Pier 91 Seattle Open House

Old As Dirt Mom

Today my wonderful travel agent invited me to go along with her to the Pier 91 Tourism Open House. I was curious to see what the layout was like, as my husband and I will be boarding the Amsterdam this Friday, April 24th, the first ship to use Seattle's new cruise terminal. Here are some initial photos. The first shot is of the entrance, the second shows the area out front where taxis, buses, and cars will be able to drop off/pick up passengers, the third shot shows the escalators from the entrance hall to security and check in, the fourth shot is of the passenger security screening area, and the fifth shows the HAL check-in area where passengers proceed after security.

IMG_0612.jpg.8194f0d15e887c4990c32b21fb44d592.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg.e6b156962e9efbdeb09a57678e95acde.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg.9cac41fc4e89f2859e812bc2ead4102c.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg.50dea962742d7403ae479e3c540071ec.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg.fac287407d7a56f0227e2f7d814323e1.jpg

Here are some more photos. The first in this batch shows where passengers proceed to the ship after check-in. The next shows the view of the downtown Seattle skyline, to the south of Pier 91. Next, we have the check-in counters (sorry, a little out of sequence). My travel agent told me that each cruise line is responsible for setting up their own computer terminals prior to each embarkation, and in fact, they are offloaded from the ship and installed prior to passenger arrival. When all pax are checked-in, the computers are dismantled and returned to the ship. Fourth photo shows the ramp that pax will use to walk from the terminal to the ship (don't worry, it will not look like this). Last is a photo of the customs and immigration hall, located on the bottom level of the terminal.

IMG_0624.jpg.fbfbf89126fd29471a01eaf1ec5d214d.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg.56e1f7e80cf8846a2e396172b8dbf7a6.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg.47336cbf84d8ed70853725abb1cd4193.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg.7fc37347eac38e9abe00256f13180e26.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg.a21a67931fc36768bed18c39f6d660e7.jpg

Last couple of photos. The first shows the front entrance and baggage drop off point. The second gives you an idea of the immediate surroundings. Pier 91 is where the big commercial fishing boats come in. They're not used to the exotic cruise passenger traffic that's about to hit them. There is nothing close to this pier in terms of services, restaurants, shops, or hotels. There is Smith Cove park nearby.

The new terminal has rest rooms, water fountains, lots of chairs, attractive planters with flowers that were in the process of being planted, big windows, beautiful views, and that's it. There is a concierge desk by the main entrance, which will offer luggage storage and a Budget rental car kiosk.

The cruise passenger parking lot, to the north of the terminal, was not yet ready for viewing today. However, it's supposed to be ready by Friday!

IMG_0642.jpg.38c83ae8eeb9888433606f0fcfab9339.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg.7d9cd067edc42810873b953ba03e1c0e.jpg

Driving Directions to Smith Cove Cruise Terminal

at Terminal 91

Address

2001 W. Garfield St.

Seattle, WA 98119

From Interstate 5 North

1. Head south on I-5 and follow the signs to the Mercer Street Exit
  2. Take exit 167 to Mercer Street (right-hand off-ramp)
  3. Take a right turn on to Fairview Avenue North ( 400 feet)
  4. Take a left turn on Valley Street (0.18 miles)
  5. Valley Street bends to the left and becomes Broad Street (0.75 miles)
  6. Turn right to Denny Way (0.32 miles)
  7. Bend right to Western Avenue ( 0.22 miles)
  8. Western joins Elliott Avenue West (1.18 miles)
  9. Follow signs to Magnolia Bridge
  10. Turn right at 14th Ave West (signal light intersection) (0.14 miles)
  11. Stay to the right and follow ramp joining the Magnolia Bridge (West Garfield Street) (0.35 miles)
  12. Exit right. Follow signs to “Smith Cove Park” (0.55 miles) and Cruise Terminal
  13. Turn right at bottom of ramp and follow signs for cruise terminal parking or cruise terminal

From Interstate 5 South

1. Head north on I-5 and follow signs to the Mercer Street Exit
  2. Take exit 167 (left-side off-ramp) to Mercer Street
  3. Take a right turn on to Fairview Avenue North (400 feet)
  4. Take a left turn on Valley Street (0.18 miles)
  5. Valley Street bends to the left and becomes Broad Street (0.75 miles)
  6. Turn right to Denny Way (0.32 miles)
  7. Bend right to Western Avenue (0.22 miles)
  8. Western joins Elliott Avenue West (1.18 miles)
  9. Follow signs to Magnolia Bridge
  10. Turn right at 14th Ave West (signal light intersection) (0.14 miles)
  11. Stay to the right and follow ramp joining the Magnolia Bridge (West Garfield Street) (0.35 miles)
  12. Exit right. Follow signs to “Smith Cove Park” (0.55 miles) and Cruise Terminal
  13. Turn right at bottom of ramp and follow signs for cruise terminal parking or cruise terminal

From Interstate 90 West

1. Take I-90 West to I-5 North
  2. Then follow directions for "From Interstate 5 South

Thanks, Diane and Bill; I wanted to see what it was like for myself. My husband and I will be among the "guinea pigs", leaving this Friday on the Amsterdam for her 3-day coastal cruise to Victoria and Vancouver. It should be interesting, as the Amsterdam will be the first ship to use the new pier, and there was lots of preparation still going on around us during the open house. They do have the customs/immigration/security/shore services offices up and running. I can't imagine how that area around Pier 91/Magnolia Bridge is going to handle all the increased traffic. For all those who are driving, look for the "cruise ship" signs that are posted along the way after the Mercer Street exit. They certainly take you along a convoluted route past the Seattle Center and even past Holland America's Corporate Headquarters.

I should mention that as you approach the terminal building, Holland America passengers drop their luggage on the right side of the building, while Royal Caribbean and Princess use the left side of the building. When you enter the building on the first floor, there will be identification check-points. After this, only ticketed passengers may proceed up to the second floor for security and check-in.

Here are some extra little facts, and then I will stop for the day:) This is quoted from the documentation that was handed out at the open house today:

"Princess and Holland America ships will be plugged into shore power connections......While at the dock these ships use Seattle City Light power, turn off their ship engines and eliminate all air emissions. Seattle is the only port in the world with two shore power outlets."

"There will be a courtesy shuttle running between the long-term parking lot and the terminal. Buses to the airport are located under the large white/gray canopy on the right as you exit the building. (The ground transportation lot is just outside the front doors). If you need a taxi walk toward the yellow awning. Taxis will wait on the right-side of the awning".

Here are some links to helpful sites:

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/

http://www.rpnw.com/seattle/cruise/default.asp

Will Celebrity be using the same terminal?

No, Celebrity will be using the Bell Street Pier (Pier 66) right smack in the hub of downtown:) They've been at that location for years, so there shouldn't be any unexpected surprises for you there!

Thank you so much for this great update...it's very helpful! Have an excellent cruise. We're looking forward to hearing of your experience!! :)

:)You're welcome! There are quite a few CC'ers on this particular cruise, so I'm sure there will be lots of reports!

Thank you for the pics. It's nice to get a sneak preview.

Kind of intimidating for a first timer![/quote]

Yes, I agree. They're trying to get it all done by Friday, and things seemed pretty organized, but the first test comes tomorrow. I'm glad I had a chance to check it out before our departure. I saw a number of hotel vans, shuttle vans, you name it, many drivers taking advantage of the open house to familiarize themselves with the route.

Can you tell me how far the pier is from SeaTac airport? I will be flying into SeaTac alone and meeting the rest of my party at Pier 91. I'm wondering if a cab will be big bucks or if I will need to hop on a bus. :( Either way, I'd like to get an idea of how long a trip it's going to be from the airport.

Thanks in advance!

Idgie

Can you tell me how far the pier is from SeaTac airport? I will be flying into SeaTac alone and meeting the rest of my party at Pier 91. I'm wondering if a cab will be big bucks or if I will need to hop on a bus. :( Either way, I'd like to get an idea of how long a trip it's going to be from the airport.

Thanks in advance!

Idgie

It's about 15 miles. Allow at least 30 minutes. Budget about $40.

Thanks, MAM. Since it's too far from work (Union Station), I'll be there in spirit only to wish you bon voyage. Bring back some wonderful memories.

Mrs Muir

Thanks, Mrs Muir. I see you're heading out yourself on a pretty nice cruise in just a few days.:) Aloha!

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I could be helpful. CC member Dutch By Association is going to be on our Amsterdam cruise leaving tomorrow, and I think he'll probably have info on his blog if you want to follow along:

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

(How's that for a nice plug for you, Dutch?;))

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that there were no services, food, etc nearby. While that is exactly true of the terminal area, Smith Cove nearby (less than a mile) has EXCELLENT restaurants... Maggie Bluffs is burgers, chowder, salads and a bar while upstairs with a great deck is one of the finest restaurants in Seattle: Palisades. Here they specialize in fresh seafood, Asian fusion and superior service and wine list. It is my favorite place to dine in the Emerald City. Walking here is likely not possible, but a $5 cab ride will make this a very special lunch stop for you.

Archived