanillo in March and did a ship excursion to Karmina Palace for the day. The area right by the port is fairly industrial of course, but after a mile or 2, it was pretty nice and clean, some higher end houses, etc. And Karmina Palace was really nice, we'd go there again.

WOW We are booked on a Carnival cruise to both ZIH and Manzanillo in less than a month. :eek: Maybe we should stay onboard.

We were on the Spirit in March with a group of 28 friends and all agreed that Zihuatanejo is everyone's favorite port in the MR. It was very authentic, clean, friendly people, no high pressure sales, etc, etc.

I really have never heard the "dirty and shabby" description of Zihuantenejo before. Of course I won't be there until another few weeks from now, so I will withhold judgement. Usually I hear that it is the "most historically correct," "most traditional," "most authentic."

However, as an example, the tourist areas nearest the pier area in Cabo are very nice... very "presentable." But when I am there, I head up into the real Mexican areas. There I find a neighborhood seafood restaurant where we generally are the only tourists present. That's a real find!

I know that it has become the normal cruise experience to visit a foreign land, and then go to the places that looks and feels most like home. Everyone pays their own way so they get to do what they please. It's just not for me.

I also admit, I live in Baja... so I am more familiar and perhaps more adventuresome; but I encourage you to consider looking beyond the initial look of being "shabby" and try to see the culture and lifestyle with some curiosity and less judgemental attitude. I'm not being critical... we all like what we like, and that's okay. It's just that there are some very interesting people, art, crafts, and tasty foods behind that "working-man" shabby exterior.

Of course... it's also possible that you were in an area not at all intended for visitors.

Anyway, keep sailing and enjoy every day at sea! :)

It sounds like the new terminal will be open "soon" but we have been hearing that for quite some time! Even with the new building, you will not want to stay in the downtown area unless you really want to soak up some real Mexico. ;) If you don't leave the area, you will think Manzanillo is dirty and crowded so it is best to take a tour or grab a cab and get out of town.

However, if you just want to hang around the port, go to the Colonial Hotel. It is a short walk and is a wonderful place to have lunch, ice cream or drinks. I kinda like going downtown once in awhile but it isn't a tourist destination.

Susan Dearing does some excellent tours, I have been snorkeling and kayaking with her. You can also try Federico at Haro Tours, we LOVE his ATV tour but it is for adventure lovers only.

For a fun beach day, go to Playa Miramar in Club Santiago. It is on the opposite side of the city but worth the trip. It's a long stretch of sand with many bars and restaurants. There will be guys renting boogie boards, wave runners, and banana boat rides.

Check out our blog at www. livinginmexico.posterous.com. It starts with our return home and goes backwards but you will find some posts about downtown, Hotel Colonial, Club Santiago, and La Boquita. La Boquita is a group of restaurants on Playa Miramar. Keep in mind, it was 98 degrees and just as humid so I look a little wilted. Things will be much better when we return in November!

Let me know if you have any other questions- we want you to enjoy Manzanillo as much as we do. :)

We were there in December on the "Spirit". I had heard that Manzanillo was a true industrial port and there was not a whole lot of things "touristy" to do around the port. We booked a ship's tour inland and went to Comala and Colima (the Colima State Capital.) We had a wonderful time and felt we saw the real Mexico. Colima is a beautiful, very clean city and we spent over an hour just wandering around. Comala was a quaint little village where we had lunch. We also had a great views of the two volcanos. The active volcano even belched a steam cloud for us. This was one of our favorite days on the cruise so don't write Manzanillo off as a good port.

Richard

It sounds like the new terminal will be open "soon" but we have been hearing that for quite some time! Even with the new building, you will not want to stay in the downtown area unless you really want to soak up some real Mexico. ;) If you don't leave the area, you will think Manzanillo is dirty and crowded so it is best to take a tour or grab a cab and get out of town.

However, if you just want to hang around the port, go to the Colonial Hotel. It is a short walk and is a wonderful place to have lunch, ice cream or drinks. I kinda like going downtown once in awhile but it isn't a tourist destination.

Susan Dearing does some excellent tours, I have been snorkeling and kayaking with her. You can also try Federico at Haro Tours, we LOVE his ATV tour but it is for adventure lovers only.

For a fun beach day, go to Playa Miramar in Club Santiago. It is on the opposite side of the city but worth the trip. It's a long stretch of sand with many bars and restaurants. There will be guys renting boogie boards, wave runners, and banana boat rides.

Check out our blog at www. livinginmexico.posterous.com. It starts with our return home and goes backwards but you will find some posts about downtown, Hotel Colonial, Club Santiago, and La Boquita. La Boquita is a group of restaurants on Playa Miramar. Keep in mind, it was 98 degrees and just as humid so I look a little wilted. Things will be much better when we return in November!

Let me know if you have any other questions- we want you to enjoy Manzanillo as much as we do. :)

Thank you sooooo much for all the good info Karen! Your website is awesome and thanks too for the Scuba Shack video.

Here is my question. I know I had mentioned going to La Audienca...how far away is that by cab and about how much to get there? You mentioned Mirmar in Club Santiago...is that closer than Audienca and is this a club where you have to go in to get to the beach and do you have to pay a fee or can you just go to Mirmar Beach itself? I just want to be clear. We just want a relaxing beach day with good food and drinks but the husbands like the wave runners. How far is Mirmar and do you know how much by cab? Sorry for all the questions but we are really trying to pick the best beach for us and don't want to go too far from the ship. Thank you sooooo much!

When you look at this picture, Playa Miramar is on the far left end of the bay on the left. Most of that bay is all beach, you could almost walk from Audiencia to Miramar but it would take awhile! There is also an excellent surfing beach between Audiencia and Miramar called Olas Altas.

All of these are probably 15-20 min from downtown, depending on traffic but the ride through the city is fun. (if you don't have to do it ALL the time!) All of the public beaches are free, you need to pay if you are using Karmina or Las Hadas facilities. Beer and food are cheap and plentiful and our lack of Spanish has never been an issue. (we are trying but it isn't that easy at our age!!) Restrooms in Mexico are hit and miss, I always carry travel size toilet paper and sanitizer. Our house is in Club Santiago, which you will go through if you go to La Boquita. We have some video of it on the blog. There are guards at the gate but will let you through when they see you are tourists going to the beach!

I haven't taken a taxi in awhile but I'm guessing $30 might do it. Let me check and get back to you on that. Your taxi driver would probably be willing to stay or come back and get you at a set time. The taxi drivers that I have run across are all pretty decent. The younger guys also seem to know English pretty well. Also- you don't tip the taxi driver- they include that in the rate that you negotiate!

I have rambled quite a bit- let me know if you need clarification or have any other questions. :)

Manzanillo.jpg

Archived