What to wear with evening skirt

rmmm

I have a really pretty floor length satin evening skirt with an overlay of organza in a pretty leaf green color. I need ideas on a top that can go with it - I am 45 and not really a sequined top kind of girl. Any ideas? I have tried to find a jeweled sweater but haven't really had any luck finding one that goes with green - most of what I have found have been black or steel gray cashmere. I was thinking of getting a cashmere twin set and dressing it up with accessories. Would that be acceptable on a formal night on an Alaska cruise? Thanks.

I have a really pretty floor length satin evening skirt with an overlay of organza in a pretty leaf green color. I need ideas on a top that can go with it - I am 45 and not really a sequined top kind of girl. Any ideas? I have tried to find a jeweled sweater but haven't really had any luck finding one that goes with green - most of what I have found have been black or steel gray cashmere. I was thinking of getting a cashmere twin set and dressing it up with accessories. Would that be acceptable on a formal night on an Alaska cruise? Thanks.

Hi just a heads up..... there's a whole fashion section on the boards which I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions. Over here they think "Dockers" are dressy so I'd be leery.

Here's the link to the fashion forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

I'd go with a cream satin camisole and a scarf/shawl in colors that pick up the green.

Hi just a heads up there's a whole fashion section on the boards which I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions.

Over here they think "Dockers" are dressy, so I'd be leery.

That is too funny for words, and oh so true. Best laugh I have had all day, thanks so much.

Valerie:D

Pipedreams62 is correct in steering you to the fashion forum. They are a wealth of information over there and very friendly and eager to help.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your formal evenings.

Valerie:)

Certain shades of brown,rust and soft pinks look lovely against certain shades of green:) Hard to know not being able to see the color.

Having said that you could wear a simple black top ,with a flattering neck line(could also be worn with other outfits) give it a pop with some fun jewelery or with a fancy pashmina (wrap) that perhaps had both black and that shade of green in the fabric

Your skirt sounds very pretty,I am sure you will will look great.

Have a great cruise.

Hi just a heads up..... there's a whole fashion section on the boards which I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions. Over here they think "Dockers" are dressy so I'd be leery.

Here's the link to the fashion forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

WHAT!!!???!!! Dockers are not dressy????

I'd go with a cream satin camisole and a scarf/shawl in colors that pick up the green.

Agree with this poster..A cream or even a white satin or organza 3/4 sleeve top with an added scarf/shawl to pick up the green would look lovely with your skirt...

IMO black would be too dark with a leaf green skirt..

You might want to check Dillards, Nordstrom's or Macy's on line for formal separates..

Enjoy your cruise...Betty

I was thinking of getting a cashmere twin set and dressing it up with accessories. Would that be acceptable on a formal night on an Alaska cruise? Thanks.

Not a good match. Your skirt sounds beautifully formal. A cashmere twin set, although lovely in it's own right, screams business dress, or daytime tea.

Some other posters have given you some great ideas.

I love wearing evening skirts on a cruise. Here is a picture taken on the Windsurf a couple years ago when we did a Wedding renewal ceremony. I have also worn this sweater set with a long pink satin skirt and it really worked well. Hope this helps.

01-25-2007092340am2-2.jpg

I agree with the posters suggesting cream/ivory dressy tops with your skirt (it sounds beautiful by the way). If you are on a mission to find a match you may be able to find something very reasonable in price on the remaining clearance racks from the winter clothing sales. Good luck finding a match - you should come back and post a picture of yourself in your green skirt with whatever you come up with to match. Good luck finding the match.

You're just as funny with words as you are with pictures.:)

Sob. I love my Dockers.

But, to be serious here, you don't need to spend a boatload on clothing either. Some of my favorite finds cost very little in those cheapo shops.:D

You are so right. In the pic that I posted. The sweater set from Steinmart, the skirt on a sale rack @ Marshall's for less the $10.00, shoe's from TJ Max, husband and friends priceless.:D

This is a question for Ruth and not an answer to the OP but since we are discussing formal wear I will ask it.

We will be travelling on the Eurodam on a Baltic cruise in August. I have a winter white silk dinner suit that I would like to take for one of the formal nights. I think I read somewhere that white is not worn on northern European cruises and since Ruth took a similar cruise last summer I hope she remembers whether white was worn on formal nights. If white is not appropriate, I have a similar dinner suit in black that I could use as a substitute.

I can't remember if we had a Black & White Ball on that cruise, but we have had one on other cruises in northern climes. I do remember wearing an off-white formal myself last year. So I guess I have to say "Yes, white was worn". :D

Winter white is not a pure white. A winter white evening suit, in silk, (depending on the style, and such) may very well be fine for the evening.

I can't remember if we had a Black & White Ball on that cruise, but we have had one on other cruises in northern climes. I do remember wearing an off-white formal myself last year. So I guess I have to say "Yes, white was worn". :D

Winter white is not a pure white. A winter white evening suit, in silk, (depending on the style, and such) may very well be fine for the evening.

Thanks, Ruth, I think I will take it.

Archived