Luggage Scales

endosunshine

I really do not recommend going this route for many reasons. One is I can't see lugging your luggage all the way up to the Fitness Center. And many times one has to weigh the luggage multiple times because of accuracy. And the other reason is that the hand held scale is much more accurate then when the ship is at sea as traditional scales will go back and forth as the ship rocks.

For those who are traveling solo with the hand held scale they either just need to get someone to come by their room while they are weighing them if they need help lifiting the bag or just reading the hand held scale or they need to get the kind that locks in the weight which some of the digital scales do.

For us just the traditional non-digital scale works like a charm because I lift the luggage while my wife quickly looks at the scale to determine the weight.

Keith

Some of the ships fitness centers do not even have the scales with the weights on them. They have a plain old floor scale like I have at home. :(

I have used them all. ;) For me, not my luggage.

I have the same one trixietx mentions in their post below. You can weigh the luggage yourself as the weight locks in.;) It really does work great. I do take the regular hand held one on the ships because it is a little smaller to pack and as you said, there are two of us to read it.

=trixietx;19239290]I have the digital scale that I ordered from Magellan. It is accurate!

I think I'm just about ready to buy this one.

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=xscale

That one I have never seen before. I like the size and shape of it for easy packing of it. Plus the fact you can grip it with two hands to lift it.

I just showed it to my husband and even he was interested in getting it.

Thank you for posting that. ;)

I tried to order that HEYS xSCALE scale and it is not shipped out of Canada to the US.

They told me to try their US distribution company and ask if they can tell me where to get it here in the US. They said that they do carry different products though so there is no guarantee.

I did email them and we shall see what they say?

I went to a sporting goods store and bought a good digital fishing scale that handles up to 75lb weight. It is small enough to pack in a suit case and I can use it while traveling to weght all of the memories we collect.

I went to a sporting goods store and bought a good digital fishing scale that handles up to 75lb weight. It is small enough to pack in a suit case and I can use it while traveling to weght all of the memories we collect.

They are all similar. My travel scale fits in the suitcase and takes up almost no room and also goes to 75 lbs.

The key to all of this is that it really makes sense to take a travel scale with you on those trips where you check your baggage vs not taking a scale. And the prices start quite low for good scales.

Keith

I work a second job in a luggage store and we have both types of scales, digital and the one pictured (Travelsmith or Magellans, can't remember). We sell quite a lot of them.

To the man who says you have to have a second person to see the weight, just turn the dial towards you instead of away from you. The non-digital type does have an indicator that is supposed to freeze at the weight of the piece, but I find it doesn't work all that well. I think the digital type is more accurate.

I use these two items all the time to weigh empty luggage for people, the digital is always the same, the other one not so much, but it's less than half the price, so we sell more of those.

When we travel and make purchases we feel may weigh down our luggage, or be damaged from being packed, we have it shipped to our home. Sales tax is not charged to you if it is from a different state, that helps to offset the shipping charge. You are supposed to claim it and pay sales tax in your own home state.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet...

Use curbside check in, tip the porter, they will generally let stuff slide as long as you are close. Try to find a strong porter, since they won't notice the heavy bag as much.

I use a digital handheld scale by "balanzza", it measures in lbs and kgs. You just set it to whichever unit of measure you want, attach the bag and hold it just off the floor until the scale beeps. The weight is locked on the screen until you clear it. It's very accurate and small enough to carry with me so I can weigh my bags for the trip home. I ordered it from Amazon.com for a few dollars less than Magellans and Travelsmith, about $22.

Archived