Manzanillo - new port?

c-leg5

When you look at this picture, Playa Miramar is on the far left end of the bay on the left. Most of that bay is all beach, you could almost walk from Audiencia to Miramar but it would take awhile! There is also an excellent surfing beach between Audiencia and Miramar called Olas Altas.

All of these are probably 15-20 min from downtown, depending on traffic but the ride through the city is fun. (if you don't have to do it ALL the time!) All of the public beaches are free, you need to pay if you are using Karmina or Las Hadas facilities. Beer and food are cheap and plentiful and our lack of Spanish has never been an issue. (we are trying but it isn't that easy at our age!!) Restrooms in Mexico are hit and miss, I always carry travel size toilet paper and sanitizer. Our house is in Club Santiago, which you will go through if you go to La Boquita. We have some video of it on the blog. There are guards at the gate but will let you through when they see you are tourists going to the beach!

I haven't taken a taxi in awhile but I'm guessing $30 might do it. Let me check and get back to you on that. Your taxi driver would probably be willing to stay or come back and get you at a set time. The taxi drivers that I have run across are all pretty decent. The younger guys also seem to know English pretty well. Also- you don't tip the taxi driver- they include that in the rate that you negotiate!

I have rambled quite a bit- let me know if you need clarification or have any other questions. :)

Manzanillo.jpg

Hi Karen...Why do Karmina and Las Hadas charged to use their facility? Does it include food, and other activities?

Thanks

karen would you know ? ...i saw in a tour book that a public bus does a downtown circuit and along the manzanillo bay to the resorts and beaches at little cost ....my little map shows a bus station close to the train station with the cruise pier not far off ....would this be a bad idea to explore by bus ? thanks for any info

We have been going to Manzanillo for a number of years. I can see why some of the comments were less than impressive if all you do is stay around the downtown port. We have seen the significant improvements the city has been working on the last 5 years. This is one port where you can get a real taste of Mexico and friendly people and not the tourist version like PV and such.

We took an ATV tour with Hectours to a completely deserted and open beach. Very rough undertow makes the beach less desirable for swimming and why no one goes there. It is also a hard drive to with a car but great for ATV access.

Karmina is also great for kids if you are looking for water park type fun. We also like Las Hadas but for great food - stay with the restraunts like Bigotes along the beach on the main highway through the city.

karen would you know ? ...i saw in a tour book that a public bus does a downtown circuit and along the manzanillo bay to the resorts and beaches at little cost ....my little map shows a bus station close to the train station with the cruise pier not far off ....would this be a bad idea to explore by bus ? thanks for any info

I LOVE riding the public bus because you just never know what will happen! Sometimes a clown, singer, or comedian will hop on and do an act for tips. Sometimes a guy with a box of chickens, maybe a taco vendor. I have been asked for American quarters several times because they are worth a bonus when the bus drivers play poker. I am also a magnet for kids who want to practice saying "Good Morning or Good Afternoon!" For 50 cents it is alot of entertainment:)

However, without knowing our way around, it could be more of an adventure than you bargained for. There have been times that I am nervous that I won't get back to where I started, but I always do, sometimes it just takes awhile. You could safely get on a bus labeled Wal-Mart or Soriana and it would get you to the "main drag" You could get off the bus there and wander around. Maybe hit Dairy Queen, Burger King, Office Max, Starbucks:p

When you want to get back to the port, look for the bus marked Centro. Best advice is to take a "Directo" as it has fewer stops. If you are confused, you can always find someone who can get you going the right way. Have fun- and remember, the busses are not air conditioned. :eek:

Kenito,

I have many a fond memories of weekends spent at the Rosarito Beach Hotel in my younger years when I lived in San Diego. I'm sure the area has changed a lot in the past 25-30 years. I love the people and small towns in Mexico. That's what keeps drawing me back.

And I will take a small stand on the side of the road, with an good Torta, any day over a chain restaurant. LOL!

I went to Las Hadas lat Oct. when I was on the Spirit, and had a great time. Hope to go back someday. Leaving on the Splendor on Oct. 25 and looking forward my time in Mexico.

that bus trip sounds fun ...we have done this in puerto vallarta and got to where we wanted, had a great time ...in manzanillo we would like to explore a bit of downtown then have a bus take us to the beaches ...we can always take a cab back if it looks like time is catching up with us ...is there a bus that goes to la audencia , la boquita , or playa miramar ? .... it wouldn't take hours for such a trip , would it ? ...i plan on having a peek at your blog and the go to manzanillo site ....have enjoyed your posts ...thanks margaret

Archived