Upsell opportunity - need advise

NAUdebo

My wife and I are on the Westerdam trip to Alaska on May 31st. We're taking this trip as our delayed honeymoon. We won the base price of the cruise (inside gty) in a drawing our travel agent's company put on. We chose to upgrade to a suite, and spent $1900 for the two of us combined. We're currently in category SY, room 6055.

Just talked to our agent, and she called HAL to inquire about upgrades/upsells. They're offering us an SC guarantee for $190 per person. Any experience here in the SC cabins and what they're like? I know at that level, you get all the deluxe suite "extras", like priority embarkation, tendering, and disembarkation.

Is this deal worth it? We have some money to spend on the cruise, not a fortune by any means, but if we do this, we'd find other spots to cut back. Thoughts? Thanks!

They're offering us an SC guarantee for $190 per person. Is this deal worth it?

The amenities are nice, you get more space, and a larger verandah. It's a good price. You just have to answer for yourself whether the "perks" of the larger suite would give you more enjoyment than the other areas where you would have to cut back.

Personally, as a delayed honeymoon trip, I would grab the upgrade!

Any reason in specific why you feel that way? Curious to know how much bigger the balcony would be in that room - plan to spend a lot of time on it.

These numbers are very approximate....but I think SY6065 has a balcony about 8 feet deep and 16 feet wide.

The SMALLEST SC balcony would be around 50% bigger than that. The SC's which wrap around a corner are HUGE - easily 3 times the size of the SY balcony.

However, it's the perks which spoil you. I'd take the offer.

Thanks for the info. Any concern I should have with a corner suite? I've heard people complain about being on the far end of a ship. We're in good shape and young, so walking longer distances won't be a problem.

My wife and I are on the Westerdam trip to Alaska on May 31st. We're taking this trip as our delayed honeymoon. We won the base price of the cruise (inside gty) in a drawing our travel agent's company put on. We chose to upgrade to a suite, and spent $1900 for the two of us combined. We're currently in category SY, room 6055.

Just talked to our agent, and she called HAL to inquire about upgrades/upsells. They're offering us an SC guarantee for $190 per person. Any experience here in the SC cabins and what they're like? I know at that level, you get all the deluxe suite "extras", like priority embarkation, tendering, and disembarkation.

Is this deal worth it? We have some money to spend on the cruise, not a fortune by any means, but if we do this, we'd find other spots to cut back. Thoughts? Thanks!

I believe that the SC's are only on the back of the boat, so you know exactly what you will get=Cruise ship heaven!!

The SY that you are currently in has no real perks, just more space than a typical cabin. But the SC is a whole new world of wonderfulness. if this is a honeymoon trip, do it and don't look back! We tried the SC once and went to a VB after (for $$) and we missed:

1. The much larger wraparound balcony with loungers and a table for eating. If you plan to spend time there you will never ever regret this choice. You can see well on 2 sides of the ship!

2. Breakfast in the Pinnacle grill-delightful, private, and you can wear shorts at breakfast!

3. The bedding-the down duvet and pilow selection was amazing!

4. Bathroom space-the dressing area and closets alone are worth it

5. Priority- nice to get first tenders, and on and off the ship when we wanted to.

6. The Neptune was nice, but the SC is further away. However, we called them often if we had issues, like not getting through to room service, or getting our Mariner Tiles. You never had to wait in line to ask a question, you had "people" to do that for you.

We work very hard for our money, and we felt like Kings and Queens for a week. I would do it again in a heartbeat!:D We liked being in the back. The vibration feeling was so mild and very soothing. The walking at mealtime was great, the back of the boat is where all the food is, so climb a few stairs and you are there. Otherwise, I liked the extra walking, to work off the extra eating.

LOL, maxs. Your response was well said. One concern about SC from looking at the deck plan is that there are two SC cabins with handicapped access. These two cabins don't wrap around - they are at the very back of the ship in between some other suites/staterooms. Anyone familiar with these? I'm worried about getting stuck in one and missing out on getting Alaskan scenery from two sides (as you would in all the other SC rooms with wraparound verandahs).

Here are some shots of the balcony/cabin 4185

I have no idea how that would work. It would still be a great cabin, but can you refuse a handicap room? I know others do on principle, but I don't know how that works with an upsell. I would talk to my travel agent about that. We booked the cabin next to this one for our last cruise and told her we would love an upsell to any SC on the corner. She called a few times with other offers (sy and sz), but we never got the corner offer.

1359714968_ry3D400.jpg.e36086057fff1aa1d5f34134b8af4502.jpg

1408920840_ry3D401.jpg.a7df04c457185b33bf6d8b7d8af368d0.jpg

704761597_ry3D402.jpg.a77998af21d54c5bba56782e7b315cf1.jpg

Here are photos of Westerdam's corner 8147 (which is an SB, but vitrually identical to the SC corner suites ... except on a different deck).

http://travel.webshots.com/album/567270377IFAjpx?start=24

The two SC handicapable suites have smaller verandahs than the corners, but still very large. The cabin is different with its furniture spacing, and it does not have a tub ... it has a large shower suitable for hc use.

Remember, too, that you're getting an SC guarantee, which might mean an SB or even SA!

I'd do the $190/pp ugrade in a heartbeat. The wake view is fantastic if you get an aft cabin, and the suite benefits are so wonderful, esp for a special occasion such as your belated honeymoon.

Just one suggestion: no idea how well the ship is filling, but you might wish to make your decision very soon so that you're not disappointed .... someone else may be being offered the same deal!

NAUdebo,

I think I would jump on it for the $$$. My husband and I never took a honeymoon and will be doing a 7-day Alaska Inside Passage cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary next May. We had our first aft cabin on Oosterdam (VA) last December and fell in love with the wake view. We decided to splurge on an aft SC wraparound cabin for the Alaska cruise on Zuiderdam. I hope you get the chance to watch the wake from your fabulous honeymoon suite. Enjoy eachother.

BTW...My husband and I met while students at NAU.

That's crazy, larsen! Small world - didn't think I'd find NAU alums on here so fast. Graduated in '05, BS Poli Sci. Out of curiousity, since I'm hearing this from everyone, what's so great about the wake view? I think I'm leaning towards taking the deal, although we'll see what my wife has to say when I get home. :)

One thing you should be aware of is that at the end of May, the Alaska waters are still very chilly and that has an impact on air temps. So if you plan to spend as much time on your balcony as you say you hope to, make sure that you have warm layered clothing, even though a cabin aft overlooking the wake is not as windy as one of those on either side of the ship when the ship is moving forward.:)

I would take the upsell in a hearbeat!! :)

Nevermind the cool weather, you will use your balcony alot on a Alaska cruise. We have been twice and absolutely loved it!!

There are blankets in your cabin made for using on your balcony and you will have the use of the Neptune for hot chocolate or coffee and you can snuggle under your blanket on your "huge" balcony. Sounds like heaven!!!! Enjoy!!

First cruise, I see! You'll have a great time. This is my second - I did a Pacific NW one with my parents back in 2002. It was everything I could have hoped for. Hopefully we'll meet, dandro - it would be nice to meet a few people from these boards on our trip.

Never put your wife in a cabin that you do not planning on purchasing the rest of your life.

Otherwise you will get picked on every cruise for the rest of your life.

Jim (without Ruth)

Then clearly, I am in deep, deep trouble. I fundraise for a non-profit and she's a teacher. Can't afford this cabin very often!

We are at the winter of our lives and are trying to spend it before our kids do.

You cannot repace a verandah with anything else on the ship. The ability to sit there and have a coffee/drink on the verandah and watch the world go by is priceless..

Ruth & Jim

Then clearly, I am in deep, deep trouble. I fundraise for a non-profit and she's a teacher. Can't afford this cabin very often!

First of all kudos to you and your wife and the work you do.

If there is anyway your TA can insure you are assigned that glorious ,wonderful wrap around balcony suite have them do it.

What;s so wonderful about the wake ,you ask.:)Well let me tell you.

The frothy white dancing waters propelling you forward are mesmerizing.

The sun setting or rising over the wake makes coffee or wine taste especially good.:)

To view all the wonders you are about to see in Alaska from this vantage

will create memories for you both that will last a lifetime.

What ever your decision have a wonderful honeymoon cruise.

Wishing you all the best H:)ppy Sailing

Archived