got home tonight from Island Princes

barbara brad

Just got back tonight from Panama Canal Cruise on the Island Princess.

We had a great time! The food in the Horizon Court was OK The breakfast food was sometimes cold. You are better off having an omlet made or fried eggs.

The dinners in the dining rooms where either great or awful. But still better than the bufffet

The last night we were so late we ate in the buffet and it was not good

The ship is beautiful and the help are awesome! I especially liked Martin who did most of the Trivia shows at night in the Explorers Lounge.He was a riot!!!

If you do nothing else do the Zip Line! It was the best side trip.

The best tip we had from Cruise Critic was the secret room.We were 4 of about 50 people

ON the 2 decks. Can't wait to see the pictures we took.

ANY QUESTIONS??

Just got back tonight from Panama Canal Cruise on the Island Princess.

If you do nothing else do the Zip Line! It was the best side trip.

ANY QUESTIONS??

Yes, in which port was this? Thanks ;)

Thank you for posting. Do you remember who the Cruise Director was and is his assistant, Mark Turner, still on the ship? Also, is Phil from South Africa still the DJ at the Explorers Lounge? Who was the Captain?

We will be taking the short 4-day cruise on May 7th and I was wondering if any of our friends were still on board.

The DJ in the explores was Paul

I saved all the patters !

Also about the food. There is an excellent salad bar at the Horizon Buffet and the Grill had great chicken and steak sandwiches. We never ate in the dining room for lunch so I don't know how the lunch food was in there. Several days I got the salad bar and then got a piece of grilled checken from the grill which made for an excellent lunch by the pool. Pizza was great for a snack in the afternoon. Desserts were pretty weak, don't think I had one I could rave about

Mixed drinks were pretty week. The bucket of beer, 5 for $20 was your best bet. Ordered a martini one night and asked for Absolute rasberry and chamboard with nothing else and was charged for a double for $15 dollars!!!! Hardly worth it. They were enforsing the one bottle of wine brought on at the ports.

More later.......

Just wondering how the lobster was in the dining room on formal night? We'll be cruising on the Island in June for our anniversary and we aren't sure whether to have the lobster or eat at Sabatini's instead.

It wasn't Maine Lobster! Kind of tasteless. Also Formal nights wern't very formal, pants and a nice top for women and just a tie for the men was the norm. Of cource there were some guests that were very formal!

I know the forward deck area exists on the Caribe but not sure about Baja.:confused:

Yep, Baja as well. Was in B504 on Island for Alaska and used the "secret" deck all the time. Very convenient...and practically deserted.

• 3 weeks later...

Happily going on the Panama Canal Cruise with Island Princess Dec 30/09 - can anyone tell me about the ports of call...

1. which ones should we take tours at?

2. where do the ships port?

3. do we need to take tours or can we just get off the ship & walk?

4. has anyone done this cruise over New Years Eve? If so what should we expect?

5. any tips to make our cruise awesome for us.

Two things: 1) Our zip line was in Costa Rica and at the end, if we could have, we would have gotten off and done it again. It was terrific. 2) We did a write up on the ports and tours in our write up from 3/09, you might want to check it out.

We loved the Island (partially because we got upgraded to a mini) and would love to take the same cruise again - and maybe we will.

Archived