Luggage Scales

endosunshine

Does anyone have a reliable hand held luggage scale and where did you purchase it? I bought one and the first thing I did was put some dumb bells in a fabric bag to test it while knowing exactly how much weight was there. It was incorrect every time. Also was inconsistant. If it were off by the same amount each time, I could adjust for it.

Any advice is appreciated.

It should be noted that the scales used by the airlines are often off by quite a bit. As of yet, they are NOT regulated (although I am sure that is coming and it should be).

I agree. For this reason, as we fill up our luggage we aim to have each piece between 48 to 49 lbs to account for any issues with our scale or that of the airlines.

Keith

Here is the web site for the scale we purchased. Have used it on trips the last several years. It works well. Always within 1 lb. or less of the airlines scales.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1797&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C292%2C328&iProductID=1797&sortBy=0

Keith

This is the same one I purchased, and it has been spot on. I have used it for about 12 years now, and it is as accurate as the day I bought it, and usually always within a pound of the airport.

endosunshine,

Think you must have just gotten a lemon. Try one from Travelsmith or Magellan's, maybe have better luck. Not sure where you bought your first one.

We don't even use a luggage scale. We've found that we can balance it on our digital scale at home. It's come out with in 1lb of the airport every time.:)

I can barely lift the 45-50 lb bag, let alone hold it long enough to weigh it.

How do you manage that?

I have a regular luggage scale and then bought one for my brother from WalMart for his cruise. It's a fishing scale and is identical to the luggage scale except for the color. Not bad for $5.97, and very accurate.

We don't even use a luggage scale. We've found that we can balance it on our digital scale at home. It's come out with in 1lb of the airport every time.:)

It's not the start of the trip I am worried about. We go to San Francisco for a week, then cruise to Alaska, then stay in Vancouver 4 days.

I am assuming I will be making some purchases along the way.:D

So on the way home we may need to rearrange things to make sure no one bag is overweight.:p

It's not the start of the trip I am worried about. We go to San Francisco for a week, then cruise to Alaska, then stay in Vancouver 4 days.

I am assuming I will be making some purchases along the way.:D

So on the way home we may need to rearrange things to make sure no one bag is overweight.:p

I also use the little hand held scales.

I take mine with me for the return flights just for that reason. It is small enough to throw in the carry on after I weigh the bags before I leave. After the cruises/vacations, I weigh the bags on the ship and throw it in the carry on for the return flight.

I know if I have to even out the weight of the bags before I put them out at night.

I can barely lift the 45-50 lb bag, let alone hold it long enough to weigh it.

How do you manage that?

Well, I work out in the weight room regularly. If a 48 yr old female wants to stay trim and looking good, that's about the only way to go. (not that I am admitting that I am that 48 yr old woman!!:rolleyes:)

Side benefit is I am pretty strong. When I travel with only a carry on bag, I always make sure that I can lift the bag over my head with little difficulty. (military presses, for those of you who work out)

Never too late for you to start too!:):)

I have a regular luggage scale and then bought one for my brother from WalMart for his cruise. It's a fishing scale and is identical to the luggage scale except for the color. Not bad for $5.97, and very accurate.

Great tip on the fishing scale! I would have never thought of that.

For any of you that have BJ's Wholesale Clubs in your area, they have one that sells for $4.99. It is small enough to pack and take with you for the return trip and I have found it to be very accurate. I have purchased several for friends and relatives and they were very happy with them.

If you have access to a fitness center, they usually have a scale--just go weigh your bag(s) there and you will know how much you are returning with!! Note: you do not have to get on the scales yourself!! I have not tried this myself, but read it in a travel magazine and thought it was a good idea!! Every bit of space counts when you have to pack to go home--and then you aren't bothered with keeping track of the scales during your entire trip!!

KT

If you have access to a fitness center, they usually have a scale--just go weigh your bag(s) there and you will know how much you are returning with!! Note: you do not have to get on the scales yourself!! I have not tried this myself, but read it in a travel magazine and thought it was a good idea!! Every bit of space counts when you have to pack to go home--and then you aren't bothered with keeping track of the scales during your entire trip!!

KT

I really do not recommend going this route for many reasons. One is I can't see lugging your luggage all the way up to the Fitness Center. And many times one has to weigh the luggage multiple times because of accuracy. And the other reason is that the hand held scale is much more accurate then when the ship is at sea as traditional scales will go back and forth as the ship rocks.

For those who are traveling solo with the hand held scale they either just need to get someone to come by their room while they are weighing them if they need help lifiting the bag or just reading the hand held scale or they need to get the kind that locks in the weight which some of the digital scales do.

For us just the traditional non-digital scale works like a charm because I lift the luggage while my wife quickly looks at the scale to determine the weight.

Keith

I have this scale and I find it very useful. I have had used fish scales in the past and it worked ok but it was not all that handy and as with all spring scales the more you use the less accurate it becomes. The handiest feature of this scale besides being very accurate is once you hear the beep the scale will show the weight once you place it on the floor as you can see in this picture.

If you search balanzza you will find a number of places that sell it including Amazon.

Shak

P5023011.jpg

Archived